When will Indy & PotC get Disney+ spinoffs?

RandySavage

Original Poster
With platinum brands Marvel and Star Wars getting multiple spin-offs per franchise, how about a little love for Disney's other elite-but-feeling-ignored adventure properties: Pirates & Indiana Jones, both well-suited for short & expensive serial-style shows, like The Mandalorian.

I'm sure it's been discussed inside... so make it happen, Bob!

RandySavage

Original Poster
^I'd welcome docs on those rides, as well.

The Spin-offs I'm imagining would divorce themselves from the major stars of the films (Depp & Ford), with perhaps a cameo.

PotC Filmic Universe, has an established feel, roster of characters and mythology, so it should be easy to take minor film characters and/or invent new characters and build adventures around them.

Indy, on the other hand, is more reliant on the central character (though not impossible to build a spin-off around Abner Ravenwood, Short-round, etc). The 1990s Young Indiana Jones Chronicles were the opposite of The Mandalorian: Really long (every ep was longer than most movies today!), slow & tedious. Dull is the opposite of what an Indy tv show needed to be. A new Young Indy show could benefit from a much shorter length and lighter, more comedy-horror feel of the "Old Serial", while greatly increasing the set pieces and special effects.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would say never and “unlikely”

I don’t think a “family” pirates series is gonna have enough meat on the bones. There needs to be an element of villainy to make it engaging.

I think Indy is dead. I think that - much more so than Star Wars - was a product of its time and the world has changed.
Besides...that concept is much more dependent by the writer, director and star...and they’re all basically moved on.

Cosmic Commando

Pirates feels like it needs a big budget (one which current popularity cannot support), with costumes and ships and location shooting. You have to assume that Indy 5, if it ever actually happens, will try to introduce some spin-off-able characters like the last one did.

I did just think of a fun game, though... if Disney launched Disney+ in x year, what would the originals be? If it was launched in 2006, we probably would have had Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow for six episodes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Pirates feels like it needs a big budget (one which current popularity cannot support), with costumes and ships and location shooting. You have to assume that Indy 5, if it ever actually happens, will try to introduce some spin-off-able characters like the last one did.

I did just think of a fun game, though... if Disney launched Disney+ in x year, what would the originals be? If it was launched in 2006, we probably would have had Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow for six episodes.

...and in 2018, they would have balked at that idea and ejected him due to high salary demands as fast as you can say: “Robert Downey Jr.” 😉

RandySavage

Original Poster
Indy is most certainly not Dead.

It's an iconic & timeless media franchise, currently in hibernation, though stories involving globe-trotting, treasure hunts for Antiquities remain consistently popular (e.g. Uncharted), and Indy is king of this genre. Anecdotally, Indy still gets the biggest cheer at the DHS nighttime show. I do feel that Harrison Ford - as tremendous as the gift he gave us in playing the character is - is now the obstacle in moving forward with the series in not giving his blessing to re-cast, James Bond style.

I also think the sweetspot for the Franchise is pre-1945. Treasure hunting in a Period era is more romantic. For the supposedly upcoming movie, I really don't care to see a septuagenarian Indy navigating the 60s... unless he is used as a framing device and most of the adventures take place as a flashback with a De-Aged body double.

Regarding budgets, Disney could test the waters with an animated version of both Pirates & Indy, as they did with Star Wars:

PotC films are notorious for their massive budgets, but Black Sails proved Pirate-era shows can be done convincingly and on a budget (CGI instead of filming at sea). Getting good writers will be key (give Elliot & Rossio a 30-minute format to work with and they might come back).

Indy_UK

Indy I think it more suited for the Big screen but there’s nothing to say that with a good reboot it cant be bigger than ever and span over a lot more films.

pirates I think would allow a lot more smaller stories that like Star Wars, could span off the main films.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom