When Is The Grand Floridian DVC Going On Sale?

BelleofDE

Original Poster
I was searching through this forum to see when the GF DVC is expected to go on sale. I can't seem to find it through search. Does anyone know the tentative for sale date is?

Pioneer Hall

No sale date was announced, but it was said to be slated to open in late 2013. So I would guess that sometime in the beginning of 2013 or so we would start seeing sales at the new resort. I think they really want to see BLT sell out before they start selling new points on the lake/lagoon.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Apparently they still deny it's existence in DVC sales presentations now too.. they told my father Bay Lake Tower was their last DVC on the monorail.. ha!

They were still trying to sell AKL and BLT

BelleofDE

Original Poster
I am all for them waiting! I want to know because hopefully I'll be able to buy into DVC sometime soon, but I won't be ready until 2013/2014.

tjkraz

Apparently they still deny it's existence in DVC sales presentations now too.. they told my father Bay Lake Tower was their last DVC on the monorail.. ha!

They were still trying to sell AKL and BLT

Timeshare law is very strict on what can and cannot be said during a sales presentation. When it comes to a resort on which construction has barely begun, only minimal mention can be made and it must be footnoted with disclaimers that the property may not actually be added to the program.

It should come as no surprise that GF is barely mentioned--if at all.

Many years ago when the rules were not so strict, unscrupulous timeshare developers would detail grand plans for resorts around the world. Then those plans would mysteriously evaporate after buyers had committed tens-of-thousands of dollars to a less desirable location which was already open.

DVC always focuses its sales efforts on 2 or 3 existing properties and doesn't start advance sales on new resorts until about a year before opening. If construction stays on target for late 2013, they could start selling in late 2012.

DVC is currently asking $155 per point for Bay Lake Tower. Expect Grand Floridian to be even higher than that.

Pioneer Hall

Timeshare law is very strict on what can and cannot be said during a sales presentation. When it comes to a resort on which construction has barely begun, only minimal mention can be made and it must be footnoted with disclaimers that the property may not actually be added to the program.

It should come as no surprise that GF is barely mentioned--if at all.

Many years ago when the rules were not so strict, unscrupulous timeshare developers would detail grand plans for resorts around the world. Then those plans would mysteriously evaporate after buyers had committed tens-of-thousands of dollars to a less desirable location which was already open.

DVC always focuses its sales efforts on 2 or 3 existing properties and doesn't start advance sales on new resorts until about a year before opening. If construction stays on target for late 2013, they could start selling in late 2012.

DVC is currently asking $155 per point for Bay Lake Tower. Expect Grand Floridian to be even higher than that.

This price is crazy in my opinion. And they wonder why they are losing sales to resale companies.

yoyoflamingo

This price is crazy in my opinion. And they wonder why they are losing sales to resale companies.

I agree, and considering they are almost sold out, you would think they would stop raising the price to sell it off. I bought in late 2009 for less than $100pp. It's amazing how quickly things have come....

flynnibus

Premium Member

I was more put off by the lies about last or only monorail resort. It's one thing to not mention a new plan, it's another to lie that it's not planned.. especially when the place is under full construction just across the lagoon.

That was the other comment from my father.. the huge increase in point cost vs their last presentation (about $109). They don't see the value in paying for premium points when 'a point is a point' when booking everywhere else.

Pioneer Hall

I agree, and considering they are almost sold out, you would think they would stop raising the price to sell it off. I bought in late 2009 for less than $100pp. It's amazing how quickly things have come....

Well I guess it is supply and demand in that regard. They benefit from the fact that a lot of people buying from them have no idea that a resale market exists. I would venture to say that a lot of DVC is purchased somewhat impulsively when people are on vacation and they don't do research or their due diligence. So in that regard, I do understand why Disney raises the prices...they simply can. So I guess I sound a little contradictory from my last post, but I guess I just needed to clarify myself a bit more.

Pioneer Hall

I was more put off by the lies about last or only monorail resort. It's one thing to not mention a new plan, it's another to lie that it's not planned.. especially when the place is under full construction just across the lagoon.

That was the other comment from my father.. the huge increase in point cost vs their last presentation (about $109). They don't see the value in paying for premium points when 'a point is a point' when booking everywhere else.

In this regard, if he does consider purchasing he should seriously consider Saratoga. Unless that home booking window elsewhere is a major point of consideration for him, then it would suit anyone best to purchase at Saratoga.

Yanks07

Agreed, we Bought in early 2001 for around $60/pt. Does anyone know what price they started out at when OKW was simply Disney Vacation Club??

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well I guess it is supply and demand in that regard. They benefit from the fact that a lot of people buying from them have no idea that a resale market exists.

I thought the last round of changes really put a damper on resale making those that bought in via resale almost second class citizens?

Pioneer Hall

I thought the last round of changes really put a damper on resale making those that bought in via resale almost second class citizens?

Not really. I think people that are informed enough to look into resale also know that using your points outside of the DVC system isn't the best use. So taking away the ability to cruise or book Adventure's by Disney isn't really a huge deal. Treatment otherwise is exactly the same, and at the resorts no one treats you any differently nor are any perks taken away. Other timeshare companies have created more of a class system, but Disney is still doing very well in avoiding that.

tjkraz

Prices vary by resort--it's very much a supply and demand driven system. Even now you could buy Saratoga Springs for $105 if you don't want to pay $155 for BLT.

The key is realizing that Disney really only has one opportunity to sell a given resort. We aren't talking about televisions or iPods where the assembly lines can continue cranking them out as long as there is a market. Once BLT points are gone, they are gone...unless Disney commits hundreds-of-millions to a similar project.

Bay Lake is very close to sellout but Disney doesn't feel any need to rush those last few thousand points out the door. Instead of discounting they'll just wait for sales to trickle in from folks willing to pay top dollar.

As for direct vs. resale, it will be interesting to see how Disney responds to the resale market in the future. Right now they are apparently happy with sales and don't feel threatened by resale. Sales may not be as brisk as they once were but prices are as high as ever. Again, with limited product to sell it makes sense to maximize profit margin. When you're selling for $135-155 per point, you can afford to see overall sales volume decline and still have a bottom line increase.

Disney may be losing sales to resale but the disparity isn't nearly as great as other Timeshare developers. Some timeshares resale for literally pennies, while developers continue to build (and sell) new.

In Disney's case, competition from resale is inevitable given the dwindling nature of contracts. When OKW, BWV and others are down to 20 years, prices will be much lower than a new resort with 50 years. Disney's challenge will be building new destinations with high appeal, marketing the 50 years as a benefit and preying on those who just don't know about resale.

But as long as Disney is content with their direct sales numbers, there's really no reason to keep altering perks for resale.

Hayley&Gareth

My wife and I have been holding off buying DVC for the last 3 years - waiting for the Grand! I'm nervous that there will be a huge waiting list and we may not even get change to buy in!

Disneymooner07

My question is - how do I get on Disney's radar so that when they start selling, I can get whatever incentive or price break they offer?

I remember going to a presentation a few years back when they were starting to sell AKL and they offered really good pricing breaks if you were at that presentation. I want to get in on that for the Grand Floridian DVC! :)

tjkraz

My question is - how do I get on Disney's radar so that when they start selling, I can get whatever incentive or price break they offer?

I remember going to a presentation a few years back when they were starting to sell AKL and they offered really good pricing breaks if you were at that presentation. I want to get in on that for the Grand Floridian DVC! :)

It will be fairly big news when sales begin. I'm sure most of the Disney sites will mention it in some capacity.

The first round of incentives will probably last for 2-4 months. Disney doesn't typically do quick-hit sales.

If you've made any contact with DVC before, you have a salesperson assigned to you. Call DVC and they can connect you. Then you could ask to be notified when sales begin. That's a fairly imprecise approach, though. Depends on how on-the-ball your rep might be, how they prioritize you, etc.

DVC Mike

The first round of incentives will probably last for 2-4 months. Disney doesn't typically do quick-hit sales.

It may be like BLT where the first round of incentives was not as good as the second round.

Everyone really exited about VGF will buy in right away. After the first wave passes, they may offer better incentives to pull in others.

Of course, VGF will be much smaller than BLT, so they might not repeat past behavior.

jpittore1

Red Roof Inn

During our last trip to WDW, we had a bus driver tell us that locals call the GF, "The Red Roof Inn" at Disney (due to the color of the roof)...it made us laugh. When they announced the DVC was going to GF, my husband and I was wondering how much the Red Roof Inn would points would sell for...my guess it will sell out quickly, so get on the list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom