When do Florida kids go back to school?

Lennyg512

Off topic -- But why do schools in Florida open back up in early August? When does the school year end?

School up here doesnt start until September and ends in June

Philmvt

Broward start day

Broward county schools start up on August 14, that's why I have to get back up for some prelaxation time:sohappy:

Pongo

Lennyg512 said:
Off topic -- But why do schools in Florida open back up in early August? When does the school year end?

We get out in mid to late May.

Same amount of time, just at different intervals :wave:

autumndawn1006

Lennyg512 said:

In Santa Rosa county up here in the panhandle they go back this week. They are trying to build in hurricane days. When Ivan hit a couple of years ago a lot of days were missed that were made up over holidays and some days weren't able to be made up at all. If no days are used, school will let out early in May. I'm not sure if it is the same for the rest of FL, but that's how they're explaining it up here.

Horizons1

Number_6 said:
Of course, since the students down here get out earlier than up North, I really didn't have a problem with the kids having to go back early. It's a bit cooler down here during late May - early June than it is in early-mid August. I had thought that the point of having them in school was to ensure that they spent alot of time in air conditioning during the worst heat of the year here and give them more time to do fun stuff before the heat got really bad by getting out of school early.

Nope, its because the school board is EVIL... of course, that is coming from a kids point of view. :D

IWorkWTeeth

We spent two weeks in WDW the last 2 weeks of August and it was pretty managable......humit, hot and sticky, but managable!! This year we are going August 24th to September 2nd, right before school starts here in NJ. Wondering though..............with the free meal plan offer, do you think the crowds will still be bad????
:wave:

marypoppins68

The main reason is because many schoolboards like to have the first semester of school finish before Christmas vacation. It keeps them on the same kind of schedule as most colleges. It also gives the schools more time to prepare for FCAT. It really doesn't have anything to do with the weather.

Mr Bill

marypoppins68 said:
The main reason is because many schoolboards like to have the first semester of school finish before Christmas vacation. It keeps them on the same kind of schedule as most colleges. It also gives the schools more time to prepare for FCAT. It really doesn't have anything to do with the weather.

FCAT :fork:

I think that's part of the reason that Seminole County is starting so early. They've never gotten a D or F rated school and want to keep it that way. Just one more thing the waste of paper that could have been Charmin known as the FCAT causes. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom