Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

Although Sterg looks like me, his personality is more like Val's. Because of this an interesting dynamic has played out in the relationship I have with both of them. It goes something like this;

When Val and Sterg inevitably clash (usually over some stupid thing he does), they get in heated argument. I then am placed in the middle by both sides - first agreeing with Val that what Sterg did was asinine, then as it drags on way too long, agreeing with Sterg that his Mother has no mercy. Eventually they both then start to get mad at me as I'm trying to broker peace and compromise.

Then at some point they reach some resolution and since both are mad at me, will now gang up and start to make fun of their poor husband/father. This phase is further cemented by their common personality.

Until that is, this same shall we say "combative" personality starts another argument between Val and Sterg.

I've not only identified this cycle but am now documenting it, much to their amusement. Get in fight - Get Chris/Dad in the middle - Reconcile with help of Chris/Dad - gang up on Chris/Dad.
As much as they're amused by all this, I find it frustratingly annoying as no part of this circle benefits me.

At some point during the trip, Sterg and Val got into a arguement. Then at some point during dinner at Flying Fish they reconciled (as you can see by the photo in front of the Minnie Van). So as we entered Magic Kingdom that night, Sterg played the role of "Momma's boy" very well and decided to stay with Val as she shopped while I (the now crazy Disney person) went to find a spot with the girls.

_DSC3104-X2.jpg

And we got a great spot! It was about 8:15 and we were front and center of the Castle. Things slowly started to change.

Courtney pointed out that Pirates was only a 10 minute wait. Hmmmm.

"Dad, can we just go quick and come back?" Toni asked the question that all were thinking.

"I don't know, by the time we get there and..."

"Please?"
Now it was a plea.

"Yeah but we got these great spots and..."

"Pleeeeeassssse Theo Chris?"
Mia asked with the banshee on her shoulder nodding in agreement. (Theo is Greek for Uncle).

"It doesn't look too crowded, we'll still get a good spot here later." Courtney added.

I knew Courtney was wrong but I allowed myself to believe her. After getting no response with my attempts to contact Val & Sterg I called Marina. She said she would take Yia-Yia up on the train station to watch HEA. After that intelligence briefing we left our prime HEA spot and headed towards Adventureland.

It was not a 10 minute wait - almost 20 minutes before we boarded our boats. I was last in our tight row with the water to my right. At least I'll get another round of Pirates photos I thought to myself.

I was contently snapping my photos and enjoying the ride.

_DSC3112-X2.jpg

_DSC3113-X2.jpg

_DSC3114-X2.jpg

Capt Jack Sparrow was out and about...

_DSC3129-X2.jpg

Along with the rest of the scoundrels.

Hey, are you looking at my camera gear?

_DSC3130-X2.jpg

When we got to the boat scene, we had a "cannon ball" near-miss that sent water over our boat with much of it landing on my head and lap - not to mention my camera.

While my camera is "water resistant" the lens was not. My shirt was wet so that wasn't going to offer any help. I decided to go for the cloth... in my camera bag...in the dark...in a moving boat...sitting right next to the water...

It's painful for me to be typing this.

The next few minutes played out in a very odd way and could probably be a good psychological study. One part of my brain was clearly telling me that if I opened my camera bag and fondled around in the dark one of the 2 lenses in the bag were going to end up going for a swim. The other part of my brain said I needed to quickly dry the soaked camera and attached lens.

I carefully unclipped the camera bag and lifted open the top. In the darkness I didn't realize that the camera bag was upside down. I was not opening the top, I was "opening" the bottom part of the bag!

With gravity being what it is, I felt the two lenses roll out of the upside down bag, onto my lap, bouncing around - from on top of 'ol smokey all covered with cheese...

Panic set in quickly! "Grab lens, grap lens!" I told myself.

"there's one" I happily thought as I gripped a lens. "where's the..."

KERR-PLUNK

The sound made me instantly sick. A pit in my stomach. One of the 2 lenses was now property and booty of the Caribbean Pirates. Slowly sinking down to Davey Jones' locker.

"DAD! Was that your camera?" Toni quickly turned looking at me.

"No. but it was one of my lenses." I answered nauseously.

The two lenses in the bag were a Zeiss Batis 18mm 2.8 that I rented for this trip. Replacement cost of $1,500 (gulp). although I did insure it for damage, wasn't sure if dropping it in Pirates of the Caribbean was covered. Probably not.
the other was a Sony Zeiss 55mm 1.8 I got used for $500. Great lens, love the lens and perfect for my camera but I was hoping it was the 55mm lens.

After feeling the lens in my hand for a few seconds I knew the rented lens was safe, but my 55mm was gone forever! :eek:

Thanks for the lens sucker!

_DSC3132-X2.jpg

The lens was now part of Pirate treasure.

I put on a stiff upper lip and continued taking photos - but with a lot less zeal. I was reeling from the proverbial Mike Tyson punch in the mouth.

"Give me my lens back you thieves!"

They just laughed and sang, mocking me...

_DSC3139-X2.jpg

This guy was no help.

_DSC3144-X2.jpg

I could have used some rum. Actually, a lot of rum.

_DSC3146-X2.jpg

I guess it could always be worse.

_DSC3148-X2.jpg

_DSC3151-X2.jpg

Captain Jack wins again.

_DSC3156-X2.jpg

_DSC3160-X2.jpg

UP NEXT - More shots to the head. :confused:
Well I guess that puts my lost visor into perspective financially. The visor had sentimental value but that's a $500 kick in the gut moment for sure. Could have been worse!

Castle Dreamer

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. Your photos are unique and beautiful and gave me new perspectives on things I have seen many times before. I've enjoyed reading this report so much that I'm very disappointed it is over. :( Looking forward to the next one!

fractal

Original Poster
Toni and Sterg had some great poses for their on-ride photos! Sad to see this one coming to an end.
Yeah, I was cracking up at some of those photos! :D Thanks for following!

Em and I are touched to be included in your lovely vacation recap video. :happy:
So glad we made it happen!

Makes me want to book a trip now! You are a talented gent.
Thanks @DznyRktekt !

I almost never post here.... but I have to take the time to tell you your trip reports are bar none, the best I have ever read. You have an unbelievable talent at storytelling and photography. I also loved your video, I am a fan of that song as well. Please go back soon, these trip reports are just unreal!
:) Thanks for the kind words!

I can't like that video enough:inlove::cry::inlove: Thanks for including us in this fabulous, family, adventure loaded with pixie dust!!!
Thanks for following along @littleroo !

Thank you for a truly wonderful TR. I had so much fun reading it and looking at your fabulous photos!
Thanks @RedNoseMickey ! It was great having you follow!

Toni's face on the Dinosaur ride photo's - brilliant! So sad this trip report has to end it has truly been amazing I can't wait for your next trip.
Thanks @Gurt ! Me too!

@fractal , that video was AMAZING!!! :jawdrop: :joyfull: You and Sterg (aka, Fractal, Jr.) really outdid yourselves this time--wonderful photos, filming, composition, editing, background music, etc. Cannot give this enough superlatives!!

Thank you for brightening up my day here on Friday morning, prior to my going out to work. :happy:
Thank you @MinnieM123 ! :)

LOVE the video!! Thank you again for inviting us into your family trip! It truly was so much fun to read (and see/watch)! Can't wait for the next one!
Thanks for following @MeeskaMooska0714 !

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the trip report, and the video was just outstanding. I haven't commented this whole time, but have been following to the end. I love pictures and take 2 cameras with me wherever we go. In my family of 7 (my husband and I, and 5 kids) there is no shortage of opportunities to capture memories in photographs. We head to Disney this December and your pictures have just made me even more excited to capture more of those memories for us to look back on (and to capture some pictures of things we've done in the past, now that the kids are 2 years older so that we can compare them). Thanks for sharing your trip, and your photographs, and your memories. I will look back on your trip report many times between now and when we leave, I'm sure! :)
Thanks for following @Mamaof5 ! Have a great trip and I'm sure I don't have to tell you to take plenty of photos! :)

Awesome, awesome awesome! Thank you for sharing with us, Chris...

FYI-I saw Val smiling on one of these ride photos on Test Track...
So glad you following along @Billy6 ! Yes, in fact she was smiling in other ride photos as well...:D

fractal

Original Poster
Awesome report as always!!! Hopefully the 2 year tradition keeps up. Can't wait for the next one.
Thank you! I'm trying my best to keep it going!

Thanks for taking us on your journey! You've captured some amazing memories for your beautiful family! Makes me so excited for our trip (with only 2 of our 4 kids) in just 20 days!
Thanks for following @CinderMama ! Have a great trip!

Love the video, that took some effort! Great job matching photos to the lyrics!
Thanks @LSV !

I'm so sad your report is finished, I had so much fun following along the last couple of months! Your video at the end is so perfect, what a treasure for your family to have:).
Thanks @Figaro Family and thanks for following along! :)

Really enjoyed reading your trip report! We are planning our first trip to WDW and your report has made me even more excited than I already was to experience all that the parks and resorts have to offer! Your photos are amazing and have reminded me to take in all the little details along the way!
thank you @youngdeb ! One bit of advise for a first timer; don't try to do everything. Just too much to do and if you try to do it all you'll be frustrated, stressed and disappointed. Go with the flow more and have a great trip!

Awesome video, awesome report. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks @Matty30 ! and thanks for following. Looking forward to you report getting me through colder days!

Great job with that recap video!!! And thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. I almost feel like I was there with you through all the many highs and the few lows!!

I need a countdown for your next trip!!
Thanks @DisneyJeff and for following! Haven't even thought of a countdown yet! :D

Great recap video Chris
Thanks for all the time and effort it takes to put it together
As others have said you should be on Disney payroll based on the quality of your work

Max
Thanks Max! Now if only I can convince Disney! :D

Very impressive! If Sterg did it I'd have suggested he look into an advertising major. It was beyond good! Love the family, and the interaction you share. Special thanks to your wife! If Momma a'int happy... Reading one of your trip reports in the middle of a long week is almost like being there, and a relief I need more than I'd like..

Swim fast @fractal
Sterg offered some technical assistance but the rest was me. I'll pass that along to Val! :D Glad we could help you get through a tough week and thanks for following @senor_jorge !

Awesome trip report & spectacular photos/video! Thanks for sharing.
thank you @SMJS !

Bar none you have the absolute best trip reports I have ever read!! Loved the recap video and all of the absolutely stunning photos!!
Thanks @Shane7694 ! I appreciate the kind words!

Hi Chris @fractal and hi @fractal jr iv just caught up on all the videos (and subscribed to your YouTube channel) I just wanted to say your family is amazing, there was a moment on boys day video when Sterg catches your face briefly just after you walk in magic kingdom that really reminded me of my pop, he passed away 9 years ago this New Years, not that you look anything like each other it was just a glimmer of a fathers happy face. I wish I could still share Disney with my pop but at least I still have the memories and no one can take those away! Your family are precious keep making those memories! Sorry for the somber post but your tr is so full of love it really reminds me of my times in Disney with my family when my pop was still with us. Much love fractal family xxx
Thanks Gurt - our only vacation in my childhood was to Florida and we spent a day at Magic Kingdom. I have some great memories of my late Dad from that day so I know the feeling.:)
thanks for following and your kind words!

Thanks for your great report. I wish you could visit the parks every month so we had a constant stream of your photos to admire.
Lol! thanks @Kiwiduck !

I loved the video. Thank you for sharing your trip! It looked like a great time with lots of new memories with your wonderful family. It was so fun to watch for updates to your report.
Thanks @disneypearl and for all your likes and comments!

The video was amazing!!! Loved reliving your report in a few short minutes. :) So.... can you do that for my wedding? :p
Sure! :D

Love the recap video! Thanks for all that you have shared with us!
Thanks @ajrwdwgirl ! any trips planned for you?

Great trip report & awesome video!
Thanks @disneyfan28 and thanks for following!

@fractal , I was just thinking that your video would be perfect to show again, to your family & relatives during get-togethers in the upcoming holiday season. :)
Absolutely! Everyone likes the video so in the end I guess I did make everyone happy.:D Thanks for following along @MinnieM123 and all your likes and comments! It helped keep me going!

Well I guess that puts my lost visor into perspective financially. The visor had sentimental value but that's a $500 kick in the gut moment for sure. Could have been worse!
So glad I could make you feel better @Uncle Lupe ! :D Btw, where's your report?

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. Your photos are unique and beautiful and gave me new perspectives on things I have seen many times before. I've enjoyed reading this report so much that I'm very disappointed it is over. :( Looking forward to the next one!
Thanks @Castle Dreamer ! so am I!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Thanks @LSV !

thank you @youngdeb ! One bit of advise for a first timer; don't try to do everything. Just too much to do and if you try to do it all you'll be frustrated, stressed and disappointed. Go with the flow more and have a great trip!

Thanks @Matty30 ! and thanks for following. Looking forward to you report getting me through colder days!

Thanks @DisneyJeff and for following! Haven't even thought of a countdown yet! :D

Sterg offered some technical assistance but the rest was me. I'll pass that along to Val! :D Glad we could help you get through a tough week and thanks for following @senor_jorge !

thank you @SMJS !

Thanks Gurt - our only vacation in my childhood was to Florida and we spent a day at Magic Kingdom. I have some great memories of my late Dad from that day so I know the feeling.:)

Lol! thanks @Kiwiduck !

Absolutely! Everyone likes the video so in the end I guess I did make everyone happy.:D Thanks for following along @MinnieM123 and all your likes and comments! It helped keep me going!

I have a solo trip planned for November. It will be the last weekend of Food and Wine, so I'm excited for that and a little Christmas at WDW. Maybe I will find some magic beer down there too! I think that has got to be one of my favorite stories from your report!

Uncle Lupe

Thanks @LSV !

thank you @SMJS !

Lol! thanks @Kiwiduck !

Getting ready to start mine. Had a hard time sorting photos from Memory Maker. Had 900 photos which when you download they compresss them in I need to switch ISP's if I ma going to ever upload any videos.

Thanks @LSV !

thank you @SMJS !

Lol! thanks @Kiwiduck !

Getting ready to start mine. Had a hard time sorting photos from Memory Maker. Had 900 photos which when you download they compress them into a Zip file and they loose the date info the computer uses to sort them. It's in the details but you have to right click and find them that way. So for those I had to use my phone app to match up shirts, dates and times to organize the pics I downloaded. It was frustrating indeed. So between Memory Maker and my crappy hastily bought handheld there were 1,908 pictures. Also have about 206 video clips which I need to switch ISP's if I am going to ever upload any videos.

fractal

Original Poster
I have a solo trip planned for November. It will be the last weekend of Food and Wine, so I'm excited for that and a little Christmas at WDW. Maybe I will find some magic beer down there too! I think that has got to be one of my favorite stories from your report!
Enjoy - good luck with the magic beer! :D

Excellent report. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Thanks for following along @coachwnh !

Amazing video! Thanks for sharing your memories with us all!
Thank you @krisri18 !

Getting ready to start mine. Had a hard time sorting photos from Memory Maker. Had 900 photos which when you download they compresss them in I need to switch ISP's if I ma going to ever upload any videos.

Getting ready to start mine. Had a hard time sorting photos from Memory Maker. Had 900 photos which when you download they compress them into a Zip file and they loose the date info the computer uses to sort them. It's in the details but you have to right click and find them that way. So for those I had to use my phone app to match up shirts, dates and times to organize the pics I downloaded. It was frustrating indeed. So between Memory Maker and my crappy hastily bought handheld there were 1,908 pictures. Also have about 206 video clips which I need to switch ISP's if I am going to ever upload any videos.
Good luck!

I'm in denial that your report is over! I keep opening it hoping there will be another post from you with more fantastic photos! Thank you so much for sharing your family and your trip with us. I always love hearing and seeing all the details!
Thanks @TheMouseFan ! Still enjoying yours!

LOVED the video and really enjoyed this trip report! Thank you so much for sharing!
Thanks for following along @joshsprincess921 !

The video was excellent!!! Thank you again for sharing and letting us journey with you:)
Thanks @PrincessL ! Looking forward to yours!

Loved the video so much! That will be amazing for you guys to look back on for years to come.
Thank you @sheriffwoody !

Loved reading your report- the pictures especially were amazing!
Thank you @Mander !

THE BEST!!! I love everything about this TR!! Thank you for sharing your journeys with us & I hope this happens again(sooner than later)!! quickly!!
Thanks so much @riverside ! So do I!

Absolutely awesome pics, reading back now
Thanks for following @Bullseye1967 !

fractal

Original Poster
Every time I would read your trip report title I would sing it in my head-I didn't know you actually got it from that song. Owl City is actually from a town super close to me.
Lol! I like a number of their songs. Do they perform live?

Your famous @fractal! Your video and photos are phenomenal. I hope you don't wait to long before your next trip.
:D thanks so much @Zipitidoda ! I've come a long way in the last 7 years. Photography is a great hobby, I hope you stick with it as it will pay off in many ways. Just don't be too hard on your self right now. Go back and look at pics in my TR from 2011 if you want to feel better. (WDW rumors of my demise). I hope so too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom