What's With All The Sushi? Disney Springs

Chrononymous

Original Poster
Sorry if this is a query that has already come up...but I have been absent for a while...Please direct me to appropriate threads, if that be the case!

So...my last trip to the World was 7 years ago. Today I was fortunate enough to get a small Disney fix by being in the area, and checking out Downtown Di...uh...I mean Disney Springs.

We arrived on the West End around dinnertime, and looked at every menu board posted to get a feel of what we wanted....and almost everywhere...Sushi!

What is the deal? I really don't remember this being a feature of the restaurants here. And certainly not so many... Like, I get the seafood places including it...and an Asian restaurant is a given...but...Wolfgang Pucks? Splitsville? Seriously? What gives?
I do like sushi...but man...I was surprised to find it n every menu we looked at ( except Raglan Road, thank god... Cuz that would be just weird)

Jon81uk

It is quite a small part of the Splitsville and a very small part of the Wolfgang menus isn't it? In fact at Wolfgang Puck all I can see on the menu on this site is a little Sashimi at The Dining Room, nothing at the Grand Cafe.

But you also have Paridiso, Bongos, House of Blues, Fultons, Raglan Road, Portobello which (as far as I know) don't serve sushi.

So three restaurants ( Morimoto, Splitsville and Wolfgang Puck) serve sushi but at least six don't.

G00fyDad

It is quite a small part of the Splitsville and a very small part of the Wolfgang menus isn't it? In fact at Wolfgang Puck all I can see on the menu on this site is a little Sashimi at The Dining Room, nothing at the Grand Cafe.

But you also have Paridiso, Bongos, House of Blues, Fultons, Raglan Road, Portobello which (as far as I know) don't serve sushi.

So three restaurants ( Morimoto, Splitsville and Wolfgang Puck) serve sushi but at least six don't.

You forgot the AMC Fork and Dine.

Hockey89

Sorry if this is a query that has already come up...but I have been absent for a while...Please direct me to appropriate threads, if that be the case!

So...my last trip to the World was 7 years ago. Today I was fortunate enough to get a small Disney fix by being in the area, and checking out Downtown Di...uh...I mean Disney Springs.

We arrived on the West End around dinnertime, and looked at every menu board posted to get a feel of what we wanted....and almost everywhere...Sushi!

What is the deal? I really don't remember this being a feature of the restaurants here. And certainly not so many... Like, I get the seafood places including it...and an Asian restaurant is a given...but...Wolfgang Pucks? Splitsville? Seriously? What gives?
I do like sushi...but man...I was surprised to find it n every menu we looked at ( except Raglan Road, thank god... Cuz that would be just weird)
People order it and like it so places have it...

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I love sushi! More sushi! Bring on the Irish sushi! But seriously it sounds like because you don't like it is just stuck out to you on the menus boards.

Chrononymous

Original Poster
I do like it...in fact I love it! I just don't remember it being so...prevalent.

I guess it's a dining trend...I was just really really surprised, is all.

Where I'm from, you have to go seriously out of your way to find it.

epcotisbest

I do like it...in fact I love it! I just don't remember it being so...prevalent.

You can get it at gas stations and convenience stores here, but I would not reccomend it. If you love sushi try Kimonos over at the Swan.

Chrononymous

Original Poster
You can get it at gas stations and convenience stores here, but I would not reccomend it. If you love sushi try Kimonos over at the Swan.
I was seriously warned against gas station sushi.
I am in Melbourne at the moment and found the most delightful sushi buffet around the corner!
I might try the Swan on your recommendation!:joyfull:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Publix supermarkets now have a sushi counter, especially stores that cater to a college age crowd. For some reason, college students are obsessed with sushi. Guess it makes a nice, albeit expensive, break from ramen.... I'm not a big fan of raw fish.

Phonedave

It is a food trend right now. People think it is heathy for them.Technically, sushi is all about the rice, not the fish. You can have sushi without the fish (such as cucumber, tomago (egg), and chicken (cooked of course) but without the rice it is not susi. So you see lots of places putting sushi on the menu, but it is usually items where holding them for a long time will not ruin them. I noticed that Teppan Edo does this. their sushi is horrible, and then I noticed that it is all pre-made and held for service - ugh.

-dave

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Sorry I just misread your post. Around here you can get sushi any wear. Pretty much every grocery store has a sushi counter. So guess we are used to it.

Hockey89

It is a food trend right now. People think it is heathy for them.Technically, sushi is all about the rice, not the fish. You can have sushi without the fish (such as cucumber, tomago (egg), and chicken (cooked of course) but without the rice it is not susi. So you see lots of places putting sushi on the menu, but it is usually items where holding them for a long time will not ruin them. I noticed that Teppan Edo does this. their sushi is horrible, and then I noticed that it is all pre-made and held for service - ugh.

-dave
For the most part, it is not all that healthy either.... Depending on the Mercury levels on the certain fish, calories from the rice, salt from the soy sauce, and any funky sushi roll (sauces on it ect)... Most people would be shocked the amount of calories in a standard spicy tuna roll or cal roll...

As for the cooked chicken, many places in japan serve chicken med rare and do it sashimi styles. That was a shock for me lol... But they are all free range chicken so they don't have the issues we do....

Sushi is trendy with the masses now. A Japanese friend of mine commented that you can now purchase sushi at a wider variety of places in the U.S. than you can in Japan. (Meaning, almost every variety of restaurant feels obligated to have sushi on the menu now.)

And by "sushi," I mean something California roll-ish. I don't mean sushi in its essential form (sushi rice with sweetened and salted rice vinegar) or sashimi, either, though you can probably purchase the latter at a strangely wide variety of places now, too. :)

Last edited:

Phonedave

For the most part, it is not all that healthy either.... Depending on the Mercury levels on the certain fish, calories from the rice, salt from the soy sauce, and any funky sushi roll (sauces on it ect)... Most people would be shocked the amount of calories in a standard spicy tuna roll or cal roll...

As for the cooked chicken, many places in japan serve chicken med rare and do it sashimi styles. That was a shock for me lol... But they are all free range chicken so they don't have the issues we do....

Sadly fish, which in and of itself is not a bad food, has become increasingly contaminated. I don't know about the chickens. Unless I know were they were commmnig from, and the conditions they were slaughtered and stored in, I dont think I am trusting it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom