When Working in Disney World Means Being Stuck Living in a Cheap Motel

Goofyernmost

You can come across as a bit of a grumpy guy at times and we don't always agree, however you do also talk a lot of sense as the above post demonstrates ;).
Your, right, I do come across that way, and I do get grumpy, especially if what I am reading is BS and stems from someplace other then common sense. I get impatient with whining and the constant looking for someone else to solve our problems. So, even though I don't intend to come across that way, I'm sure at times I do.

I was just thinking about that the other day and have made the conclusion that the older we get the more grumpy we get. For one thing we have fallen out of control of our lives, our bodies, our environment and we are subject to ailments that we never even thought about a just a few years ago. It gets discouraging when you just get over one hurdle and another jumps in the way. So, if I do come across that way, I'm just frustrated like the rest of you, mine possible more in the last year and a half when I've seen the deterioration of the country and the idealism that I loved and went to war to defend. Lot's of things factor in, and there is no excuse for that behavior, but, there it is. If I have offended people, I wasn't intending to unless I was attacked and then my training is to fight back. If I was attacked first... no holds are barred. :angelic:

mergatroid

Your, right, I do come across that way, and I do get grumpy, especially if what I am reading is BS and stems from someplace other then common sense. I get impatient with whining and the constant looking for someone else to solve our problems. So, even though I don't intend to come across that way, I'm sure at times I do.

I was just thinking about that the other day and have made the conclusion that the older we get the more grumpy we get. For one thing we have fallen out of control of our lives, our bodies, our environment and we are subject to ailments that we never even thought about a just a few years ago. It gets discouraging when you just get over one hurdle and another jumps in the way. So, if I do come across that way, I'm just frustrated like the rest of you, mine possible more in the last year and a half when I've seen the deterioration of the country and the idealism that I loved and went to war to defend. Lot's of things factor in, and there is no excuse for that behavior, but, there it is. If I have offended people, I wasn't intending to unless I was attacked and then my training is to fight back. If I was attacked first... no holds are barred. :angelic:

Well now I'm fully depressed :D

As I say we don't agree with each other all the time, however you're a straight talker and what you see is what get. Got to respect that about you :cool:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Premium Member
Other companies make more total dollars and have far greater margins than Disney. Parks and Resorts make relatively low margins, around 15-20% operating margin.

Again, Disney pays market wages as do all companies. Don’t like the pay? Get a different job. There are people lining up to work at Disney. Why should they pay over market for a retail job?

And some people are wired to have empathy and others not so much. Ive always looked at life as it can change in a split second for any of us, salaries, job, car crash, illnesses so I tend not to be harsh with those less fortunate.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You accused me of judging and now that is all your post since then have been judging. So again you don't understand logic.

I haven't judged you. Perhaps you should take a few minutes to go and learn what being judgmental actually means. Since you seem to be somewhat thick (speculation, not judgement), let me quote you and spell it out for you.

Well that looking at things from someone else's perspective runs both directions.

I would have agreed with this.

Many of us worked hard, made sacrifices, developed good habits, and climbed our way up in life. Maybe it is time to acknowledge and appreciate our perspective as well.

Here you make a direct implication that while some people worked hard, I didn't and I should step back and look at things from your perspective. Remember, you were directly quoting me. You weren't generalizing.

This is being judgmental 101. I offered you the opportunity to read what you wrote again, but I guess comprehension of your own words just isn't your strong suit. :facepalm:

How about we get back to the topic now, mmkay?

Last edited:

OneofThree

No one forces one to work for a certain company or venue.

I Have also worked three part time jobs to support my wife and son at one point in the central Florida area. This even allowed my wife to stay at home because after calculating we figured out that it was going to break even to have child care, so that was not for us and she was able to be a stay at home mom. We had a glorified one bedroom apartment for my son's first years. We still went out to eat and had recreation once in awhile and found cheap entertainment. We couponed and looked for deals. There is always a business wanting your money.

I do think there are many roles that deserve more pay and many great people who deserve a chance to grow, but it is still all a choice of the company and then said people who choose to be treated that way by the company. Also, if 62,000 people all received a wage at once in a community, then others compete, all other costs of living, entertainment and food luxuries go up as well. This is why the dollar menus at most places quickly became the value menus. Not much will change in terms of a struggle, just the inflation rate grows. It is the same logic as WDW going to raise their prices as long as the demand sees they can do it and people are willing to pay.

The people of the minority wealthy, the majorly well or get by and happy with their lifestyles as well as those even making it are all fluent groups. There are certainly hands dealt in life that no one has control over, but most average intelligence and cognitive adults can change on that spectrum their entire lives, if they want it.

This is mainly a Central Florida issue as opposed to a Disney issue. Newsflash -it's only getting worse, and in an accelerated manner in the aftermath of large numbers of dislocated Puerto Ricans. It really is simple economics, where the realities are inescapable.

Smiley/OCD

Woah...we got a penalty on this play.

The standard argument that “...but it’s cheaper to live there so they should make less” is patently false.

I’ve walked in shoes in both places, kid...and basic costs are NOT measurably lower in Orange County, Florida.

Be happy to be relegated to joisey with me...where we are lucky to make more on average. Even if we have to tolerate gross places like G.A. and the seaside boardwalk 😗

First of all, to put it in Jersey speak, I AIN'T NO KID...lol, secondly, I know it's all relative, in terms of pricing and many other aspects, HOWEVER, the minimum wage is not that different between the 2 states, but the housing costs for rentals and purchases are MUCH less in Florida than in our Garden State...and let's not even get into the fact that the average property tax bill is over 10K/ year....
Yes, I know the Orlando metro area is expensive but not as bad as Jersey. Again, I KNOW, it's all relative....if you don't have the money, you don't have the money. Just when you think you have it bad, there's always someone else in worse shape.

Chef Mickey

And some people are wired to have empathy and others not so much. Ive always looked at life as it can change in a split second for any of us, salaries, job, car crash, illnesses so I tend not to be harsh with those less fortunate.
I've learned you can have empathy but you can't have it for everyone...particularly those with a way out.

I basically don't feel sorry for anyone with options.

OneofThree

I basically don't feel sorry for anyone with options.

I totally get where you're coming from, and agree with your implication that many of the popular policy "solutions" are unviable, and/or non-negotiable. At the same time, other policies have in fact created an environment in which a great deal of people now lack "options". Currently, some of the brightest economists are struggling to find a solution the coming labor armageddon.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I totally get where you're coming from, and agree with your implication that many of the popular policy "solutions" are unviable, and/or non-negotiable. At the same time, other policies have in fact created an environment in which a great deal of people now lack "options". Currently, some of the brightest economists are struggling to find a solution the coming labor armageddon.

AH HAH!

I see their error! They've failed to consult the all knowing WDWMagic forum!

:hilarious::hilarious::joyfull::cool:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First of all, to put it in Jersey speak, I AIN'T NO KID...lol, secondly, I know it's all relative, in terms of pricing and many other aspects, HOWEVER, the minimum wage is not that different between the 2 states, but the housing costs for rentals and purchases are MUCH less in Florida than in our Garden State...and let's not even get into the fact that the average property tax bill is over 10K/ year....
Yes, I know the Orlando metro area is expensive but not as bad as Jersey. Again, I KNOW, it's all relative....if you don't have the money, you don't have the money. Just when you think you have it bad, there's always someone else in worse shape.

Ok...I’m just pointing out that the things a low paid employee would need to contend with - food, fuel, basic costs, etc. - are really not lower in Florida. Poverty would feel exactly the same if not worse in many instances.

New jersey isn’t much of a rental market in many places - I actually rent out our previous house - so that drives demand and inflates prices. Lack of supply.

And property tax differences are largely irrelevant...in central Florida one of the reasons it is a rental dominated market is lack of pay/cash to ever get the house. The women in this article won’t likely have property taxes on her radar. That’s a “first world problem”. That’s a “NJ 101.5” thing. Our property taxes are high because we have actual municipal services and infrastructure -
Too many in many cases - Florida doesn’t roll like that. But no more NJ...

I’ll meet you at Midway for a sausage sandwich and we can talk it out...Celluloid can come too 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
...yeah, but you seem like one of dem “reader” types...and the talking picture panel tells me that faceless, nameless employees are all just lazy. It makes it easier to sleep 😴

Goofyernmost

Yeah...you went Econ textbook here...and used the clown prince as an example...so we’re gonna have to agree to disagree here.

But the one thing I have to ask is what on earth makes you think people are lining up to work there?!?!

The availability and long term costs of labor is the biggest obstacle for future expansion since the 90’s in florida. You can choose to think they have a line backed up to I-4 from casting...but it is not true.

This is the same ole...willing to pay massive increases in prices on everything but only tolerating minimum wages for them to be peddled to you. Following the pied piper of a tired old theory that should have died in the late 20th century.

So we can just look at it our own ways and Co-exist. I don’t believe full time employees shouldn’t have at least a chance of meeting basic needs. That’s not necessarily Disney’s problem...this seems to be a housing issue...but everyone and everything is connected...

...like what mufasa said 🦁
Just one question... if help is so hard to find, what's with the layoffs. If you can't find enough people to do the job why would you send them packing? I think you are underestimating the numbers of people that are willing to step in at any time. There is a fantasy connected with working for Disney, and it isn't about to just stop. When it does you will see the pay scale rise quite quickly.

Walt even had the answer to the housing problem when he built the Disney complex in Burbank. He wanted to build an apartment building on property so that the employee's of the studio would never have to leave. Back in the day they called that "Owing my soul to the company store". That was even part of EPCOT. A place where people could live and work, surely he wasn't talking about front line CM's because he never had a thought of paying them enough to live in that futuristic community.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Ok...I’m just pointing out that the things a low paid employee would need to contend with - food, fuel, basic costs, etc. - are really not lower in Florida. Poverty would feel exactly the same if not worse in many instances.

New jersey isn’t much of a rental market in many places - I actually rent out our previous house - so that drives demand and inflates prices. Lack of supply.

And property tax differences are largely irrelevant...in central Florida one of the reasons it is a rental dominated market is lack of pay/cash to ever get the house. The women in this article won’t likely have property taxes on her radar. That’s a “first world problem”. That’s a “NJ 101.5” thing. Our property taxes are high because we have actual municipal services and infrastructure -
Too many in many cases - Florida doesn’t roll like that. But no more NJ...

I’ll meet you at Midway for a sausage sandwich and we can talk it out...Celluloid can come too 😉
Any time, or Rutt's Hut or Jimmy Buffs!...see, there ARE some advantages of living in NJ!!! LOL

raven

I just love when people compare their own cities to Orlando and they think they know everything. Until you’ve walked the walk for at least 5 years here to personally see the impact, your comments carry little weight.

EricsBiscuit

No, they aren’t. But they still exist and need to be filled. So if you suggest that everyone just find a real career instead of these jobs then the entire place would close. Again, someone else has to do the job and the cycle continues.

The cost of living in Orlando is outrageous compared to the amount of minimum wage jobs that keep the industry alive. If you wiped out all of those jobs everything would crash. And the price of housing will not fall.
You said it yourself, the positions are being filled. If the positions are being filled, they shouldn't/don't have to raise wages.
I support the push to raise the minimum wage to $15 for one simple reason: the recent tax cuts offered to corporations means that they can afford to raise workers’ pay to a real living wage instead of average folks having to subsidize those wages through our tax dollars (food stamps, housing, etc.). It should be CEOs and shareholders taking care of their own employees, not me. I prefer my tax dollars to go to education, public roads, and national parks.
No no no no no. Minimum wage hurts people. The economy as a whole would be better off if minimum wage was abolished. If you want to see the economy actually grow, the governments need to stay away from the extra money companies will get from the tax cut. Nobody should be able to tell me how much to pay my employees. That's for the market and me to figure out. Disney has no need to raise wages. And, it's not for the government to tell Disney how to run their business!

FireChiefGoofy

What is your opinion on what a Disney bus driver should make? They have the responsibility of you and 75 others traveling down the highway and are held accountable for their actions in their personal vehicle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom