When would you go??

mickeysshoes

Ok..I need some input from my fellow Disney friends. I am hoping to be able to take a long weekend trip (Thur. evening - Monday) some time between early April and early August. DD is working out the last of the details for her job in the college program. And what kind of mom would I be if I did not go visit her :ROFLOL: So my question is....In the time frame of early April 2012 - early August 2012 when would you go and why.

We really enjoy early August, if you can stand to take a chance with some of the typical Florida weather. The crowds are very low. The last two years, the weather has been beautiful, with little to no humidity, although there's no promise that it won't be 95F and 100% humidity next year.

We've been going in mid- to late July and early August for over 20 years, and that first week in August is a huge difference compared to the last weekend in July in regards to crowds and sometimes weather. I've been in June and early July and the crowds are ridiculous, and from my experience booking trips for wish families for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, April can be crowded as well. May could be another good time to go, but I have no personal experience with this, it just depends on crowds or weather.

Wish your daughter good luck on her CP experience!! Amazing!

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Being that Easter is early in April next year (and I assume you mean early April being after Easter to avoid those crowds!!), I would go any weekend in April through mid-May. The weather is good, the crowds are on the low side, Epcot looks its prettiest thanks to the Flower & Garden Festival.

Since you'd be visiting your daughter, how about Mother's Day weekend, May 10-14?? The Flower & Garden Festival has a couple of Mother's Day events, I know there is a Mother's Day Brunch (not sure if that's connected to the Festival or TiW).

It's been my experience that, starting about May 19th or so, the weather gets really hot and the crowds start to pick up, both to levels that are not comfortable to me. But you live quite a ways south of me, so you probably have more of a tolerance for the really "hot heat" as my MIL calls it :lol:

Anyway, that's my suggestion and my reason why. :wave:

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

Original Poster
We really enjoy early August, if you can stand to take a chance with some of the typical Florida weather. The crowds are very low. The last two years, the weather has been beautiful, with little to no humidity, although there's no promise that it won't be 95F and 100% humidity next year.

We've been going in mid- to late July and early August for over 20 years, and that first week in August is a huge difference compared to the last weekend in July in regards to crowds and sometimes weather. I've been in June and early July and the crowds are ridiculous, and from my experience booking trips for wish families for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, April can be crowded as well. May could be another good time to go, but I have no personal experience with this, it just depends on crowds or weather.

We have been the 3rd week of August for the past 3 years so we are used to the heat...and deal with it knowing the crowds are not so bad. Thanks much for your input and well wishes for Samantha!! :wave:

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

Original Poster
Being that Easter is early in April next year (and I assume you mean early April being after Easter to avoid those crowds!!), I would go any weekend in April through mid-May. The weather is good, the crowds are on the low side, Epcot looks its prettiest thanks to the Flower & Garden Festival.

Since you'd be visiting your daughter, how about Mother's Day weekend, May 10-14?? The Flower & Garden Festival has a couple of Mother's Day events, I know there is a Mother's Day Brunch (not sure if that's connected to the Festival or TiW).

It's been my experience that, starting about May 19th or so, the weather gets really hot and the crowds start to pick up, both to levels that are not comfortable to me. But you live quite a ways south of me, so you probably have more of a tolerance for the really "hot heat" as my MIL calls it :lol:

Anyway, that's my suggestion and my reason why. :wave:

Never even thought about Mothers day!! That just might be the perfect time to go!!! Give her time to settle in and figure out what is going on. Going any later with the heat does not bother me its the HEAT AND CROWDS I would rather avoid. Will def. keep Mothers Day in mind!! Thanks!! :wave:

Upvote 0

coltow

My sister the the CP 3 different times and loved every minute of it. The plus for going summer months is that the parks are open longer hours, but you need to be prepared for the heat and some pretty big crowds. Given your time frame, I'd choose late April - early May before schools get out. Lower crowds and more comfortable weather

Upvote 0

Little John

My vote, if I had one, would be May. Stay away from the heat and crowds. You only have a short trip, so why deal with either one. The weather in May is great and the crowds are low.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

Original Poster
May is one of few time we have never been to Disney...and its sounding more and more like its the time of year to try. Now the only problem with May is the the other DD is still in school. :drevil:

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
May is one of few time we have never been to Disney...and its sounding more and more like its the time of year to try. Now the only problem with May is the the other DD is still in school. :drevil:

Ah, but you were planning a Thursday night through Monday trip--that means she'd only miss Friday and Monday. That's not so bad, right? ;) :drevil:

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

Original Poster
Ah, but you were planning a Thursday night through Monday trip--that means she'd only miss Friday and Monday. That's not so bad, right? ;) :drevil:

I dont think so...but being her senior year she might not want to miss anytime....I am still thinking and will work on her to see what she would rather do. Miss 2 days or go right after graduation in June. :shrug: I have time!!!

Upvote 0

BelleofDE

I have never been during that time frame, but I have friends and family that have.

May: Not too crowded, full FL weather hasn't kicked in yet
August: Hardly any crowds, could run into some wicked hot weather
June-July: CROWDED
April: Depending on when Easter falls

So if I was going, I'd pick May.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We've gone in May and had a great time. As posted previously, you would be getting there during pleasant weather, relatively smaller crowd conditions, and take advantage of Mothers day. We got special Mothers day pins for my wife and both grandmothers. Went for a special Mothers day brunch to celebrate the occasion.

Upvote 0

R W B

My GF and I went mid May this past year and it was great, that would be my vote. Crowds were low and it actually got chilly at night, I thought it felt great. High school seniors here get out the last week of April or first week of may, i take it it's not the same where you are? I think mothers day would be a good time to go.

Upvote 0

eroyee

Hey, Monorail Megan. GO WHITE.... we live near Lansing. We like to go to Disney in February.

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Ok..I need some input from my fellow Disney friends. I am hoping to be able to take a long weekend trip (Thur. evening - Monday) some time between early April and early August. DD is working out the last of the details for her job in the college program. And what kind of mom would I be if I did not go visit her :ROFLOL: So my question is....In the time frame of early April 2012 - early August 2012 when would you go and why.

Hi Mickeysshoes :wave:

Def LOVE August in WDW
But for a short trip id def be sayin Go During May, no need to face those crowds and heat for a weekend trip :wave:

Upvote 0

SMS55

Like others have said, Easter week is not a good idea. Too crowded. In the summer you'll have to deal with the humidity. If you are not a native Floridian that will be tough. May is not a bad time to go. I haven't been to Disney in the summer in a while, so I'll let others answer that. If you are interested in mid afternoon breaks, they are a good idea. The best advice I can give you is to get to the parks early. Especially when you are going to Magic Kingdom. It fills up quick on almost any day. I was there this past Friday. We got there about 8:45 in the morning. By 10:00am we had been on MAgic Carpets, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Splash and Big Thunder. Then the park started to get crowded and we slowed up at that point. We got some Fast Passes for Peter Pan, later for Space Mountain and dealt with a few lines at the lesser attractions, but we were done by 3:30 at Magic Kingdom. The only thing we didn't do was Grand Prix. Try to get in as many rides in as early as possible before the crowds. During the afternoon you can go take a nap and recharge for the evening, or if it's summer a dip in the pool to cool off. Afternoons are always the busiest times. Families with small kids will always leave early (unless they are crazy like us). If a park has extra magic hours in the evening, they will leave after the parades or fireworks.

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

The third week in May. Schools are still in session, crowds will be light, and the heat won't be too unbearable......

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all the great replys!! I am sold on Mothers day weekend. Sounds like a awesome time to try. I will now have to figure out when Senior exams start and that there is not any other conflict with taking DD out of school for 2 days. Me I dont care..but she has worked way to hard at her grades for me mess with anything!! :rolleyes: :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom