When will the Disneyland Resort reopen? (2021 Version)

What month (or day) will the Disneyland Resort reopen

• April-May 2021

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • June 2021

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • July 2021

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • July 17, 2021 (Bonus points if you pick this one)

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • August-September 2021

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • October-December 2021

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

TheRealBobIger

Original Poster
Since our numbers are going down here in California and our Governor Gav Gav is starting to feel pressure I have decided to start the 2021 version of when “Will the Disneyland Resort reopen with attractions!”

Once again I am going to say July 17th since I have heard that day is always special in Anaheim!

TP2000

I voted for July 17th, 2021.

I don't think people realize how long it's going to take to restaff, restock, retrain and reorganize the Disneyland Resort once Governor Newsom reverses his previous Science & Data with all new Science & Data that allows theme parks to reopen.

It's going to take a while to get Disneyland reopened after a 15 month long closure. So I vote July 17th.

Darkbeer1

The working date for the actual permission to open the doors is May. You will notice that other parks are starting to hire, and even advertise Spring openings (SFMM), including water parks.

>>About 1,700 jobs will be offered during the Buena Park theme park’s hiring event scheduled for March 13. Positions include amusement operators, food services, merchandise, lifeguards, cleaning, park services and others.<<

Once that permission happens, there will be a lot of pressure to reopen.

So I see many parks opening in late May, but TP2000 brings up the "large" Disney Machine, so I picked June to give them a few more weeks.

Of course, these are working dates that you will see in Hotel Openings, such as the Westin in June, etc.

SuddenStorm

The working date for the actual permission to open the doors is May. You will notice that other parks are starting to hire, and even advertise Spring openings (SFMM), including water parks.

>>About 1,700 jobs will be offered during the Buena Park theme park’s hiring event scheduled for March 13. Positions include amusement operators, food services, merchandise, lifeguards, cleaning, park services and others.<<

So I see many parks opening in late May, but TP2000 brings up the "large" Disney Machine, so I picked June to give them a few more weeks.

Of course, these are working dates that you will see in Hotel Openings, such as the Westin in June, etc.

Now this is big news. It's about time, and it's delightfully refreshing to see theme parks hiring and gearing up to reopen. I know nothing is guaranteed, but I'm hopeful that things will move a bit more in the park's favor this time around when trying to reopen.

I've been considering a WDW trip, but if Disneyland's reopen is potentially 3 months away I may just hold out for that. Though I've never been to Florida, so I should probably make the trip out to the swamps for Universal and Disney World anyways, just to see what all the hype is.

SuddenStorm

I voted for July 17th, 2021.

I don't think people realize how long it's going to take to restaff, restock, retrain and reorganize the Disneyland Resort once Governor Newsom reverses his previous Science & Data with all new Science & Data that allows theme parks to reopen.

It's going to take a while to get Disneyland reopened after a 15 month long closure. So I vote July 17th.

This is purely anecdotal, but I was talking to a friend who was working Indiana Jones Adventure prior to the closure. She was initially planning on returning to Disneyland when they reopened, but when I talked to her last night she said that she doesn't plan on going back to Disneyland now.

I have to imagine there are quite a few others. Of course, her job takes a week or two to train for- so she is replaceable. But having to train thousands from scratch will complicate the process a bit, and if not enough trainers and salaried management come back it could be very interesting watching Disney try to restaff the park.

I anticipate a leaner workforce, and depending on demand I'd expect TDA to be a tad more selective in their hiring process. They'll want heavy hitters, people who are actually motivated to get that place up and running and deliver any semblance of decent service for the public's reintroduction to Disneyland. Or, maybe I'm giving TDA to much credit...

TP2000

This is purely anecdotal, but I was talking to a friend who was working Indiana Jones Adventure prior to the closure. She was initially planning on returning to Disneyland when they reopened, but when I talked to her last night she said that she doesn't plan on going back to Disneyland now.

There's got to be thousands and thousands of stories like that.

Of course, her job takes a week or two to train for- so she is replaceable. But having to train thousands from scratch will complicate the process a bit, and if not enough trainers and salaried management come back it could be very interesting watching Disney try to restaff the park.

The majority of these jobs are entry-level, unskilled positions. They routinely staff rides and restaurants and shops and ticket booths with 18 year old kids who may, or may not, have a high school diploma. It takes them two weeks to train them, from Day 1 orientation to Day 9 tests.

But trying to do that on a mass scale, with tens of thousands of CM's, in an attempt to restart and restaff a theme park complex that has been closed for over a year is something they've never done before. There's no precedent for it.

I don't envy TDA's executive team for one second. Hopefully this Mr. Potrock, who has never worked a single day in the theme park or hospitality industry, is the right man for that job. :oops:

I anticipate a leaner workforce, and depending on demand I'd expect TDA to be a tad more selective in their hiring process. They'll want heavy hitters, people who are actually motivated to get that place up and running and deliver any semblance of decent service for the public's reintroduction to Disneyland. Or, maybe I'm giving TDA to much credit...

There's no way they're going to be able to just reopen Disneyland in 2021 as it was in early March, 2020. With all the shops and restaurants and minor rides operating; Canoes, StoryBookLand, Main St. Magic Shop, Blue Bayou, Golden Zephyr, Red Car Trolley, etc., etc.

I mean, they could do that, but it would only drag out the retraining and restaffing process even further. We'd be talking about a Labor Day opening date instead of July 17th.

In short, they are totally hosed. I can't even imagine the level of anxiety and stress inside TDA among those who realize the monumental task they now face. :eek:

fctiger

Goody, another poll for all of us to be proven wrong yet again lol!

I voted June 2020 in the first poll, so I'm rolling the dice again a year later and voted June again.

But things are looking up more now. President Biden now says everyone will be able to get the vaccine in May, two months ahead what they promised a month ago. Again, anything can change but I really trust Biden and if he says that's the plan,, then I don't see why major theme parks can't be open by June?? It will still be phased openings, limited capacity, etc, so I think it's more doable than ever.

CaptinEO

Goody, another poll for all of us to be proven wrong yet again lol!

I voted June 2020 in the first poll, so I'm rolling the dice again a year later and voted June again.

But things are looking up more now. President Biden now says everyone will be able to get the vaccine in May, two months ahead what they promised a month ago. Again, anything can change but I really trust Biden and if he says that's the plan,, then I don't see why major theme parks can't be open by June?? It will still be phased openings, limited capacity, etc, so I think it's more doable than ever.
The guy also said something about 2000 dollar checks within a week of him taking office. I'll take everything with a grain of salt.

SuddenStorm

The majority of these jobs are entry-level, unskilled positions. They routinely staff rides and restaurants and shops and ticket booths with 18 year old kids who may, or may not, have a high school diploma. It takes them two weeks to train them, from Day 1 orientation to Day 9 tests.

But trying to do that on a mass scale, with tens of thousands of CM's, in an attempt to restart and restaff a theme park complex that has been closed for over a year is something they've never done before. There's no precedent for it.

I don't envy TDA's executive team for one second. Hopefully this Mr. Potrock, who has never worked a single day in the theme park or hospitality industry, is the right man for that job. :oops:

The best thing Mr. Potrock can do is defer to those in TDA who have been at the resort for decades. Every major area of resort operations- attractions, entertainment, food and beverage, and merchandise have people who have been at the resort for years and years. At all levels, from hourly (a guy I worked with was number 2 seniority food prep at the resort, and talked about trying to get scheduled to work Elizabeth Taylor's birthday...) to mid and senior level management.

Frankly, I'm not sure these managers need Mr. Potrock. They know what they're doing, and Mr. Potrock would be best to dialogue with them, find out what they need to get Disneyland up and running, and function as a liaison between TDA and Burbank.

There's no way they're going to be able to just reopen Disneyland in 2021 as it was in early March, 2020. With all the shops and restaurants and minor rides operating; Canoes, StoryBookLand, Main St. Magic Shop, Blue Bayou, Golden Zephyr, Red Car Trolley, etc., etc.

I mean, they could do that, but it would only drag out the retraining and restaffing process even further. We'd be talking about a Labor Day opening date instead of July 17th.

In short, they are totally hosed. I can't even imagine the level of anxiety and stress inside TDA among those who realize the monumental task they now face. :eek:

Do we expect DCA to have a full reopen before Disneyland? I mean with the food festival it's basically just a matter of staffing the attractions. And many of those attractions are far newer then anything at Disneyland so I'd anticipate them to be in a bit better shape after a year of unplanned closure. If they're given permission to reopen in May, I could very easily see them able to staff and get DCA up and running far quicker then Disneyland.

SuddenStorm

These jobs have always had high turnover, but I sincerely believe that 95% of the people fired from back in March of last year aren't coming back. It's like starting over again.

This will be incredibly difficult, as TP2000 mentioned..

Depending on how things are looking I may have to apply, just for the heck of it. Plus, who wouldn't want to see what Disneyland's like operationally from the inside after a year of unplanned closure...

TP2000

You can thank Operation Warp Speed for any vaccine supply available from December, 2020 to about September, 2021. But after those first nine months already planned for and paid for by the previous administration? That part will be all Biden!

Go, Joe, go! (effective September, 2021)

TP2000

Depending on how things are looking I may have to apply, just for the heck of it. Plus, who wouldn't want to see what Disneyland's like operationally from the inside after a year of unplanned closure...

Please do! And report back here what you can.

It could be an incredible experience. Restarting an abandoned Disneyland after it sat there fallow for 15 months.

That's like a bizarre Sci-Fi novel come to life.

fctiger

You can thank Operation Warp Speed for any vaccine supply available from December, 2020 to about September, 2021. But after those first nine months already planned for and paid for by the previous administration? That part will be all Biden!

Go, Joe, go! (effective September, 2021)

Trump couldn't even show himself getting vaccinated because he was afraid his loons might think he supported something they hated. And as said before, it's not just creating the virus it's distributing it which Trump was an utter disaster on. He does get credit for getting the virus made though. But if he was still President, it would've stayed a disaster.

fctiger

The guy also said something about 2000 dollar checks within a week of him taking office. I'll take everything with a grain of salt.

Welcome to the last four years for most of the country lol.

And the money is coming, right? He's been in office for what, 6 weeks now? How long did it take $600 checks to get negotiated before that? Oh yeah, that's right, 8 months. But $1400 two months after taking office, utter failure I guess.

the_rich

Now this is big news. It's about time, and it's delightfully refreshing to see theme parks hiring and gearing up to reopen. I know nothing is guaranteed, but I'm hopeful that things will move a bit more in the park's favor this time around when trying to reopen.

I've been considering a WDW trip, but if Disneyland's reopen is potentially 3 months away I may just hold out for that. Though I've never been to Florida, so I should probably make the trip out to the swamps for Universal and Disney World anyways, just to see what all the hype is.
Honestly you should go just for animal kingdom. I think its so unique and needs to be seen at least once.

macefamily

Forget about the Presidents. Speak of your loon hypocrite Governor in CA. The mess that you have out there is because of him and his administration. Now TX is ready to open up, and PA opened up more as of yesterday. Stay closed out there and hurt small businesses and large businesses such as Disney. What a joke. You should all thank Skeletor Pelosi for the truckload of cash she got to bail CA and NY out since your states are so poorly run.

fctiger

Forget about the Presidents. Speak of your loon hypocrite Governor in CA. The mess that you have out there is because of him and his administration. Now TX is ready to open up, and PA opened up more as of yesterday. Stay closed out there and hurt small businesses and large businesses such as Disney. What a joke. You should all thank Skeletor Pelosi for the truckload of cash she got to bail CA and NY out since your states are so poorly run.

Yeah Texas has been the beacon of great leadership and crisis management the last year. I have friends live there, they still can't drink the water from their faucets. And everyone been saying for them to go with no masks at this point is just insane.

ToTBellHop

This makes the most sense to me, as well. WDW is a behemoth (but one that only closed 4 months, to be fair) and it opened about a month after Universal. For DL, however, the only limitation is training since the physical infrastructure is already in place for a socially-distant reopening.

Also, I highly doubt Gavy-Poo announces 5/28 that parks can reopen 5/31. I would expect several weeks advanced notice for parks to put together their plans, propose them, and gain approval—time during which CM hiring and training can commence.

Disney will want the parks open for as much of summer as they can. They’ve lost enough money as it is. If guests will be expected to dispatch their own Matterhorn Bobsled, so be it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom