Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Watched your video this morning before I left for work. During my commute, I was thinking about your #1 reason not to skip it, and you mentioned it was an original by Walt and his team of imagineers. IMO, it's not only a classic and creative attraction, it's a gem.

fractal

Original Poster
Yesterday we got back from a weekend in Minneapolis Minnesota (15 degrees and a foot of snow) to watch Sterg swim in the BIG 10 Championships. He suffered a mild concussion a few weeks ago that threw his preparations off and overall didn't do as well as he wanted. I was just proud of him for competing hard, staying positive and not quitting. Swimming is a strange sport, you prep for months for one big swim and a bad cold or little injury can throw things way off. Then you have to start all over. Still very exciting. Here are a few pics of him (PSU cap, blue-gray suit) - I again enjoyed taking photos of the him, his teammates and sharing them with the team.

_DSC7864-X2.jpg

_DSC8305-X2.jpg

_DSC8309-X2.jpg

and if you ever find yourself in Minneapolis/St Paul - we found Surley Brewing company a great place for a bite to eat and good beer!

_DSC8342-X2.jpg

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Yesterday we got back from a weekend in Minneapolis Minnesota (15 degrees and a foot of snow) to watch Sterg swim in the BIG 10 Championships. He suffered a mild concussion a few weeks ago that threw his preparations off and overall didn't do as well as he wanted. I was just proud of him for competing hard, staying positive and not quitting. Swimming is a strange sport, you prep for months for one big swim and a bad cold or little injury can throw things way off. Then you have to start all over. Still very exciting. Here are a few pics of him (PSU cap, blue-gray suit) - I again enjoyed taking photos of the him, his teammates and sharing them with the team.

_DSC7864-X2.jpg

_DSC8305-X2.jpg

_DSC8309-X2.jpg

and if you ever find yourself in Minneapolis/St Paul - we found Surley Brewing company a great place for a bite to eat and good beer!

_DSC8342-X2.jpg

Great Pics as always, and there is always next time!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

_DSC7864-X2.jpg

_DSC8305-X2.jpg

_DSC8309-X2.jpg

_DSC8342-X2.jpg

You were kind of in my neighborhood, I live about 1 hour east of Minneapolis. I'm glad you enjoyed our snow! :joyfull: Too bad you weren't around today it was 47 degrees and felt so nice! Surly is some good brew, and congrats to Sterg for his competition.

DznyRktekt

Were you able to visit at any other interesting places on your visit to MSP? I'd love to see some of your Fractal photos if you did. The Twin Cities are beautiful.

Gardens of Salonica in Northeast Minneapolis serves up some mighty fine Greek food.

And, congratulations to Fractal Jr.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Nice photos, and thanks for sharing. That's impressive that Fractal, Jr. went swimming in 15 degree weather . . . oh wait . . . he was indoors! ;):p

Anyway, sorry to hear about his concussion, and I give him credit for participating in this swimming championship, even though he knew he wasn't at his peak. He'll also inspire others with his positive attitude.

fractal

Original Poster
Are you sure that wasn’t Shirley Brewing company misspelled? 😉
:D
Great Pics as always, and there is always next time!
thanks! and yes there is!
You were kind of in my neighborhood, I live about 1 hour east of Minneapolis. I'm glad you enjoyed our snow! :joyfull: Too bad you weren't around today it was 47 degrees and felt so nice! Surly is some good brew, and congrats to Sterg for his competition.
I would have loved to have more time touring the area - especially during the Spring and Summer. Thanks @ajrwdwgirl !
Were you able to visit at any other interesting places on your visit to MSP? I'd love to see some of your Fractal photos if you did. The Twin Cities are beautiful.

Gardens of Salonica in Northeast Minneapolis serves up some mighty fine Greek food.

And, congratulations to Fractal Jr.
Unfortunately no. We pretty much stayed on campus. There are two sessions for the meet; morning and evening. There is also diving and distance swims in the afternoon. As I've taken it upon myself to be the unofficial team photographer there was just enough time between sessions to grab lunch and a few beers at a campus bar. I would love to get back to the area and thanks for the tip on the Greek restaurant!
GO BIG 10!! :)
I think there were at least 7 or 8 Olympians at this meet! Indiana won with Michigan close behind. Some fast swimming for sure!
I was in Minneapolis over the weekend too. 15 degrees is warm here during this time of year ;)
Oh boy!
Who else thinks we need to encourage another Fractal trip to Disney just so we can enjoy the photos??
Me,me,me! Hopefully 2019.
Nice photos, and thanks for sharing. That's impressive that Fractal, Jr. went swimming in 15 degree weather . . . oh wait . . . he was indoors! ;):p

Anyway, sorry to hear about his concussion, and I give him credit for participating in this swimming championship, even though he knew he wasn't at his peak. He'll also inspire others with his positive attitude.
:D thanks!
I want to bring @fractal with me on all of my trips. He can take pictures and even write up an excellent trip report for me!! Just think about it... a professional trip report writer!!
Sounds good to me!

38053WDW

Unfortunately with everyone's schedule it will likely be sometime between mid-June through August.
I feel your pain .... working around the "kids" schedule is hard to do.. we love fall but nothing falls in the same week... uggh! Hows nursing school going? My daughter finishing up her first year. Clinicals don't start until 4th semester...

John Dulmage

Just posted a new video.

10 reasons NOT to skip The Enchanted Tiki Room!

Somehow I missed this post when you originally did it and just now saw this about the Tiki Room. This is one of my favorites and I'm going to have to show this video to my family. They make fun of me for how much I love it. I guess it's because it was one of the first things I experienced when we went to Disneyland in my youth way back in 1970 (yes, I'm that old!). My DIL is a big WDW fan, and whenever she goes, she texts me a picture from the Tiki room. Now I need to get back to enjoy it again (with a Dole Whip!!). Thanks again for putting that together and sharing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom