• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

When will Galaxys Edge have Fast Pass?

JusticeDisney

Premium Member
Except as I stated if you came into the park in the afternoon and all fastpass return times had been distributed, that’s not an option to you. If there are no FP are available you can’t have one. We had this situation for Radiator Springs Racers at DCA and we waited over two hours in standby as FP was not available and we wouldn’t have been able to ride otherwise. Whereas currently with the Millennium Falcon there is a fast moving standby line as the only option.
I hear what you’re saying. But as I stated, I’ve never once had a situation where I didn’t get the fastpasses that I wanted. And I don’t do anything special in that regard either. I simply get up early on my 60-day mark and get everything I want. So I have no reason to expect that I would ever be limited to the choices that you are giving me.

Advertisement
For those who are anti-fastpass, would you be content if the Disneyland FP system was used at WDW? I'm not sure if it would be feasible with the difference in crowd size and number of attractions, but I'm asking more in principle. Seems to me that it acts much more as a true "virtual queue". Would you see this as a solution? Better than the FP+, but still a problem? Worse?

mmcclory324

Original Poster
For those who are anti-fastpass, would you be content if the Disneyland FP system was used at WDW? I'm not sure if it would be feasible with the difference in crowd size and number of attractions, but I'm asking more in principle. Seems to me that it acts much more as a true "virtual queue". Would you see this as a solution? Better than the FP+, but still a problem? Worse?
What’s the difference?

What’s the difference?
The DL version is only "day of" FP. Once you're in the park, you can get fastpasses one at a time. This also means no tiers. Once you've scanned in to the attraction, you can secure the next one. Essentially, like WDW after you've used your 3 advance ones. The paper ones are still available in DL, but it can be done via the app (Maxpass). There is an additional cost for the Maxpass option.

tabecker259

Fastpass+ is nothing more than Disney making crowds predictable and data mining those results. If the overall experience gave any advantage to the guest, the service wouldn’t be free. The Mouse always wins.

tabecker259

When
This system might not work for the trolls (unless you go during a hurricane) but it works for a majority of the people. Sorry.
Your definition of “works” is skewed. You’re looking at short term gains only, and only gains that affect you. The net result is negative for everyone except for TWDC.

DisneyDreamer08

The DL version is only "day of" FP. Once you're in the park, you can get fastpasses one at a time. This also means no tiers. Once you've scanned in to the attraction, you can secure the next one. Essentially, like WDW after you've used your 3 advance ones. The paper ones are still available in DL, but it can be done via the app (Maxpass). There is an additional cost for the Maxpass option.
DL’s version is essentially what WDW’s used to be. Getting paper fast passes one at a time through out the day. I actually much prefer that system, there was less pre-planning involved and it was easier to get multiple FPs in the same day. However, we are a rope drop family. The problem with the old system was when people would get to a park around lunch time, either by choice or because they were park hopping, and fastpasses for the headliners would be gone for the day. Offering FPs online, weeks early, gives everyone a ‘fair shot’.

mmcclory324

Original Poster
Your definition of “works” is skewed. You’re looking at short term gains only, and only gains that affect you. The net result is negative for everyone except for TWDC.
I would respectfully disagree. I would say it works for the majority of people that attend the parks. Disney has over 30,000 hotel rooms and an average of well over 100,000 people occupy those rooms. The average daily attendance for MK is approx 56,000. It does not seem to work for people that cannot get at the 60 day window. And it has worked for me since its been instituted in 1999 (and ultimately 2013 as i was part of the test pilot program for FP+ during a trip) so that is not short term. The whole reason why Disney began FP was because attendance was starting to suffer because of customer satisfaction was low because of extended wait times. So those of you that argue that wait times have gone up I have to say you are in the small minority.

SirWillow

I would say it would be an improvement. It's pretty similar to what WDW's used to be, with the addition of being able to book them on your phone. No advance booking, which I think is an improvement.

But another big change needs to be the number of fastpasses they are allowing to be booked for each ride. At this point there are 7-10 times more fastpass riders than standby riders being allowed to ride, depending on the ride. That's what has it all screwed up. The numbers are completely backwards. The numbers on fastpass should be much smaller than standby, and then both could work efficiently.

I don't like the prices that Universal charges for their system, but the simple fact is that it works great for both the Express passholders and for the standby waiters. the numbers are small enough that it doesn't affect the standby lines much, while at the same time you get a very short wait if you have the express pass.

As horrible as it might sound to many (including myself), I'm at a point where I almost wouldn't mind seeing Fastpass removed entirely except as a paid add on with a moderate to higher price, and finally balance out those lines again. Because Fastpass+ especially has really ruined the standby wait on just about everything.

IMFearless

In my opinion Fastpass Plus has levelled the playing field in several ways:

1. It has improved the experience for the average guest, but in order to achieve this it has made things harder for those guests who were in the know before Fastpass+ and knew how to maximise their time and the paper fastpass system.

2. It has removed guests from standby lines at E tickets and diverted them to other attractions either via Fastpass+ or into the standby lines.

3. It has increased standby waits at most C and D ticket attractions where FP+ is available, particularly the people eaters which would previously enjoy short waits most of the time.

It is essentially a rationing system that allocates ride capacity in a non-linear fashion and as such creates artificial lines where they would not exist otherwise.

I think the reason most people on these boards who dislike do so is that they were probably getting more rides than the average guest, before the introduction of Fastpass+

The new system has made multiple re-rides on the best attractions a thing of the past.

dreamfinder912

I would respectfully disagree. I would say it works for the majority of people that attend the parks. Disney has over 30,000 hotel rooms and an average of well over 100,000 people occupy those rooms. The average daily attendance for MK is approx 56,000. It does not seem to work for people that cannot get at the 60 day window. And it has worked for me since its been instituted in 1999 (and ultimately 2013 as i was part of the test pilot program for FP+ during a trip) so that is not short term. The whole reason why Disney began FP was because attendance was starting to suffer because of customer satisfaction was low because of extended wait times. So those of you that argue that wait times have gone up I have to say you are in the small minority.
You're right, it does work for you and others like you who know and have known how to use it to the best level. That 7am start time 60-90 days out depending on your room and budget gets you exactly what you need. But what about the other resort guests? They also have that 60 day window, but maybe they don't know you have to be up at 7 the day that window opens and work backwards through your reservation time in order to get things like FoP and 7DMT. Or maybe they DO know but they don't want to decide 60 days out that "yes that Tuesday I'll do Fantasmic" because Fantasmic won't perform in bad weather and they could waste an entire day on a hope 60 days out. Maybe they're new to Disney but someone told them about 7am. So they booked things like SSE and Pixar...not knowing that you can get those at any time and there were other rides you should aim for. Or they know and they don't want to have to micromanage a vacation for several months in advance. Those are resort guests, just like you. And now they're forced to use standby, because only a tiny portion of people know which fps to get and when.

I get it, this system works for you and your family, just like using DVC rooms for planned vacations and just waiting until bad weather rolls around for "busy" attractions work for me. But for the vast majority of people, whether through ignorance or lack of will, FP+ doesn't work.

Trackmaster

In my opinion Fastpass Plus has levelled the playing field in several ways:

1. It has improved the experience for the average guest, but in order to achieve this it has made things harder for those guests who were in the know before Fastpass+ and knew how to maximise their time and the paper fastpass system.

2. It has removed guests from standby lines at E tickets and diverted them to other attractions either via Fastpass+ or into the standby lines.

3. It has increased standby waits at most C and D ticket attractions where FP+ is available, particularly the people eaters which would previously enjoy short waits most of the time.

It is essentially a rationing system that allocates ride capacity in a non-linear fashion and as such creates artificial lines where they would not exist otherwise.

I think the reason most people on these boards who dislike do so is that they were probably getting more rides than the average guest, before the introduction of Fastpass+

The new system has made multiple re-rides on the best attractions a thing of the past.
This post was music to my ears! So well thought out, and not just yammering and complaining. I think that the paperticket FP had its winners and losers and FP+ has its winners and losers. No system creates capacity out of thing air, and they're just meant to manage waits, not eliminate them.

Paper ticket FP is best for guests who are planning to stay the whole day, and if you can really enjoy yourself in the park without having to get on E-tickets. Its a way to get on almost everything without ever having to really set foot in line.

FP+ is great for two people
  • Vacationers who are staying on site and can take advantage of the 60+ day window. Obviously they get a big giveaway, but its also a way to make sure that they'll get on what they want to get on when they may not come back for awhile.
  • Ironically, its great for savvy locals who don't plan on staying long per visit. You get three guaranteed rides per day, and will get everything they want except for FoP, Slinky, and 7D at the 30 day mark (and they can pound for those). If you don't stay more than four hours, everything tends to be on FP+, as you use up for three guaranteed, and 1 or more others on lower tier rides, and walk-on to lower tiers, or do SRL. And, a hidden benefit is that you get a look into how busy it will be the day before or day of, and can not bother going if everything is wiped out.
The losers tend to be people who don't preplan, vacationers who stay off-site, AP holders who only do whole day trips, park hoppers, and people who want to marathon rides.

While it sounds like there's more losers than winners, I think think that encouraging people to stay on site, and encouraging AP holders to take many short visits is something that Disney would approve of. If you're not using FP+ thoughtfully, than at worst its making you wait in longer long lines, and at best its giving you some shorter waits, and dumping that time onto stand-by waits.

Just think of it like a reservation system. You make reservations, and that's your ride production. Otherwise, you're seeing the sites, going to the shows, hitting up the less popular rides, doing the SRLs, eating the food, etc.

Skibum1970

Personally, if the lines move with a high capacity ride, why bother with FP+? Lines are just part of going to any amusement park and Disney has incredibly themed queue lines on several rides. FP+ has added nothing, in my opinion. Heck. for FoP, the FP+ queue is extremely boring and has none of the cool features that you experience in the standby line. I know that it's a net-net situation, FP+ or no FP+. Same number of rides and all that. However, when the line moves consistently, people don't mind the lines.

Hopefully, I can ride both rides in SW:GE prior to the FP+ implementation.

I've done a tour and didn't like it. I like being able to do what I want when I want. I would pay a hefty sum for an unlimited option that wasnt connected to a tour.
That's what touring with the plaids does. You tell them what you want to do, no lines, no waiting, reservations for anything you want magically open up. $425+ an hour with an 7 hour minimum.

Top Bottom