When Disneyland reopens, it's going to have even more of a privilege problem - SF Gate

DugLovesU

My response is that my car is better and safer than a Honda Civic. Because my car is way more expensive than a Honda Civic.

Also, my car has a smellitizer in the glovebox that provides me with a custom scent, currently Fireside Mood.

Also, Disneyland is way better than Castle Park. Some people can't afford Disneyland. The leftist media (and many college kids) thinks privilege is bad. I don't think privilege is bad at all, I just think it's privilege. It's something to work and strive for!
What you are referring to is something I like to call "trickle-down technology". Safety and other tech is introduced first in an automaker's most expensive models and is introduced over a period of years into their other products. Also other automakers copy just enough to avoid getting sued for patent infringement, add their own touches, and introduce those features on THEIR models. Within ten years or so the technology that first appeared on the luxury car will be in every car through this trickle-down process.
In just a few weeks, Mercedes-Benz will begin selling a new S-Class Sedan, which is generally considered the luxury & technology benchmark for the entire automotive industry. This bad boy will have every feature known to mankind and a few that aren't yet. And it can be all yours for just $120,000. The S-Class even has a seductive female voice that corrects you and tells you what to do. But heck-I have a GF that already does that and she doesn't cost $120K. Well-not all at once anyway 😀💵💸.
But I digress. The point is that the luxury car buyer will be the first to experience all the techno-goodies on their new vehicle. That's one of the privileges they get for paying the big bucks. But eventually all new cars will have that same technology. And that's just fine with me. I want all the cars & SUV's on the road to be as safe as possible for everyone's sake.

TP2000

What you are referring to is something I like to call "trickle-down technology". Safety and other tech is introduced first in an automaker's most expensive models and is introduced over a period of years into their other products. Also other automakers copy just enough to avoid getting sued for patent infringement, add their own touches, and introduce those features on THEIR models. Within ten years or so the technology that first appeared on the luxury car will be in every car through this trickle-down process.
In just a few weeks, Mercedes-Benz will begin selling a new S-Class Sedan, which is generally considered the luxury & technology benchmark for the entire automotive industry. This bad boy will have every feature known to mankind and a few that aren't yet. And it can be all yours for just $120,000. The S-Class even has a seductive female voice that corrects you and tells you what to do. But heck-I have a GF that already does that and she doesn't cost $120K. Well-not all at once anyway 😀💵💸.
But I digress. The point is that the luxury car buyer will be the first to experience all the techno-goodies on their new vehicle. That's one of the privileges they get for paying the big bucks. But eventually all new cars will have that same technology. And that's just fine with me. I want all the cars & SUV's on the road to be as safe as possible for everyone's sake.

Agree with all of that.

What's changed a bit is that the government isn't mandating this stuff first and then the automakers follow, as they did in the 20th century. Now the automakers invent new safety tech, it trickles down for a decade or more, and eventually the government mandates that even cheap cars have those features.

Back-up cameras are a good example. 15 years ago those were only found on expensive luxury cars. Now every car has them, and I think in model year 2021 the government now mandates that they come standard on all cars regardless of price.

Versus how it went in the 20th century. The government used to mandate the safety equipment back then, and it would be implemented industry-wide by model year on all cars. 1968 saw the mandate for both seat belts and side marker lights. 1973 saw the mandate for 5mph safety bumpers (which is why you always buy a 1972 or older car if you're shopping for a fun garage project, because those '73 and up bumpers were UGLY!). There were also years for mandatory backup lights, mandatory side mirrors, etc., etc.

It's still all privilege, any way you slice it. A trip to Disneyland is a privilege, driving an S-Class is a privilege. It's a tad alarming that concept is now easily portrayed as a negative instead of something to strive and work for. :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom