Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Everything was now happening fast and furious. Disney must be depleting the fireworks budget pretty quickly because as the show went on it was one after the other. As one exposure ended I more or less just quickly started another.

_DSC2156-X2.jpg

_DSC2159-X2.jpg

The Alladin part was one of my favorites...

_DSC2161-X2.jpg

_DSC2162-X3.jpg

_DSC2165-X2.jpg

The constantly changing projection scene does present an issue. Since I was taking a long exposure the castle could show up blurred. I could have taken a shorter single shot and merged it with a longer exposure in photoshop. I had considered doing that but with everything moving so fast I decided it was best to not upset the apple cart. The castle ended up looking much better than I anticipated.

I believe this was from Tangled...

_DSC2167-X2.jpg

_DSC2172-X2.jpg

_DSC2181-X2.jpg

_DSC2182-X2.jpg

Can't stop, won't stop.

_DSC2183-X2.jpg

_DSC2186-X2.jpg

_DSC2187-X2.jpg

_DSC2188-X2.jpg

The show ended with an amazing Grand Finale!!

_DSC2189-X2.jpg

_DSC2190-X2.jpg

Phew! That was awesome!

Soon after the end a woman came up to me and told me she was standing behind me and watching my shots appear on the screen of my camera.

"Amazing shots!" she said, which for me was the cherry on top. :)

Up NEXT - the night's not over at Magic Kingdom.
I could only dream of taking photos this amazing!

fractal

Original Poster
Excellent fireworks pictures. I'm glad those guys agreed to move without there being a fight.
thanks @ajrwdwgirl ! and yeah, no fisticuffs that night. :D

When you described your interaction with the big guys blocking your view, I started picturing the gang from Tangled that hang out in the Snuggly Duckling Tavern!
Yes, kinda like that!

These are spectacular!! I'm stealing one for my desktop at work to get me even more pumped about my trip. (That is unless Irma causes havoc)
Thanks @Zipitidoda ! I've been thinking about your trip as I'm watching the Irma update. Hope it turns up and out to sea.

And yet another set of photos that TDO should be paying you for their marketing material.
Thanks @Bob! You are now officially my agent. 20% cut!

AMAZING PHOTOS!!
Thanks @riverside !

I could only dream of taking photos this amazing!
Lol! thanks again!

Your photos are capturing the parks so well!! Thanks for allowing us to "Visit" through your photography!
Thank you @bcoachable! and thanks for following and commenting!

absolutely stunning, best pictures iv ever seen.
Much appreciated @Gurt! thanks for following!

Absolutely stunning pictures!!
Thank you @rshell68 !

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Yet another "absolutely stunning" vote on your HEA photos.

I'm sure it's just that I've hung out with lawyers for way too long, but you should consider watermarking those with a copyright before posting them online. Wouldn't want to see those gorgeous images turn up somewhere without proper credit to you. Not that any of our members would do such a thing, but once they're on the internet...anything could happen. :confused: (I know, I know, I'm a horrible suspicious person)

Dave B

Back to the Yacht Club and instead of taking photos of the new Yacht Club rooms, I crashed on the bed (sorry). The rooms are nice and "contemporary" and as I mentioned in my pre-trip report they have been de-disneyfied. The Disney accents are very subtle. For someone like Val it works - for me I could use a bit more Mickey in my room. I also noticed the music on the bus is played at a lower level and is instrumental - vs. louder full Disney songs. The impression that I got was somebody decided to turn down the "Mickey volume" when outside of the parks. If you want to have the constant feeling of being in the Disney bubble you can find it, if you don't need that in your face 24/7 it's easy to tune out.

Still hidden Mickeys in the Yacht Club area rug...(but not in the hallway carpeting).

_DSC0547-X2.jpg

After a much needed break and some unpacking, we regrouped to tackle our first night in Epcot. Everyone except Sterg & I went to the pool. The "boy's" took their toys (camera and tripod) and headed to Epcot; hustling once again to make Reflections of Earth.

A quick shot of the Boardwalk first.

_DSC0549-X3.jpg

Sterg and I hit World Showcase just as they started to dim the lights. My plan was to take long exposure fireworks photos with the help of my tripod. Showing up 30 seconds before the show starts in not the way to do that. After walking around for a few minutes it was clear every good spot was taken. I was disappointed especially because last trip I failed at doing the same thing. Then I saw a little nook near Japan that I thought might work. We scrambled over there and staked our space (not that anyone else was too interested). It was a partially blocked view, but I thought I could make it work. I quickly unfolded and set up my tripod and although I missed the start of the show (which I love!) I managed a few photos that I was very pleased with...

_DSC0564-X2.jpg

_DSC0565-X2.jpg

_DSC0568-X2.jpg

I used an aperture of f/6.3 with a 13 second exposure @ ISO 50 for those keeping score. This may be my favorite...

_DSC0572-X2.jpg

I opted for a tighter focal length using a 55mm lens vs my wide lens thinking the bonsai tree and Japanese structure would make a great foreground.

During the time I was setting up, I handed the camera to Sterg who took a few handheld shots of the fireworks. Big difference.

_DSC0561-X2.jpg

I bring this up because often when people see my photos of long exposure fireworks they'll say "Wow, you must have a great camera." While I do have a very good camera, it's not the camera as much the technique. A decent camera on a tripod with the correct settings will get you those beautiful streaks and flares - if you know what your doing.

During the show we heard that Toni and Courtney were in Epcot about to get on Soarin' (Courtney had gotten us FPs). We quickly packed up and decided to follow their lead.

Sterg and I were continuing a great conversation that started as we left Yacht Club. He wanted to express how much he was enjoying being back in WDW (not easy for a 20 year old "tough guy athlete") and through the start of our YouTube channel, how we've been spending more time together. Indeed on this trip, Toni and Courtney naturally went together so Sterg and I become the "boy's" pair.

"Everyone is so nice in Disney." He said. "I've really noticed that. Not just the people working here, but the people visiting. Everyone is just so nice."

"Well, not everyone," I replied thinking of a few instances in the past. "but I'm sure its much more than normal."

"It's just such an amazing place. All the parks, the resorts, the stores..." It was as if he was talking about a new love. As we made our way towards the Land, every little detail stood out to him. The amazement of being in a park at 10pm in the dark ready to tackle more thrills. He mentioned how great it was that "for once" it was just him and I.

It's very true that Toni had been my "sidekick" for the last trips. Sterg and Alex played the cool older brother and sister and forged their own alliance. But the circumstances of this trip, especially at a time when a father/son relationship is not always the best, turned at to be perfect (well almost).

We both agreed it was good to see "Patrick" again.

_DSC0575-X2.jpg

It reminded me of the trip to California Sterg and I took in 2012 (and rode Soarin' 5 times). He was 15 at the time, in full fledged "cool teenager" mode. Not only was he not carrying around a camera, he wanted nothing to do with having any photos taken of him and wasn't that thrilled about strolling around with his Dad in Disneyland. We had fun no doubt but I realized on this night in Epcot how much he's matured and changed. There is hope, fellow parents of teenagers!

Soon we were flying around the World.

_DSC0576-X2.jpg

_DSC0581-X2.jpg

_DSC0584-X2.jpg

_DSC0601-X2.jpg

Coming up...

Our first day in Disney is not over yet! Plenty more to be done during EMH at Epcot.
I see you sat to the right and not in the center, I cant believe Soarin looks like this from the side, we were disappointed, but when we sat center row it was amazing

gdisneyfans

For those that have never seen the Yeti working; Yes - it IS that good.
Yes it is! I remember the first time riding it I couldn't believe my eyes - I really thought that thing was real and was going to swing down and hit me:jawdrop:

jumped into another MinnieVan for a quick and easy ride to Magic Kingdom.
Odd question - where do the MinnieVans drop you off at MK? Just curious since it is Disney transportation.

As many others have mentioned, your fireworks shots are absolutely amazing!!

newhorizons1

Your Stormalong Bay photos are making me long for another stay at the Beach Club!

Great group photos (with and without Mia, lol!)!

I’ve traveled to Paris and Normandy. Both are great places that I plan on visiting again! I just really wish that Chefs de France had outdoor café style seating. One of my favorite memories was sitting outside a Paris café sharing a cheese plate and bottle of wine with my husband. Glad your family enjoyed Chefs de France. It’s a family favorite of ours too!

Your Epcot photos from your night at Chefs de France are just incredible. As always, thanks for the photography commentary along the way!

Discovery Cove is one of those items on my list of things I’ll do if I break out of the Disney bubble. Glad to see that the ladies had a fun girls’ day there!

Great fireworks shots! Glad Sterg was feeling better enough to spend the day out with you!

donaldtoo

I generally, in the past, have kinda' just skimmed through most trip reports and not chimed in very often. And, although I have yet to chime in on this one (and this is one of the few TRs I've actually followed all the way through), the fireworks photos were the tipping point. Besides the fact that all of your photos are pretty amazing, I also hafta' say BRAVO sir to those fireworks pics...simply STUNNING...!!!!!!! :joyfull: :)

A couple of other things off the top of my head...
I was a bit surprised you had never ridden the WDWRR, or been at MK during sunset. :jawdrop: ;) But, I know there are a large number of things we have yet to do at WDW that would make others go :jawdrop:, also...!!! :hilarious: :)

Anyway, an awesome TR all the way around, and thanks for taking the time to share it with us...!!! :)

fractal

Original Poster
BEAUTIFUL photos! How do you even begin to pick a favorite!? I second @Zipitidoda....need to steal one for my computer background!
Thanks @MeeskaMooska0714 ! enjoy!

I've been reading along enjoying the report and pictures and haven't commented, until NOW!
I have seen hundreds of photos of Disney over the years, and yours are absolutely a treasure. I don't know how you get the shades and values of colors you get, but they are spectacular!
Thanks for these beautiful photos.:)
Thanks for the compliments and comments! @Minnesota disney fan !

Yet another "absolutely stunning" vote on your HEA photos.

I'm sure it's just that I've hung out with lawyers for way too long, but you should consider watermarking those with a copyright before posting them online. Wouldn't want to see those gorgeous images turn up somewhere without proper credit to you. Not that any of our members would do such a thing, but once they're on the internet...anything could happen. :confused: (I know, I know, I'm a horrible suspicious person)

Thank you @Tiggerish! Probably good advise!

I see you sat to the right and not in the center, I cant believe Soarin looks like this from the side, we were disappointed, but when we sat center row it was amazing
It happens so fast but yes it is noticeable. I still enjoyed it. thanks for following!

Yes it is! I remember the first time riding it I couldn't believe my eyes - I really thought that thing was real and was going to swing down and hit me:jawdrop:

Odd question - where do the MinnieVans drop you off at MK? Just curious since it is Disney transportation.

As many others have mentioned, your fireworks shots are absolutely amazing!!
Thanks @gdisneyfans ! Someday they'll fix the Yeti. As far as the MinnieVan, they drop you off at the bus drop off area - close to the walkway. It was very convenient.

View attachment 227039 This picture is my favorite one!! I think that the greenish thing on the right is Think which makes me love this photo even more!! Absolutely beautiful photos!! :inlove:
Thanks @becca_ ! and I believe you are correct.

Love the photos of HEA! Echo everyone else's comments.:)
Thanks much @Tiggertoo56 !

Your Stormalong Bay photos are making me long for another stay at the Beach Club!

Great group photos (with and without Mia, lol!)!

I’ve traveled to Paris and Normandy. Both are great places that I plan on visiting again! I just really wish that Chefs de France had outdoor café style seating. One of my favorite memories was sitting outside a Paris café sharing a cheese plate and bottle of wine with my husband. Glad your family enjoyed Chefs de France. It’s a family favorite of ours too!

Your Epcot photos from your night at Chefs de France are just incredible. As always, thanks for the photography commentary along the way!

Discovery Cove is one of those items on my list of things I’ll do if I break out of the Disney bubble. Glad to see that the ladies had a fun girls’ day there!

Great fireworks shots! Glad Sterg was feeling better enough to spend the day out with you!
thanks on everything @newhorizons1 ! I'm sure you are counting down the days!

You've done it, my friend
HEA shots
View attachment 227071
Thank you @MerMom1981 ! Lol!

Fractal, I truly thought that after enjoying all your photos (for the past few years now), that there was no way you could possibly outdo yourself. Guess what? You just did.
Thanks @MinnieM123 ! :)

Love this picture!
Thank you sir!

Without question, the best fireworks pictures I have ever seen on magic!!
Much appreciated @coachwnh !

fractal

Original Poster
I generally, in the past, have kinda' just skimmed through most trip reports and not chimed in very often. And, although I have yet to chime in on this one (and this is one of the few TRs I've actually followed all the way through), the fireworks photos were the tipping point. Besides the fact that all of your photos are pretty amazing, I also hafta' say BRAVO sir to those fireworks pics...simply STUNNING...!!!!!!! :joyfull: :)

A couple of other things off the top of my head...
I was a bit surprised you had never ridden the WDWRR, or been at MK during sunset. :jawdrop: ;) But, I know there are a large number of things we have yet to do at WDW that would make others go :jawdrop:, also...!!! :hilarious: :)

Anyway, an awesome TR all the way around, and thanks for taking the time to share it with us...!!! :)

And I thought you were sitting this one out. :D Thanks for following along (again) and for the comments!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom