When Will Dinosaur Turn Back to Countdown to Extinction?

BAM

Original Poster
I think the campaign for Dinosaur has gone on for long enough. Why won't they change Dinosaur back to Countdown to Extinction.

For those of you who don't know, CTE (Countdown to Extinction) was more rough, fun, and fast. They tamed down the ride and renamed it Dinosaur so they could campaign for the movie and allow a lower height restriction so more kids could ride. It used to be a really scary thrill ride and had me shaking the first time I rode it. The sound was louder and you bounced around a lot more; like you were on off-rode terrain.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dinosaur isn't thrilling; it's just not as thrilling as it was. Suppossedly I heard that after Dinorama opened they were going to hype the ride back up and rename it CTE. I really don't care about the name but I think they should hype it back up again.

Anyone have any comments, news, updates?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by BAM

yeah.. 1.

It's not changing... it's going to remain as Dinosaur for the time being

kosherkid411

They won't change it... I'm willing to bet that Disney thought of using Dinosour for the ride for a long time. It's not as frightning. They will be able to use it was a fimly ride know.

By the way BAM... where did you get the picture of RCT2... I thought that's what they were doing... if you have any infro on it, please email me at kosherkid411@hotmail.com... i'm addicted to the first one!

JLW11Hi

Yeah, BAM, is that a new game comming out?

I can't remember the first CTE very much, but I am guessing that whenever Disney decides to add more rides to the park, they will jack up the thrill level again. If they could change it once, they can change it again.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
I didn't notice.

Originally posted by BAM
I think the campaign for Dinosaur has gone on for long enough. Why won't they change Dinosaur back to Countdown to Extinction.

For those of you who don't know, CTE (Countdown to Extinction) was more rough, fun, and fast. They tamed down the ride and renamed it Dinosaur so they could campaign for the movie and allow a lower height restriction so more kids could ride. It used to be a really scary thrill ride and had me shaking the first time I rode it. The sound was louder and you bounced around a lot more; like you were on off-rode terrain.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Dinosaur isn't thrilling; it's just not as thrilling as it was. Suppossedly I heard that after Dinorama opened they were going to hype the ride back up and rename it CTE. I really don't care about the name but I think they should hype it back up again.

I've been on both and I've heard before that Dinosaur was "tamed down" but in my multiple rides, I couldn't tell much of a difference. If you want to get jerked around more then sit in either seat on the outside of the "jeep" rather than the middle.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
I went on Countdown to Extinction during the AK soft opening.

I thought it was horrible.

And I don't think that Dinosaur was very good either, but thats beside the point.

BAM

Original Poster
That's kind of a bummer hearing that it won't be changed back to the original ride sequence or whatever. If you want to see how bumpy it used to be, look at the pre-show carefully. They show you a clip of people bouncing around a lot. It's when they say "Seatbelts, use them. It can kind of choppy out their so you might want to buckle up. And flash photograph, I wouldn't. It alters the homing device and that's not good." Anyways while their giving you that speil you see people riding CTE...actually you see that girl from the old Movie Surfers. Anyone else know what I'm talking about. If you watch it you can clearly see the difference.

Also for those of you who are wondering about RCT 2... go to Video Games section in the WDWMagic Forums and look under RCT 2. CAC has always kept us updated about the new game and the thread has more info than anywhere else on the interet (that I could find); CAC even found a movie on RCT 2 and found the box cover for RCT 2 (my avatar).

CAC your work is well appreciated.:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Sorry if I got of the subject for a little.

BAM

Original Poster
I thought it was originally intended to be a thrill ride that was scary; and I thought they built dinorama so they could ramp the ride back up yet still have dinorama for the kids.

In my opinion it's like taking the ending for Testing track and slowing it down so that it only goes a top speed of 40 mph at the end. Sort of ruins the thrill doesn't it. Or taking tower of terror and slowing it down so that the drop isn't as fast.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
What?

Originally posted by BAM
That's kind of a bummer hearing that it won't be changed back to the original ride sequence or whatever. If you want to see how bumpy it used to be, look at the pre-show carefully. They show you a clip of people bouncing around a lot. It's when they say "Seatbelts, use them. It can kind of choppy out their so you might want to buckle up. And flash photograph, I wouldn't. It alters the homing device and that's not good." Anyways while their giving you that speil you see people riding CTE...actually you see that girl from the old Movie Surfers. Anyone else know what I'm talking about. If you watch it you can clearly see the difference.

How can you "clearly see" the difference? I don't understand your point.

disneyreports

Disney is about corperate synergy, and that means that the attraction will most likely always have the Dinosaur tie-in... It's kinda a reverse logic, but that's why they made Counrty Bears, and will be making Pirates and Haunted Mansion, into movies...

BAM

Original Poster
***How can you "clearly see" the difference? I don't understand your point.***

Ok maybe I can explain this a little better. Do you know what I'm talking about with the preshow? Ok, they show you a clip of people bobbing up and down on the simulator and they're trying to show you why you should wear the seatbelts. Still with me? Anyways you can see when they show you that clip how very bouncy it was because this clip was shot before they toned it down. Now when you get on the ride you don't bounce around nearly as much as you saw in the preshow clip. Understand now? If you don't go ride the ride and pay close attention to that clip in the preshow.

cymbaldiva

All I can say about this one is that the only time I ever rode was when it was CTE and it was pretty D*** bouncy! Loved it! :sohappy:

Jusjuice

I recently asked a cast member on Dinosaur what happened to CTX, and he said "it's the same thing."
Also, I remember more meteors and stuff during CTX. Now there's a lot of blank space during the ride.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
I disagree.

Originally posted by BAM
***How can you "clearly see" the difference? I don't understand your point.***

Ok maybe I can explain this a little better. Do you know what I'm talking about with the preshow? Ok, they show you a clip of people bobbing up and down on the simulator and they're trying to show you why you should wear the seatbelts. Still with me? Anyways you can see when they show you that clip how very bouncy it was because this clip was shot before they toned it down. Now when you get on the ride you don't bounce around nearly as much as you saw in the preshow clip. Understand now? If you don't go ride the ride and pay close attention to that clip in the preshow.

This is an assumption on your part. You seem to think that the "ride preview" you see in the preshow is an actual depiction of the real ride. The preshow was made with actors and is designed to make you think a certain way. Don't be so gullible as to believe that the preshow clip you saw compares to the real ride. That clip was done in a studio far away from the real ride. Disney is about "magic", not reality. Keep that in mind.

disneyreports

OK, I'm with you, but I would have to agree with the previous post... The pre-show tape at Dinosaur is a dramatic representation of the actual ride... It's kinda like the crash barrier test in the Test Track pre-show tape... Do you really think they are going to crash you into a cement wall??? Those sort of images are put in there to give you that nervous feeling before you get on the ride... Disney likes to play with your emotions...

Rotel1026

So I'm curious how many people here have done the ride when it was CTX and now that it's Dinosaur? I've ridden it a couple of times since it's been renamed to Dinosaur and one thing that struck me about the ride was that it didn't seem very kid friendly to me at all. Very bumpy, very very loud and lots of darkness throughout the ride, not to mention huge dinosaurs popping up. I can't imagine how much rougher and louder it would have been than when I rode it because much louder and it would have probably have hurt. So is the "CTX was more intense" talk maybe just perception? Or was this actually made more kid friendly with the name change?

Valentin

mikebrakes

CTE isn't the first ride to get toned down. There have been others that were toned down so the weren't as scary. I've never heard of Disney making a ride SCARIER. It's probably going to stay Dinosaur for some time.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Meteor FX could simply be a malfunctioning ride element. So unless you've ridden it multiple time over many months, don't be quick to point out "Changes."

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom