What's your maximum on ticket prices? An unscientific poll...

How much are you willing to pay to get into a park? (per person/per day)

• They've already hit my max

Votes: 79 48.2%
  • $125 - $150

Votes: 33 20.1%
  • $151 - $175

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • $176 - $200

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • $201 - $250

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • More than $250

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.0%

• Total voters

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Hmmm like others have said to me it's the whole enchilada I have to swallow. SO for my next trip it will be $53 a day....not too shabby since think I paid more than that for one day decades ago....but of course the more days I am there the more resort nights and food etc. Airfare is same no matter how many days I stay, I have always but once got a "room discount"....I use my Disney Reward dollars from my Disney Chase Visa that usually covers most if not all my food, so I don't analyze the cost of that either. I have always obtained free plane tickets from flyer points, or paid under $100 per person to fly. So can't say what would price me out of the parks ticket wise, honestly I have figured out some way to justify concierge level many trips with my savings elsewhere, but next trip? I can not swing that. So same resort just less perks for about the same price. Sigh. Since the ultimate thing you need to GO to WDW is THE ticket....they rather have us there. One can drive, stay elsewhere, eat elsewhere(bring in food...yes my inlaws did that once), but can't escape the almighty ticket cost.
A few times we have actually gotten discounted tickets through DH's workplace.....

So if the total cost of all the things I have to pay for went up significantly, I am sure there would be a breaking point. I go less often now my children are young adults....and bottom line it depends on whether I have the disposable income to afford it. As in I wouldn't take a loan or borrow against my 401K....but do search for creative ways to make it happen. :angelic::happy::cool:

Skibum1970

We typically get the four-day pass which covers our stay. Per the DW site, that averages around $95/day for a week. For the two of us, it is really starting to get close to being too expensive. This year, we're going in November which will finally allow us to see the Christmas decorations. Going forward, I'm not sure if we'll got but once every three years or so. The cost, which includes flights, hotel, and tickets, runs a minimum of $2,000 plus food and souvenirs. That is just too much for a vacation. So, the cost of ticket per day plays a part but it is more the total cost that is more of a deciding factor. Add in the fact that I want to start visiting some more national parks and the Smithsonian museums and we veer further away from Disney.

The more difficult decision comes in the early part of the year. I abhor wintertime (Ohio winters are not the worst but they still are not enjoyable) and thus we had started taking a shorter trip in February to counter the winter blues. So, maybe we book a flight/hotel but not go to WDW except maybe once per trip.

Major Mickey

I pay approx. $42 a day for a park hopper. So my cap is a ways away. DVC Gold pass approx. $600 used for seven days on a October/November trip then seven days on the following year around September. 14 days total.

Dave B

We typically get the four-day pass which covers our stay. Per the DW site, that averages around $95/day for a week. For the two of us, it is really starting to get close to being too expensive. This year, we're going in November which will finally allow us to see the Christmas decorations. Going forward, I'm not sure if we'll got but once every three years or so. The cost, which includes flights, hotel, and tickets, runs a minimum of $2,000 plus food and souvenirs. That is just too much for a vacation. So, the cost of ticket per day plays a part but it is more the total cost that is more of a deciding factor. Add in the fact that I want to start visiting some more national parks and the Smithsonian museums and we veer further away from Disney.

The more difficult decision comes in the early part of the year. I abhor wintertime (Ohio winters are not the worst but they still are not enjoyable) and thus we had started taking a shorter trip in February to counter the winter blues. So, maybe we book a flight/hotel but not go to WDW except maybe once per trip.
So whenyou say $2000 is too much for a vacation, I am curious what other types of vacations you are doing for the time frame and the cost to be so different?

Skibum1970

We can go to the UP in Michigan and spend in the neighborhood of $1,500 or less. A trip to the Smokies will run us around $700 (since it is close enough to drive). I think that a DC trip would also be in the neighborhood of $1,500. We tend to eat cheaply, including packing our own lunch. Also, our trips last around five days, on average. We haven't taken a two week trip in a very long time and that kind of trip would start tilting the scale in expense.

wdwdonnie

How much are you willing to spend... rather, what's YOUR breaking point on tickets to get into the WDW parks? Pick one of the poll options and expound in the comments below...
We bought annual passes saved $200 on our two trips we take, and now 4 trips this year !

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
We can go to the UP in Michigan and spend in the neighborhood of $1,500 or less. A trip to the Smokies will run us around $700 (since it is close enough to drive). I think that a DC trip would also be in the neighborhood of $1,500. We tend to eat cheaply, including packing our own lunch. Also, our trips last around five days, on average. We haven't taken a two week trip in a very long time and that kind of trip would start tilting the scale in expense.

Yeah but you can't ride Big Thunder Mountain in the UP! :) Castle Rock and the Mystery Spot don't hold too much magic either...but they do have a gift shop...ha..... But YES do go see DC and the museums, National Parks....and I just got back from the Smokies....awesome trip and what natural beauty. The thing that gets many is the per person when you have multiple children.....ouch! I have argued the what do you spend on your trip with non Disney geeks, and most often its as much or more, for their cruises and spa vacations. And that is comparing to my trip planning savings vs forking out for a package.... But being a Michigander I do empathize with your need to escape to some greenery mid winter....major draw for me. But! Ohio has so many beautiful spots to explore as well the rest of the year too! :happy:

Bpmorley

We will not consider buying regular tickets again. We will wait for DVC to run a special on APs. If they don't then after the last couple days on a NE ticket runs out, we just won't go again.

Deadphish

They already hit my max a few years ago but my family each still have non expiring tickets with 6 theme park days and 9 water park days on them. So I plan on beating two more trips out of those tickets while teaching my children what a waste of money Disney has become, so they don’t get caught up in trying to recreate memories with their children that we had together. Which I’m guilty of.

JillC LI

It's hard to say. I go to WDW for several days, and I price out what it would cost for the full package that I want. If I can afford that package, I go. If not, I tweak it. The daily ticket price is not the determinative factor.

DisneyJoe

I have argued the what do you spend on your trip with non Disney geeks, and most often its as much or more, for their cruises and spa vacations. And that is comparing to my trip planning savings vs forking out for a package....
I see the same thing with many of my friends - they come to me with the attitude that Disney just must be too expensive because everyone tells them so, but when they price it out and compare to their usual family vacations to the beach or mountains or other road trips with attractions along the way, and add everything up, it works out to be the same.

Last edited:

HansGruber

And if people stop paying $300, Broadway raises the other ticket prices to make up the difference.

The average cost for a Broadway show is nowhere near $300.
Where on earth did you get the idea they will simply raise ticket prices to make up for the difference?!
Broadway has 1/2-off kiosks where you can buy same day tickets at 50% off the advertised price.
That goes directly against what you stated.

HansGruber

You've never seen premium seating? And did you know that 1/2 off seating is now ridiculously high because the producers want to ensure they make the most money possible? Most TKTS tickets aren't even 1/2 off. More like 1/3. Hamilton and Wicked have many $300 seats. Hello, Dolly! with Bette? I'm pretty sure that's a record. This is nothing new.

Oh, and how could I forget Cursed Child?

You're quoting the most popular shows! Clearly, they raise prices because the demand is there!
They'll stop raising ticket prices once the demand lessens.

No business ever raised ticket prices to makeup for a lack of demand! Where are you getting this from?!

HansGruber

I'm getting it from history. History. The average Broadway ticket price has gone up (not down) - exponentially, in fact, in the last 5 years. Just like Disney. What I find continually baffling is that the "popular shows" aren't the only culprits. Operating costs and overhead are increasing, too, and most producers are throwing things onto the stage because they still believe in art. But these shows don't last - because they are victim to rising ticket prices, too. So, 50% off is now $90-100 for even the struggling shows. I can give you a list of all the popular shows here rolling in $300 or more.

Aladdin
Anastasia
Beautiful
Cursed Child
Dear Evan Hansen
Frozen (that's kinda stupid because they're dying)
Hamilton
Hello, Dolly!
My Fair Lady
Springsteen (well, there are some $600-800 tickets, so obviously not a good example)
The Band's Visit (Not $300 but certainly in the $200 area since winning the Tony)
The Book of Mormon
The Lion King
Waitress
Wicked

Do you know how many shows there currently are on Broadway? 30. Do you know how many shows I just listed? 15. That's half. These aren't a few scattered shows, it's 50%. And the rest like Chicago and Phantom have played for decades.

Yes, the popular shows remain. The unpopular shows close.
They don't raise the ticket prices on unpopular shows...economics 101.

I can get Wicked tickets next Monday for $99, straight from broadway.com.

HansGruber

Your point is vague and confusing, at best.
You're stating generalities on an entire industry (Broadway), but mentioning only popular and premium-based shows as justification.

Hamilton tickets will continue to go up in price just enough to maximum profit while helping to retaining demand. They can do this because the demand is there.
If prices go too high, the demand will start to decrease.
Once the demand decreases, they don't raise ticket prices to "make-up" for lost profit. That's not a thing. It has never been a thing anywhere in the history of economics.

jloucks

Dang, Adding the first option kinda ruined the poll. :depressed:

I interpreted the question to mean "if the parks were not crowded" and/or what would happen to crowds at $250+.

So, in that event, $250+ a day is fine. But, if everything is as they are now, "I've hit my max".

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Ha was just thinking if only it would keep up with our pay increases....then I instantly remembered we really have not gotten one in about a decade....oooh little bonuses a few years, but does not really help unless bottom line increases, that and cost of living itself does not remain stagnant...while Disney increases multiple times per year sometimes. As far as comparing it to other forms of entertainment, such as broadway shows....I can't honestly say I can get what I go to WDW for anywhere else....sure I could complain about this or that, but there are so many little details and intangible things that make it hands down my most desired vacation period. Would I pay premium for a less crowded park? Probably.....:angelic:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom