When will Disneyland build another theme park in Anaheim? - Orange County Register/Robert Niles

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/02/when-will-disneyland-build-another-theme-park-in-anaheim/

>>
Will Disneyland ever expand to add a third theme park to the resort?

Fans have been speculating about a third gate at Disneyland ever since it expanded to add its second gate, Disney California Adventure, in 2001. With sibling Walt Disney World in Florida offering four theme parks, many fans on the West Coast want to see Disney’s original theme park resort catch up.

But fans can’t wish theme parks into existence like Aladdin with the Genie’s lamp. Walt Disney built Disneyland in Anaheim because his hired consultant, Harrison “Buzz” Price, studied the feasibility of multiple sites and determined that Anaheim provided the best opportunity for Disneyland to become a success. Since then, Price’s feasibility standards have become industry gospel in judging potential locations for theme parks.<<

More at the link/

Jedi Stitch

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/02/when-will-disneyland-build-another-theme-park-in-anaheim/

>>
Will Disneyland ever expand to add a third theme park to the resort?

Fans have been speculating about a third gate at Disneyland ever since it expanded to add its second gate, Disney California Adventure, in 2001. With sibling Walt Disney World in Florida offering four theme parks, many fans on the West Coast want to see Disney’s original theme park resort catch up.

But fans can’t wish theme parks into existence like Aladdin with the Genie’s lamp. Walt Disney built Disneyland in Anaheim because his hired consultant, Harrison “Buzz” Price, studied the feasibility of multiple sites and determined that Anaheim provided the best opportunity for Disneyland to become a success. Since then, Price’s feasibility standards have become industry gospel in judging potential locations for theme parks.<<

More at the link/
@Darkbeer1 thanks for the link. It was an interesting article. Logistics it the key word about a third gate. After experiencing WDW and DLR, My family would prefer WDW even though DLR is closer and cheaper to do, for the one fact. Logistics. Right now I will throw that word around to mean many difference issues, but it could be balled up to the L word. Disney hit a home run with Magic Bands, every level of resort for price, 4 parks 2 water parks, Dining Plan. WDW all rides were revamped for a fast pass. I could literally prepay my vacation. DLR would have to revamp for MB, and fast pass all attractions. They would have to start offering designated bleacher seating for shows and parades especially with a meal combo. My wife was none to happy to spend $120 total for 3 KFC meals to only get a "special" chunk of sidewalk to watch the parade from, and then have to police the area from all the late johnny comealong trying to find and open parade spot. The existing parks would need a major overhaul, and the 3rd gate would have to pre-planned to handle the higher expectations that WDW has created. On top of all that, Disney would have to secretly buy up land around it, and then have to build 8 more resort hotels to include value level to stay competitive, and have more on property guests. That is the other issue. On property perks. Right now, to stay at Paradise Pier Hotel you are dropping $300 a night that is the lowest tier lodging available. That is three nights at a good neighbor hotel. I would love to see a third gate, but Disney would have to take another Billion Dollar Gamble, and I don't think any CEO has a golden parachute big enough to land back on their feet if it was to fail.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I can answer that question in three words without even opening the article, Not Anytime Soon....

While the fandom would love it, it doesn't make much sense right now with all that is going on in Anaheim.

Too many things would have to go Disney's way before they consider a third park, in my opinion they would be:

1. Anaheim politics would have to shift back to being pro-Disney and stay there for a significant period of time.
2. The 4th hotel would need to be approved and built.
3. Eastern Gateway would have to be approved and built.
4. Disney would have to buy up most of the Harbor businesses to Katella, including Gardenwalk.
5. Disney would need to buy up most of the block between Katella and Orangewood around the Toy Story lot.
6. Harbor between I-5 to at least Katella would need to go below grade similar to Disneyland Dr.

Once all that is done then they create the "Disney Bubble" with a 3rd gate and companion hotel, and allow for free flow of guests from one park to the next.

SSG

I couldn't read the article as it's behind a pay-wall, but these articles pop up every few months. They usually amount to saying a third gate is possible but highly unlikely. So many pre-conditions would need to occur and logistical issues solved before a third gate could happen that it is nearly impossible

In any event, Iger revealed his plan back when GE was announced. Disney will build out every available foot of space at the resort. That's the path. GE will use up what expansion available at Disneyland. Marvel will do the same at DCA. Then, existing areas will be converted (Maybe ToonTown, HollywoodLand, Tomorrowland re-do, etc.). All of this will take a very long time.

Let's put it this way. I'm a middle-aged man and, barring some drastic changes in conditions, I don't expect to see a third gate in my lifetime.

socalifornian

I couldn't read the article as it's behind a pay-wall, but these articles pop up every few months. They usually amount to saying a third gate is possible but highly unlikely. So many pre-conditions would need to occur and logistical issues solved before a third gate could happen that it is nearly impossible

In any event, Iger revealed his plan back when GE was announced. Disney will build out every available foot of space at the resort. That's the path. GE will use up what expansion available at Disneyland. Marvel will do the same at DCA. Then, existing areas will be converted (Maybe ToonTown, HollywoodLand, Tomorrowland re-do, etc.). All of this will take a very long time.

Let's put it this way. I'm a middle-aged man and, barring some drastic changes in conditions, I don't expect to see a third gate in my lifetime.

I tried viewing it in “Private” mode on iOS and it worked surprisingly

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Here is a bit more...

>>Even if Disney somehow managed to conjure the hundreds of acres of empty land it would need to build a third park in Anaheim, adding that capacity might not make the best business sense for the company.

“Theme parks get built where there is a burgeoning middle class with money to spend and nothing to spend it on,” Dave Cobb of Los Angeles’ Thinkwell Group, who served as creative director for the new Warner Bros. World theme park in Abu Dhabi, said to me last week. That’s why so many new parks are going up in China and the Middle East.

In the United States? Not so much. “If you look at North America, we have a shrinking middle class and an embarrassment of riches when it comes to theme parks,” Cobb said. That means too many established players chasing a limited amount of money.

The only real opportunity for a major new theme park to be built in the United States in the near future is Universal Orlando’s widely rumored fourth gate, which is said to be coming to hundreds of acres of land Universal has acquired near the Orange County (Fla.) Convention Center. But Universal isn’t developing that project to take advantage of unmet demand so much as it is trying to position itself better defensively against rival Walt Disney World.<<

britain

No wonder behind the scenes you hear talks of a stand alone Disney Resort in Anaheim with a few Theme Park attractions and/or a water park.....

?

By 'resort' do you mean hotel? And by Anaheim, do you mean Garden Grove?

Because there already is a Disney Resort in Anaheim: The Disneyland Resort.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
?

By 'resort' do you mean hotel? And by Anaheim, do you mean Garden Grove?

Because there already is a Disney Resort in Anaheim: The Disneyland Resort.

I assume because of an NDA he can't really say any more. But it stands to reason if Disney is seriously talking to GG about a hotel, then GG would want a mini resort out of it.

Unless of course they are thinking of building a mini resort on the Toy Story lot, with hotel and a couple attractions. Not sure there is enough space, but if they built the attractions as part of the hotel structure it may work. And since it separated from the main resort it could be its own thing.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I assume because of an NDA he can't really say any more. But it stands to reason if Disney is seriously talking to GG about a hotel, then GG would want a mini resort out of it.

Unless of course they are thinking of building a mini resort on the Toy Story lot, with hotel and a couple attractions. Not sure there is enough space, but if they built the attractions as part of the hotel structure it may work.

It was mainly a typo. But read TP2000's post in visiting his great neighbor.

I think you can figure it out.

That said, my knowledge is very much in the Blue Sky relhm of things.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Honestly they should've, and it's where Bobby could've put his Marvel / Star Wars / Pixar / Frozen BS.

I don't think that's inevitable. Even a clueless exec can see that their worst three parks (DCA, DHS, WDSP) are the ones that rely most heavily on IP over theming.

Yet the IP trash keeps coming like rapid fire :rolleyes::( Goes to show where the mindset is of people like Bobby squared. The only IP attractions that work are the ones that put a bigger emphasis on the attraction story than the IP story. See: Splash, ToT, Temple of Forbidden Eye, Etc.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't think that's inevitable. Even a clueless exec can see that their worst three parks (DCA, DHS, WDSP) are the ones that rely most heavily on IP over theming.

You can still have heavy theming while using IP, just look at SW:GE and Potter as examples. The idea that any future 3rd gate would not inevitably be IP based is honestly naive. We live in a different era, the era of generic themed lands is the past. This is the era of the mega immersive themed lands built around the world of IPs. Its the war of IPs in the theme park business, with Disney and Universal locked in a battle for supremacy. And park goers are just going to expect bigger and larger experiences of the same.

kjb101791

After just returning from my first trip to DLR, I have to say that a third park would have to draw in more non-locals to be continually productive as part of a full-on, WDW-style resort. My impression is that Disneyland is for and by locals, much more so than Disney World. To get the non-locals (i.e. farther away than a weekend trip justifies), a third park would require the referenced third hotel (and more) as well to create more of a resort atmosphere. WDW's appeal is that it Orlando is built around Disney (at least to a significant degree) and is much easier and cheaper to pilot a vacation for a family of 4 than the LA/Anaheim area. Point being, the land would be tough to come by, which has been the been the story since Walt first started to think about the Florida Project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom