Whats with the finger scanners?

Disneyfan2000

Original Poster
Hey everyone what exactly is the point of the finger scanners at the parks right were you swip your ticket? We've never had to use them. so whats the point?

Craig & Lisa

Hey everyone what exactly is the point of the finger scanners at the parks right were you swip your ticket? We've never had to use them. so whats the point?
If I remember they set up some kind of biometric system to make sure that the ticket you put into the machine is yours and not someone else trying to use it. The problem is that in most cases they let you go through if the ticket does not work, and then advise you to go to customer relations to get it corrected.

We scan ours but we have Annual Passes so they want to check that we are the owner of the passes. I also think if your tikects are on your room keys then they check also to make sure they are not stolen.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
They turned off the scanners a lot while we were there. If the lines are crowded, scanning slows things down too much.

monorailguy01

Well I was told by a CM that works at the MK gates that the reason for the 1 finger scan is because people could not figure out how to to the 2 finger scan or whatever the 2 finger one did.. hahaha

ToTBellHop

They turned off the scanners a lot while we were there. If the lines are crowded, scanning slows things down too much.
I was just going to say that--I only go during busy seasons (due to school), and the scanners are almost always off--except during the mid-day lull in entrances, so I only ever had to use the scanners when I would park hop. It's kinda like the airport searches. Most people will get scanned at least a few times during a visit, and that, alone, will convince most people to buy their tickets right from Disney.

tr1plese7en

Well I was told by a CM that works at the MK gates that the reason for the 1 finger scan is because people could not figure out how to to the 2 finger scan or whatever the 2 finger one did.. hahaha

I don't know if this was a big reason for the switch but the one finger scan does make it easier. Even then some people still don't get it.

lwalker8

The finger scanners are really pointless. They are more or less just sitting there to look daunting to anyone planning on cheating the system by sharing a pass, or reselling it. I say they save money and just stick a picture of the person on the tickets like most major parks do.

Rob562

The finger scanners are really pointless. They are more or less just sitting there to look daunting to anyone planning on cheating the system by sharing a pass, or reselling it. I say they save money and just stick a picture of the person on the tickets like most major parks do.

Because finger scanning is associated with ALL tickets now, not just Annual Passes, it's cheaper than photos. If *every* single-day ticket at your local Six Flags park required you to have your photo taken and printed on the ticket, I highly doubt that would be cheaper (or faster and easier for the Guests). And photos would require a CM to be posted at EVERY turnstile and looking at EVERYONE'S photos to make sure they're the correct person. Under the current systems, they can have one CM covering two or three turnstiles at one time. The finger scanners save Disney money (in the long run at least)

-Rob

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
My view on the finger scanners is pretty negative... point in case, I use my middle finger for the biometric scan :)

Mature? Absolutely not... but that's how I feel about this and the entire MYW ticketing changes... (and the bag checks, and the undercover blue canaries, and any show of force and security that fails to make you safer).

landauh

Actually the purpose for the scanners is to know when certain individuals enter the parks. Whenever mkt enters, the computers send out an alert and two of three blue canaries (undercover security) to tail him until he leaves.:D

AEfx

It annoys me to no end when people can't figure out how to place one finger on the blue light. Its not rocket science. :zipit:

I have to agree. I think it's funny when people get upset about someone calling SSE "the golf ball", or referring to MK as "Disney World" (not everyone is a Disney fan), but how some people just fail to understand "put your finger here and hold still" is beyond me.

However, I totally understand and recognize the reasons for it. "Magic Your Way" tickets are a great value for the average vacationer compared to the "super deluxe you have to buy it all" tickets they offered before for longer stays. In giving us a new, flexible pricing scheme they had to do something to keep ticket scamming at a minimum.

AEfx

sknydave

The two finger scanners were not as user friendly as the current ones. Probably because your fingers were covered by a little metal plate so it was very hard to gauge whether you were on the sensor correctly or not.

ToTBellHop

eh...Disney just wants to make sure that all of the profits from theme park tickets go into their pockets...which is their prerogative. Plus, I'm sure they deal with angry guests who bought their tickets from scalpers, too. I could easily see someone buying their "5-day" park hopper off eBay, showing up to discover they can't enter the parks, and getting angry at Disney for not allowing them in with the tickets they paid good money for. Then they head to guest relations and it just isn't a good situation. Now, they don't have to worry about it.
I have to agree. I think it's funny when people get upset about someone calling SSE "the golf ball", or referring to MK as "Disney World" (not everyone is a Disney fan), but how some people just fail to understand "put your finger here and hold still" is beyond me.

However, I totally understand and recognize the reasons for it. "Magic Your Way" tickets are a great value for the average vacationer compared to the "super deluxe you have to buy it all" tickets they offered before for longer stays. In giving us a new, flexible pricing scheme they had to do something to keep ticket scamming at a minimum.

AEfx

Agreed. I love MYW tickets. Now, I can save some money because I don't have to pay for the no expiration option that I had always been paying for in years past...and never used.

Also, the two-finger scanners were a real pain cuz you had to squeeze your fingers together perfectly for it to work. But, not figuring out the 1-finger is just dumb. I always laugh when I see the people who don't understand why they need to use the SAME finger each time...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom