Where’s the best food in Magic Kingdom

Hockey89

We like Skippers Canteen. It has been made a little more boring over time. Now we always ask them to make everything spicier (they have made the curried vegetable dish a little less spicy every time we've been there.)
We also tend to stick to multiple apps to share, instead of entrees. I always find the apps area of the menu is a bit better then the entrees.
So true. They warn you that it is spicy but Disney doesn’t do that. Still a very good spot.

thomas998

We like Skippers Canteen. It has been made a little more boring over time. Now we always ask them to make everything spicier (they have made the curried vegetable dish a little less spicy every time we've been there.)
We also tend to stick to multiple apps to share, instead of entrees. I always find the apps area of the menu is a bit better then the entrees.
One thing we have learned is Disney is clueless when it comes to spice. I still recall ordering blackened fish at some Disney restaurant and being warned by the waiter that it was pretty spicy. Then getting it and asking if they forgot to season it. Not only was it rather bland it was the lightest color of blackened fish I had ever seen. Even the ethnic places seem to have toned everything down to made for babies. I'm just not sure if it is to protect snowflakes or to same money on spices.

Hockey89

One thing we have learned is Disney is clueless when it comes to spice. I still recall ordering blackened fish at some Disney restaurant and being warned by the waiter that it was pretty spicy. Then getting it and asking if they forgot to season it. Not only was it rather bland it was the lightest color of blackened fish I had ever seen. Even the ethnic places seem to have toned everything down to made for babies. I'm just not sure if it is to protect snowflakes or to same money on spices.
Protect the snowflakes. For sure. They are making it for the masses.

crawale

I struggled over the thread title because I wanted to ask “where is the good food in Magic Kingdom?”

I often look at Epcot and feel so much good food is wasted between the countries and the festival booths. Animal Kingdom definitely has some good variety and Hollywood Studios is slowly making a name for itself with a few good food locations. Magic Kingdom is just the park that I never seem to want any of the food at. It’s basic theme park food and generally has little variety. My wife and I now leave the park to hit a monorail resort to eat lunch or dinner bc there are so many better food options nearby outside the park.

That said, I want to give MK another chance and I’m open to suggestions. What is your favorite places to eat at MK and what food items have you found that are surprisingly good in the park?
Be Our Guest simply because I like a decent rare steak. Servers have always been great and the atmosphere can't be beat - unless you are in the West Wing where it is too dark to read the menu. We have gone there every year since it opened and never had a bad meal.

crawale

Ordered steak tartare in Canada and it was NOT seasoned. Horrible for $20.

I struggled over the thread title because I wanted to ask “where is the good food in Magic Kingdom?”

I often look at Epcot and feel so much good food is wasted between the countries and the festival booths. Animal Kingdom definitely has some good variety and Hollywood Studios is slowly making a name for itself with a few good food locations. Magic Kingdom is just the park that I never seem to want any of the food at. It’s basic theme park food and generally has little variety. My wife and I now leave the park to hit a monorail resort to eat lunch or dinner bc there are so many better food options nearby outside the park.

That said, I want to give MK another chance and I’m open to suggestions. What is your favorite places to eat at MK and what food items have you found that are surprisingly good in the park?
The best food in the Magic Kingdom by far is the Cinderella's Royal Table but it will set you back a pretty penny. The buffet at the Crystal Palace is my second choice but again, it's not cheap per se. After that it's pretty slim pickings. Jungle Navigation Skipper Canteen would be my third choice. Be our guest restaurant is okay but not as good as you would think. Liberty Tree Tavern would be my last recommendation for food that's at least passable. The rest of the places are just not good specially for the price. Tony's Town Square gives you a chair to place your behind for the duration of a meal but the food is pretty bad in my opinion, same goes for the Plaza Restaurant. The counter service food places are all pretty bad and would do only so that you don't become famished while running around through the park.

GSP Guy

Genuinely curious.....why would it be that a restaurant (Tony's for example) would remain so bad and unpopular for so many years. I would assume a location goes through numerous staff and other changes. Perhaps someone here in the restaurant industry has some insight?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Genuinely curious.....why would it be that a restaurant (Tony's for example) would remain so bad and unpopular for so many years. I would assume a location goes through numerous staff and other changes. Perhaps someone here in the restaurant industry has some insight?
The sad truth is Disney isn't motivated to fix the issues there because it books because of the theming and location.

thomas998

You can't confuse real restaurants with the ones that Disney runs. A real restaurant will have a menu that changes with the chef or when the chef simply wants to make a change, but the Disney restaurants are run more like a McDonalds. They aren't going to change menus or recipes unless someone in the corporate HQ tells them too. Given the number of different restaurants that Disney has and the limited size of their staff at the HQ that oversees the restaurants they might take 10 years or more before they go back and revamp a restaurant. I wouldn't be surprised if they simply focus on places that are showing the lowest profit and if a place is making money they just ignore it.

UNCgolf

You can't confuse real restaurants with the ones that Disney runs. A real restaurant will have a menu that changes with the chef or when the chef simply wants to make a change, but the Disney restaurants are run more like a McDonalds. They aren't going to change menus or recipes unless someone in the corporate HQ tells them too. Given the number of different restaurants that Disney has and the limited size of their staff at the HQ that oversees the restaurants they might take 10 years or more before they go back and revamp a restaurant. I wouldn't be surprised if they simply focus on places that are showing the lowest profit and if a place is making money they just ignore it.

Disney used to run some of their restaurants like that, not all that long ago. The signatures allowed chefs to source ingredients, change the menu, etc. but all of that is gone now outside of Victoria & Albert's.

When Tony’s was serving breakfast, it was one of the best places to eat breakfast there. We always ate there for breakfast only when we were in the MK in the morning. Now we alway make reservations for Crystal Palace for the first morning and the last morning when we go. I love their omelet and gravy and sausage over biscuits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom