When did fireworks at sea start?

ChuckElias

Original Poster
So my family was talking last night and we can't remember having fireworks on our Wonder cruise in '01 and our Magic cruise in '03. But I really feel like I want to say that DCL has always had fireworks at sea.

I've tried to do a little research online, but haven't found any information on this. Does anybody know for sure when DCL introduced fireworks at sea? Was it Day 1 in '98? Or some later date?

Maelstrom Troll

Dunno but they sure are great. We counted 5 rival ships in the distance around the Fantasy, so I guess others like it as well.

Attachments

• 8377A641-804A-48FF-88D4-2C30D20CFD90.jpeg
    8377A641-804A-48FF-88D4-2C30D20CFD90.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 88
  • AD443194-610E-4887-A26E-3AB6E1B5FD24.jpeg
    AD443194-610E-4887-A26E-3AB6E1B5FD24.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 69

jme

I can't find a specific answer for you (which is really odd... you would think they would have some easily found press release or something)
But - this promotional video from 1999 does not mention fireworks at all, which, one would safely assume if they had them, they'd mention them.

And this 1999 video of the Wonder joining the fleet showcases a fireworks display launched from Castaway Cay

This 2000 video shows a 4th of July Fireworks display also launched from Castaway Cay

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Interesting stuff! Thank you. I agree that if they had fireworks, I would expect that they'd mention it in a promotional video. That's not proof, obviously, but it would be odd.

jme

So, I went a little overboard here trying to get the answer to this. Mostly because I feel like it should be very easy, and its surpassingly frustrating that it isn't.
Anyway, I reached out to Disney Cruise Line. A number of different departments. The final verdict?
Regrettably, we are unable to locate the information you are requesting.
Thank you for your understanding.

Baffling. I went so far (as did some of the very helpful folks I spoke to) as searching for patents etc.
The closest we could find was in 2000 they introduced Air Launch Fireworks (ALF) using compressed air instead of gunpowder. This was first in use in EPCOT's IllumiNations - later and more publicized in 2004, DLR switched over to ALF for their fireworks displays.
This is the same tech used on the ships displays so, it would have to be AFTER the introduction in 2000.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
That's not just baffling. It's almost unbelievable. For a company and a culture that documents everything and takes such pride in its history, it's beyond my imagination that they don't have something in the archives about it.

MaryJaneP

Although it may have already been checked, is there any way to check old Navigators issues or whatever the daily publication was on the early cruises? It seems as though you have somewhat bracketed the timeframe. It truly is amazing that this appears to be undocumented anywhere!

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Totally, off the subject, but @MaryJaneP , I LOVE your avatar. It used to make me laugh every time we were in the Magic Kingdom. Sadly, they've removed it. It just amazed me that it ever got up there in the first place. Like, nobody ever read it out loud during the planning phase???? :D

MaryJaneP

Thanks Chuck. As many of us forum readers would undoubtedly agree, we all thank you for your contributions. Regarding your current question, it seems that the timeframe can be further narrowed from Magic first cruise in July 1998 to sometime early in the 2000's (2001, 2002, etc). We have looked too and so far, we have not found the answer.

Attachments

• Disney05Sawaddee.jpg
    Disney05Sawaddee.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 56

ChuckElias

Original Poster
it seems that the timeframe can be further narrowed from Magic first cruise in July 1998 to sometime early in the 2000's (2001, 2002, etc).
That seems to make the most sense. I just can't believe it's not actually documented somewhere.

twall0415

I remember sailing on the Magic in April of 1999 and there were fireworks. But I can't remember if we were in port in Nassau or out at sea.

MaryJaneP

I remember sailing on the Magic in April of 1999 and there were fireworks. But I can't remember if we were in port in Nassau or out at sea.

Although it is unlikely, do you still have the Navigators for that cruise, in particular the night cruisers were invited to view fireworks?

twall0415

Although it is unlikely, do you still have the Navigators for that cruise, in particular the night cruisers were invited to view fireworks?
No. I don't have the navigator and I checked with my parents. I can tell you that they happened on Tuesday April 13th. I remember that because the cruise was over my birthday. Maybe someone might have pictures or something during that time. It was a 4 day Bahamian cruise out of Port Canaveral that left Monday April 12. It was as Nassau on April 13. Castaway Cay on April 14. A sea day on April 15th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom