when did disney start using magnetic room keys and not actual keys

maryszhi

Original Poster
I was wondering when disney started using the magnetic room keys instead of traditional keys ( the ones you have to turn the lock and are usually made out of metal :) ). i thought maybe the 1980s

I don't know when Disney upgraded to those, but they have had them since before at least 2005, since that is what they had then, and now. Its a wonder that they haven't upgraded to the latest and greatest thing: the wristband. If you have ever been to a Great Wolf Lodge, you know what I am talking about...

WDW Monorail

I haven't been to WDW since last year, so I'm not caught up. I haven't heard of them.

Think of a credit card. It has a magnetic strip on the back which contains information. In the case of a hotel, that information is the virtual key to unlocking a door. A key card reader on each door scans the card and if it is programmed to open that door, the door will unlock. They've been around for at least 15 years or so in hotels. Not sure when Disney made the switch but it was not exactly a short time ago.

Cosmic Commando

Before the magnetic stripe cards, there were cards that looked like somebody took a hole puncher to them. This was around the early 90's. Like this, but not exactly.

q1qxx

EOD K9

My first trip as an adult (not when I was yay big) was in 1997. I stayed at ...bad acronym. All Star Sports. It was during the 25th anniversary and we had the magnetic key cards. How do I know? Cause I still have all my keys dating back to then. Bobs your uncle, Fannys your aunt and there you have it. Savvy?

maryszhi

Original Poster
My first trip as an adult (not when I was yay big) was in 1997. I stayed at ...bad acronym. All Star Sports. It was during the 25th anniversary and we had the magnetic key cards. How do I know? Cause I still have all my keys dating back to then. Bobs your uncle, Fannys your aunt and there you have it. Savvy?
i have kttw since the early 1990s as well, so it has to be before then :)

cba

Think of a credit card. It has a magnetic strip on the back which contains information. In the case of a hotel, that information is the virtual key to unlocking a door. A key card reader on each door scans the card and if it
is programmed to open that door, the door will
unlock. They've been around for at least 15 years
or so in hotels. Not sure when Disney made the
switch but it was not exactly a short time ago.
Thanks, I must not pay attention to my door keys, lol.

Clever Name

I was wondering when disney started using the magnetic room keys instead of traditional keys ( the ones you have to turn the lock and are usually made out of metal :) ). i thought maybe the 1980s
You're right. The VingCard Classic hotel locks were first used at WDW in 1986 and were installed in phases over a period of years. They are still in use today but are being replaced by the newer RFID locks.

As another person said, some of the hotels also used the earlier VingCard original locks with pre-punched keycards.

vonpluto

The last time we had a room key was for a Fall 1985 stay at CR. From 1986 until 1997 at OKW we had punch cards like the one shown by Cosmic Commando. The first magnetic card we used was at OKW in 1995, so the changeover probably took place across a few years in the mid 90's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom