When do Florida kids go back to school?

musketeer

Original Poster
I know Florida goes back to school earlier than other parts of the country, when might it be this year?

Also, does attendance drop noticably when that happens, or does that not effect things that much?

My trip is in 2 weeks, August 13th - August 18th and wanted to know what to expect.

SpongeScott

Our kids go back on Aug 8 (Pinellas county), but the starting date will vary throughout the state. It will start thinning out in time, but you still have a lot of out-of-staters that will still be on vacation.

LPK

EpcoTim said:
I'm assuming the last week of August is still going to be pretty crowded?
Schools in the UK do not go back until the first week of september. Not sure about the rest of europe, but i think it may be around the same time. So it will still be pretty crowded.

Number_6

EpcoTim said:
I'm assuming the last week of August is still going to be pretty crowded?

Actually, last week of August is when I used to take my vacations down here because it was pretty quiet for the most part and I never waited more than 20 minutes for anything, usually only about 5-10 minutes on average. The schools in Orlando(Orange County) start back up on August 7th, so most Orlando residents that have kids that want to go will be hitting the parks this coming week, since the following week vacation is over. Also, last week of August is when most other parts of the country have parents getting the last of the back to school shopping done, so they tend to have already taken their trip for the summer break.

Mr Bill

Siege898 said:
Orange and Seminole County schools go back July 31! I KNOW ITS SO EARLY!
Half right.

I'm a student in Seminole County and we go back on July 31st.

However, Orange County has another week, they go back August 7th.

The Mom

Premium Member
The private schools start back a little later; Aug 21st for my son.

It makes it hard when you have family "up north." My niece is getting married Labor day weekend, and assumed that my son would be able to come up on Thursday. Um, no, he'll be in school. Besides, I really can't deal with anyone else when I'm taking care of my mom, so we're going alone.

CrashNet

I didn't see anyone answering your question about attendance. You really won't see much a drastic change in attendance until after Labor Day weekend, the definitive "last time to get a vacation in" weekend. After that, it dies until the first part of November, where it slowly increases up to Thanksgiving weekend, then dies again until about two weeks before Christmas.

Horizons1

I (Polk) go back Aug. 7th.

Its so early, but luckily, that save our summers act was passed and next year Florida schools can not start any earlier than Aug. 20th. Unfortunately Im a senior this year so I wont get to be a part of it.

:dazzle: :brick:

Number_6

Horizons1 said:
I (Polk) go back Aug. 7th.

Its so early, but luckily, that save our summers act was passed and next year Florida schools can not start any earlier than Aug. 20th. Unfortunately Im a senior this year so I wont get to be a part of it.

:dazzle: :brick:

Of course, since the students down here get out earlier than up North, I really didn't have a problem with the kids having to go back early. It's a bit cooler down here during late May - early June than it is in early-mid August. I had thought that the point of having them in school was to ensure that they spent alot of time in air conditioning during the worst heat of the year here and give them more time to do fun stuff before the heat got really bad by getting out of school early.

metscool

I used to go then. But High School came and then I had to go to Band Camp. My aunt is a teacher and she is just starting to think what to do in her room. Her school starts in the middle of the month.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I have taken numerous trips during the last two weeks of August. This year I will be down there from the 18th to the 23rd.

The crowds are usually pretty managable. There tends to be A LOT of people from the UK and the Northeast US because schools in those areas dont go back until first or second week of Sept. It is just unbelievably hot...and humid...and wet every day around 4pm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom