When dining at WDW what drives you to choose a restaurant?

When dining at a WDW what drives you to choose a restaurant?

• The location of the restaurant

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • The theming of the restaurant

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • The quality of the food at the restaurant

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • The menu prices at the restaurant

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • The service offered at the restaurant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The character dining feature at the restaurant

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I voted "quality" But it really comes down to value, which incorporates many of the choices given. If I spend X, what am I getting from a value perspective? The quality may be good but the selection may not be, the service may not be, the ambiance may not be, the location may not be. So while I get a good quality meal, it isn't necessarily a good value. It can work in reverse as well.

Hockey89

I voted "quality" But it really comes down to value, which incorporates many of the choices given. If I spend X, what am I getting from a value perspective? The quality may be good but the selection may not be, the service may not be, the ambiance may not be, the location may not be. So while I get a good quality meal, it isn't necessarily a good value. It can work in reverse as well.
Do you have a cost benefit graph?

Kevin_W

I agree with the others that it's a mix of these things. "Theme" would probably be #1 because overall that's what I'm at WDW for. But location is also important because if I'm spending the day at MK I'm not going to grab lunch at Octoberfest just because it has great themeing. Price and menu also definitely comes in as well - keeping with Octoberfest; I don't particularly care for German food or the cost of WDW buffets so I skip it from those regards.

Service would be last place because it can be hit or miss at any restaurant. But in years of visiting WDW I've never had "bad" service that made me not want to come back to a restaurant. Just somewhere between "decent" and "great".

Lord Starwalker

Original Poster
So restaurant food quality is key and the theme is also a big deal. This makes sense to me, as one of our favorites is Sanaa, which totally nails both quality and theme. 😉

Weather_Lady

We want: (1) quality food, which doesn't necessarily mean "signature" or Disney-expensive; and (2) something we can't get at home, whether that's a unique location (e.g., Sanaa), unique theme/entertainment (e.g., Biergarten), or unique food (e.g., Boma, Jiko, Yak & Yeti, or Tiffins).

Price is also a consideration, and this has caused us to start avoiding "all you care to enjoy" and character meals. For example, we always loved 'Ohana and it used to be a "tradition" to have our final dinner there each trip, but when the cost went up by 1/3 (making dinner and gratuity for our family of four a $300 proposition) and the food quality simultaneously went down, we axed it from our itinerary.

DfromATX

We want: (1) quality food, which doesn't necessarily mean "signature" or Disney-expensive; and (2) something we can't get at home, whether that's a unique location (e.g., Sanaa), unique theme/entertainment (e.g., Biergarten), or unique food (e.g., Boma, Jiko, Yak & Yeti, or Tiffins).

Price is also a consideration, and this has caused us to start avoiding "all you care to enjoy" and character meals. For example, we always loved 'Ohana and it used to be a "tradition" to have our final dinner there each trip, but when the cost went up by 1/3 (making dinner and gratuity for our family of four a $300 proposition) and the food quality simultaneously went down, we axed it from our itinerary.

‘Ohana used to be one of our traditions as well. It was the only place we ate at every trip and we went there on our MK day. For our last trip in June 2018, we decided to skip it because the time before that, we ate there and it wasn’t as good, but then we all missed it! So who knows, maybe next time we’ll go again.

UNCgolf

I voted for theme, but that's not entirely true. I really want a combination of theme and quality at WDW. Even if it had the best theming ever I wouldn't eat there if the food was terrible -- as an example, the Simpsons area at Universal is incredibly well done but after eating there once I would never ever eat there again. It was horrendous. And I will likely eat at Flying Fish every time I go to Disney despite it not really having a theme, because the food is legitimately excellent there.

It shouldn't be that hard to have a well-themed environment that also serves good food.

britdaw

There are a lot of things I look at when choosing restaurants. The first thing I look at is the menu to check and see if my picky kids are gonna eat anything they serve, and then I look at prices 'cause I am a single mom of 3 and I have to make sure I ain't gonna spend my children's souvenier allowance on a meal. LOL J/K...kinda... ;) It also depends on what park we're going to be in for the day, and whether or not I want to do something a little more "special", like a character dining experience, or if I want to be able to relax and just enjoy the food.

John park hopper

Food quality followed by service then theme. Have no kids at home so character meals are something we don't do usually over priced and food quality is poor

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So you eat off property most days then ...
Close...I don’t eat much. It’s a shame too because that was a lot of the foundation of the appeal for me.

Loved walking out of a restaurant in the 90’s and casually discussing how that was way better than I thought it would be...miss it.

Lunches at Olivia’s were a particular highlight too. I miss those days.

I do like a couple of the places at springs. Which makes complete sense because they’re outsourced.

Particularly Homecoming and Jaleo

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom