When Darkness Falls

Michael C

Original Poster
Hey all

I have a weather related question for which I haven't found any answers. It's easy to find out the average monthly temperatures for a Floridian city and compare it to our own, but there is a more important piece to that puzzle. I don't know if any of you Floridians have been up her to New England in January or another winter month, but you would be correct to assume that it can be miserable in many ways. The worst part, in my opinion, is the darkness.

For much of the winter, it's dark when I get to work at 7:15 AM and it's dark when I get out at 4-4:30 PM. In between are shades of gray. That causes lots of personality and mood changes in folks like my wife and me.

So, the question is, what is a winter day like in central Florida in terms of daylight hours? I suppose I'll find out if I get to swing down in January, but I'm so curious about this. The days must be longer than they are here, but I've no idea how much.

Thanks. :wave:

speck76

Although the days here in Florida are shorter than in most areas on the country, the chance of having a "grey day" are not likely. The nice thing is that it is not overcast for long periods of time too often here.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Wow, that was interesting. In Detroit in January the sun rises one half hour later and sets one half hour earlier than it does in Orlando.

I remember in the summer in Sarasota with the sun setting over the water we used to play volleyball at Siesta Key until almost 10 pm+

And yes, those long winter gray days rarely happen.

When people up here ask me about rain down there I always tell them it's more like 5-10 minutes of the hardest rain you've ever been in, and then a nice sunny day again. And you can usually watch it come towards you since everything is so flat.

Michael C

Original Poster
Ah, The Rain

Great point about the rain. I love the summer rain in Florida. Nice, big thunderstorms and sun showers. I much prefer that to two days of drizzle and dampness, which is what we usually get up here. Of course, the Florida rain is much warmer than the rain we have in New England, too, so it's not as bothersome.

dvc93

Florida sunlight is different - I live in Ala so our winters aren't nearly as bad as yours.

however once you are on I10 in Florida - the sun gets brighter (no matter what time of year) - the further down I75 or I95 the brighter for around 2 hours which is around Ocala.

I really think the sun being brighter is one reason why people cheer up!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom