What's the scariest mountain?

Pepper's Ghost

I think it may have to do with what aspect of roller coasters you find scary. If it's the speed, as has been already said, neither Space Mountain, nor Big Thunder are particularly fast. If it's about height, then in my opinion, Space Mountain shouldn't really be much of a problem since it's hard to actually determine the height, due to it being in the dark, so that may not be a problem.
Good points. Another aspect is what part of the train you ride in for coasters with longer trains. If you ride the front, the coaster is slower. If you ride the back, you get whipped around a lot. Most people think the front of the coaster is the scariest. It's not necessarily depending on what scares you most. If heights scare you, the front is "scarier". If it's speed, then the back is "scarier". Space Mountain though has really short trains so this doesn't apply as much.

kalel8145

Good points. Another aspect is what part of the train you ride in for coasters with longer trains. If you ride the front, the coaster is slower. If you ride the back, you get whipped around a lot. Most people think the front of the coaster is the scariest. It's not necessarily depending on what scares you most. If heights scare you, the front is "scarier". If it's speed, then the back is "scarier". Space Mountain though has really short trains so this doesn't apply as much.
Yes, I like the back much better then the front. I feel the need, the need for speed.

Diamond Dot

I don't mind fast and high coasters, but, I hate Mouse coasters like Hester and Chester was. I like space Mountain, but, it's a bit too rough for my old bones now, but, getting out has become dificult because my knees area bit duff and I have a mortal fear of being unable to get out at all, oh the embarrassment!

Pepper's Ghost

The one thing about Space Mountain is the floor of the building gets a bit messy...

330x192.jpg

(Tried this joke in another thread, but didn't get any reaction.) 🤣

spock8113

My kids got a pin from Universal that says "RollerCoaster Chicken" and I wear it proudly.
Some people, like me, simply do not have the capacity for the sensory and endorphin overloads that come with these rides.
Simulated rides like Star Wars or actually flying don't bother me at all, in fact, I love them.
Having a mechanical background, I am all too familiar with the mechanics and physics of rides like these, so I break into a cold sweat when I think of what can happen mechanically. Yes, I know Disney inspects it's rides, but that is not much comfort when you put your entire life into the hands of a machinist who made that high-strength wheel axle on a Monday morning after getting the divorce papers and a notice of foreclosure.
Try the Matterhorn!

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I totally relate to the fear of coasters! I do think Space Mountain is scarier than Thunder, but only because of the darkness and the shadows of the track from above feeling very close (even as someone who's short). I actually think Thunder is faster and the back row makes the drops feel bigger than anything on Space!

I was so scared of Space Mountain for most of my life, but finally tried it a few years ago and it's my favorite ride now. ❤️

AndyS2992

Space Mountain is nothing more than a baby coaster in the dark lol Super slow, no big drops or anything. The darkness skews your perception making it feel far more faster than it is.

Jrb1979

First I will say the back is the best seat as its where you usually get the most air time.

As far as the Disney mountains go, IMO they are all very tame and a not scary at all. Mako and Velicoaster are scarier and more intense.

DonaldDoleWhip

Space Mountain is the scariest to me (not “scary” so much as painful), because the way it violently whips you around gives you a fear of snapping your lower back or neck.

I far prefer Disneyland’s, aside from the placemaking, lack of drops, and occasional Star Wars overlay.

Everest second for the extended backwards portion.

SamandplanningUK

Original Poster
Space is probably the scariets because it's in the dark. But as others have noted, the actual speed is not that fast. Test Track and Rockin Roller Coaster are much faster from a literal speed point of view. Splash has a big drop, as does Everest. Also as noted, depends on what scares you, speed, drops, inversions, ? Rockin Roller Coaster is the only one that goes upside down.

I have bad astigmatism in both eyes, my retina's are really stretched and I've been warned about various activities (No playing squash, no bungee jumping, no watching a tennis match from the side, no roller coasters!) Obviously the last one being subjective to the G force and speed of the coaster, I don't know where the line is that's the issue!
I gave Big thunder a go, knowing it wasn't fast and no big drops/inversions, etc and all was good!
Just don't want to pass up the opportunity to enjoy these things with my kids before they leave the nest and do their own thing or have fun on a date night with hubby if I can do them without detaching my retina's!

Sbk1234

I have bad astigmatism in both eyes, my retina's are really stretched and I've been warned about various activities (No playing squash, no bungee jumping, no watching a tennis match from the side, no roller coasters!) Obviously the last one being subjective to the G force and speed of the coaster, I don't know where the line is that's the issue!
I gave Big thunder a go, knowing it wasn't fast and no big drops/inversions, etc and all was good!
Just don't want to pass up the opportunity to enjoy these things with my kids before they leave the nest and do their own thing or have fun on a date night with hubby if I can do them without detaching my retina's!
I get where you're coming from. I have heart issues and need to be careful about what I ride. I would love to go on certain rides with my kids, but it's not worth risking another heart attack. I'm sure your family would rather have you around in good health than risk it riding a roller coaster.

We love Edna Mode

The older I get the harder it is to get out of the space mountain ride vehicles lol. Thunder is a breeze but was never a fan of Splash. It’s more about getting wet! Had no problem on Everest but won’t do rnrc because I don’t like to be inverted. Go have fun and just keep the linament handy!

NelleBelle

Even though it's not considered a "roller coaster", I would DEFINITELY stay away from Mission: Space (at least the orange side)! My experience was coming off that ride with rupture blood vessels in my eye. I've never had a ride do that before. I only do the "green side" now, sadly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom