Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Well, I would really be remiss if I didn't do some kind of recap.

First off - thanks to all that followed, liked and commented. It does feel good seeing that - I must admit!

Recap and Miscellaneous thoughts

Yacht Club

Having stayed at the Beach Club twice before, the Yacht Club made for an easy comparison. I should disclose however that I did not spend much time at the resort and we did not have a meal in the YC or BC.

The scent of the lobby is divine! I thought the BC was great (and it is) but the YC is just a bit more masculine and for that I have to give it the edge. It's funny that this would be a "thing", but we noticed it, enjoyed it and now remember it.

We loved the rooms. Plenty of space for really 4 adults (Toni is now taller than Val) - especially if you're not spending your day sitting inside. The beds were very comfortable, the bathrooms well done and roomy. The balcony could easily fit all four of us on if need be. I like the decor of the refurb but the Disney overlay is very muted and subtle. turning up the volume on Mickey would have been fine with me - Val on the other hand enjoyed not having it in her face all the time.

I didn't find the feel of the place "snooty". The nautical decor throughout the resort was comfortable and not "intimidating". The service was always responsive and polite. The maid service was excellent.

Proximity to Epcot, DHS and Boardwalk is a big benefit. A 10 minutes stroll has you in World Showcase and a short, nice ride on the Friendship boat gets you to DHS in less than 1/2 hour.

Storm-along-Bay is a fantastic pool. We really missed it when we stayed at the Poly. You could easily spend the whole day there and break it up with lunch at Beaches and Cream and drinks from Hurricane Hannah's.

Negatives? If you are not getting a Conference rate, the room rates are pretty crazy. You get a lot of perks for that, but perks don't pay bills. I will say that the rates are comparable to summer beach rates along the East coast. We spent almost as much for a standard motel room in Ocean City Maryland in July 2013. It's all relative.

Magic Kingdom

Really, if you spend too much time in the "doom and gloom" forums (Park New/Rumors...) you would think the parks, especially Magic Kingdom was in a state of dilapidation. Nothing could be further from the truth. I found Magic Kingdom to be clean - super clean in fact - and incredibly well maintained. I found no noticeable ride issues or things not working. The CM's were all great. The only exception was Casey's at the middle of the day which seemed understaffed and in need of a clean up and refill of the condiment table. Everything else was up to "Disney standards".

Happily Ever After is great. I know the Wishes fans are heartbroken, but you will fall in love again. Nobody does fireworks/projections and music shows better than Disney and this one is at the top for me. I never considered getting to a fireworks show early for a good view until HEA. It's worth it!

7 dwarfs mine coaster exceeded my expectations. Again, from reading the doomers, I was expecting a 10 second ride. Could it be longer? Yes. But it's probably the best "kiddie" rollercoaster around. Plenty of thrills and great theming. If you want to go on a short rollercoaster - try Barnstormer!

Hours - Come on Disney, extend the hours! This was my biggest complaint. Bring back the summer hours to 1 and 2 am at least once or twice a week. Late night in Magic Kingdom is awesome, we had so many great memories!

Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom is no longer a 1/2 day park. Pandora changed all that. Love it or hate it, you have to spend time there. The land is certainly unique and they managed to make it fit into the overall theming of AK remarkably well; much better than Dinoland. Nav'i River Journey is not the type of attraction that's going to make you stand up and cheer, but it is a solid "C" ride. Flight of Passage will make you stand up an cheer and is one of the top E-rides in existence.

Satu'li Canteen offered surprising good food (we had a chicken and beef bowl) without breaking the bank. Great spot for lunch and even for dinner if you are looking for lighter fare.

Night time in Pandora was for me, as a photographer, a playground. There's really nothing like it and while some people expected it to be glowing like Three Mile Island, I found the brightness to be just fine.

While I complained about shorter hours at MK, we all loved the longer Evening hours at AK. It's truly a different and more mysterious park at night.

Time to Fix the Yeti. Past time to fix the Yeti. Just do it.

The Safari is still great, but it seems the lines and loading/unloading could be done better.

The trails are severely underrated and under appreciated. Maharajah trail was beautiful and enjoyable.

Dinoland needs to be replaced with something better themed. That is all.

Dinosaur is a very good ride (bumps and bruises aside) but it could be great. I noticed for the first time a few screens in the ride showing smaller dinosaurs moving around. Either they are new or I was too busy trying to keep my teeth from getting knocked out during previous trips, but I liked them. I would be good with a few more screens or more visual anything during the many times you are bouncing around in complete darkness.

Flame tree BBQ and the wonderful sitting area/pavilions behind it get an A+.

So many wonderful nooks and crannies in AK that often get overlooked.

Festival of the Lion King is still great.

Disney's Hollywood Studios

This is a 1/2 day park and one in transition.

Tower of Terror and Rock & Roll Rollercoaster are still great.

Star Tours is still very good.

I enjoyed the March of the First order and the Star Wars stage show. I appreciate Disney's effort to add these while the new lands are being built.

I still enjoy the Old Hollywood theming.

Looking forward to the new lands.

We didn't spend much time in DHS this trip and honestly didn't really miss it.

EPCOT

Still has "grandeur"

BUT - needs to be more than a drink and food fest.

For the first time, I felt that SSE could use an overhaul. I don't want to see the AA replaced by screens, but I am ready for something different and better and I know WDI can do it.

Imagination Pavilion is the biggest waste of real estate in the world.

Soarin' - We all enjoyed the new one, but I would like the option to also see the "old" one.

I have high hopes for GotG and the Space Restaurant . Maybe GotG doesn't exactly fit the ideal of what EPCOT was meant to be, but Universe of Energy was outdated and unloved by most.

A request for all the new additions coming - just please don't "dummy it down". Strive to challenge and inspire us as visitors.

Other Observations

The Wifi throughout WDW was amazingly good.

No Bug Bites.

Again - listening to some on this site - you would have thought Magic Bands were a sign of the apocalypse! This was my first experience with them and I thought they worked great! Tickets, FPs Room Key, wallet. All great and we also found it pretty easy to make changes on the fly. Everyone in our group gave the Magic Bands big thumbs up.

Minnievan - we got to experience during the trial run. I loved them, but they were also free. At $20 I would consider using them, but would still also consider Uber.

Park Hoppers continue to be a must for us.

Overall our experience with the CM's was very good.

Dining Plan - did not miss it and enjoyed the night we didn't have any plans. I'm sure we "saved" money but also didn't eat as much when we were on the plan. We packed food for breakfast and snacks and brought plenty of bottled water.

Cost - As I said before; it's all relative. When pricing beach and other vacations, after you add it up they're all expensive. However, the costs at WDW continue to climb. We found ways to make the trip less costly but the rise (especially in food and drink prices) was noticeable. I always have said that Disney is pricey but I never felt like I got ripped off - I still feel that way but Disney has made that margin for error much thinner.

Overall we had a blast! We dealt with the hot, steamy and sometimes stormy weather well. The crowds were not impeding except for the new Avatarland (which was to be expected). Looks like we are good for another trip in 2 years - as long as I get Val to some other places in between. :D I also had a blast writing this report and interacting with all of you. The Trip Report has become a big part of the whole Disney trip experience. Thanks again for following along and as always you'll find me in the trip report forum following and commenting on others' and in the Photography forums.

I set up an instagram dedicated to my Disney photos and videos

@thefractalchannel

and my personal instagram if you want to stay in touch is

@cdikos9

I promise a follow back and plenty of likes!

I also still plan to add more to our Youtube channel "TheFractalChannel" so stay tuned!

thanks again!

Last edited:

sheriffwoody

Thanks for your final thoughts! We loved Yacht Club too. It was more cozy than I expected.

One thing that stood out was that you got no bug bites. I'm jealous :oops: This will be in my report, but my ankles/feet got DESTROYED on the patio at the Poly. I should have known with it being right there on the water. I deserve my punishment :hilarious:

Looking forward to more instagram posts and your videos!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
You had a nice balance of positives and (a few) negatives in your recap comments. You and your family are park veterans, and know what is expected for your money. You also adapt to reasonable compromises, when occasional, unforeseen situations arise during your vacation.

Any one of your paragraphs could spark a great discussion, but I don't want to hog space here in your TR. I'll just sum it all up--a Fractal family TR is absolutely the best recreational read on the forums! Thank you, Fractal, Fractal Jr., and Fractal family (especially my favorite--Yia Yia!!) :joyfull:

AKemily

I've been reading TRs for a few months but this is my first time commenting. Thank you so much for your report! It was so fun to read and your pictures are beautiful!! I almost felt like I was on the trip! I hope you get to go to WDW again soon so that *I* can go back to WDW :D It also made me wish I had any photographer skills whatsoever.

Your pictures of Pandora were also fantastic. I have not been there and I haven't seen the movie but your pictures and review make it look so great!!

Happily Ever After is great. I know the Wishes fans are heartbroken, but you will fall in love again.
Thanks for your recap! I'm sad about Wishes being gone (though I'm not mourning it nearly so much as the old Welcome Show!) and your recap has made me more excited for HEA :)

Last edited:

Songbird76

After Harambe Market we split up. Marina wanted to get Mia over her Yeti-phobia and I thought it would be a great time to catch Festival of the Lion King with Yia-Yia.

_DSC2739-X2.jpg

I continue to appreciate what people that have to use an ECV go thru. As we were led into the theater towards the ECV parking spot by a CM, the incoming crowd rushed us - ignored the CM telling them to stop and preventing us from going the final 5 feet. So we basically had to stand in the middle of a mass of people rushing past us like a pack of wildebeests.

After we finally got settled, the show was on. I was missing Alex as she love LK and loves this show.

_DSC2744-X2.jpg

_DSC2749-X2.jpg

_DSC2752-X2.jpg

Hi Simba!

_DSC2755-X2.jpg

Tumble Monkeys were at the top of there game.

_DSC2759-X2.jpg

_DSC2764-X2.jpg

Yia-Yia was really getting into it. She kept clapping and waving to the performers.

_DSC2945-X2.jpg

_DSC2947-X2.jpg

Time for things to get a little scary.

_DSC2769-X2.jpg

This guy is so talented (and maybe a little nuts)!

_DSC2781-X2.jpg

_DSC2789-X2.jpg

_DSC2790-X2.jpg

_DSC2809-X2.jpg

_DSC2822-X2.jpg

_DSC2853-X2.jpg
Wow....I've fallen way behind because of real life. This calls for some ketchup.
I missed that entire fire performer's bit. I fell asleep somewhere during the tumble monkeys...now I can see what I missed! Thank you!

Songbird76

Aw....so sorry about the lens. On the one hand, I'm sad the TR is over, but on the other, I am SO far behind on so many others. I'm glad I caught up on ONE. Thanks for the amazing pictures and videos!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom