Whats the deal with the jungle cruise

mitchk

Original Poster
When I was on the Jungle cruise in Nov, the skippers had their guns back. I rode it twice and both times the skipper shot the hippo in front of the boat. Now, when I was there last week, I also rode it twice, and both time the skipper said he had to fire a warning shot to scare the hippos. Then he proceeded to shoot blindly into the air. What's the point of having the guns back? Also does anyone know if they plan to add the monkeys with guns and explosives scene to WDW jungle cruise like they did in DL? Oh, one more thing, when I was last there I got to ride the jungle cruise at night, and it is much more convincing. You really feel like you are in the jungle. I highly recommend you ride at night, if possible

Carolwood

It's called being politically correct. Same as with the changes to POTC. It's a sign of the times I suppose. I rode the Jungle Cruise last Oct. and our driver also only fired a warning shot. It didn't really change the ride experience for me though. Riding at night on the other hand sounds pretty cool, I imagine that might change the hole JC experience.

My best friend and I stayed for the EMH and Jungle Cruise had no wait, so we went on, and it is definitely way better in the dark. When we got off we were really tempted to go again, but we needed to get to the other rides before the park closed. It was excellent at night though, I suggest it to all.

I.M.Fearless

Okay, the only real PC change was, for a while the guns were gone. Then they came back. I'm not sure why. But, I'm pretty sure the proper procedure for the skipper is to shoot into the air. The couple of times before that they shot at the hippo were probably doing it wrong (I was there in November and every time they shot into the air). Those CM's were probably notified later that they were doing it wrong. It's a mistake I possibly would have made myself.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
I.M.Fearless said:
Okay, the only real PC change was, for a while the guns were gone. Then they came back. I'm not sure why. But, I'm pretty sure the proper procedure for the skipper is to shoot into the air. The couple of times before that they shot at the hippo were probably doing it wrong (I was there in November and every time they shot into the air). Those CM's were probably notified later that they were doing it wrong. It's a mistake I possibly would have made myself.

Or, they were older skippers, and they were doing it the old (aka right!) way.

bsandersjr

yeah. Shoot the hippos. Before you know it, a million kids will be running around shooting animals everywhere!
:lol: :lookaroun

DCA Fan

Usually at Disneyland, instead of saying that they're firing a "warning shot," they use the line, "Don't worry, I got the one hiding in the trees as well."

Magic Maker

DCA Fan said:
Usually at Disneyland, instead of saying that they're firing a "warning shot," they use the line, "Don't worry, I got the one hiding in the trees as well."

HA! Now THAT'S comedy :)

They brought back the guns as a "way to bring it closer to the original Disneyland version".

imagineersrock

mitchk said:
When I was on the Jungle cruise in Nov, the skippers had their guns back. I rode it twice and both times the skipper shot the hippo in front of the boat. Now, when I was there last week, I also rode it twice, and both time the skipper said he had to fire a warning shot to scare the hippos. Then he proceeded to shoot blindly into the air. What's the point of having the guns back? Also does anyone know if they plan to add the monkeys with guns and explosives scene to WDW jungle cruise like they did in DL? Oh, one more thing, when I was last there I got to ride the jungle cruise at night, and it is much more convincing. You really feel like you are in the jungle. I highly recommend you ride at night, if possible
Jungle cruise is great at night... Also, the additions at DL we're great, my family particularly enjoyed the pyrana chase scene; it is a simple but really neat/entertaining effect.

CThaddeus

Perhaps the best night joke I ever heard (at Disneyland, I doubt it would work as well at the Magic Kindgom) was when the boat reached the backside of Schweitzer Falls our skipper grabbed his spotlight and flashed it on and off against the falls. He then announced, "Ladies and gentlemen...Fantasmic!" It was completely unexpected and perhaps one of the best rides I've ever had. It's been done a few other times I've been on it, but that first time was hysterical.
The best trip I ever had on the Jungle Cruise was skippered by a guy who went by the name "Cleeve" at the Magic Kingdom back in 1996. So many great jokes (many of which I think he came up with), and such a great delivery. Whenever I have a rushed, lame skipper here in Anaheim, I pop in the video from the Disney World trip and wish they could all be like Cleeve ("If you thought this was bad, go check out the Tiki show. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss 20 minutes goodbye.")

WDWRLD

We rode the JC this summer at a EMH and laughed the entire time. The "Skipper" was from another country and didny speak very clear english. At some points you didnt even know what she was saying. The funniest part of the whole trip was when we came upon the rhinos but it sounded like she said wine-o. Everyone died laughing and couldnt stop for the rest of the cruise. Oh yea...she did fire the gun.....Not sure at what because like I said you couldnt understand her......mabee she shot a wine-o.

shmmrname

I'm fairly sure if you were to go on a Jungle Cruise in Africa and fire a gun indiscriminately at the same hippo, multiple times a minute, for an entire day, the authorities would say something; why shouldn't it be the same in the MK where it's AK neighbors actually hunt down poachers on it's ride(s).

I am workin The Jungle Cruise this monday from 3:15 to 11:45. IF anyone wants to come ride my boat feel free. Come to the exit and ask to ride Skipper Brians boat and they will be more than happy yo put you on! :)

disneywy

DCA Fan said:

This line isn't an "official" Jungle Cruise joke at Disneyland. The hippo scene at DL is much more limited in what the skippers are suppose to say than at WDW. Skippers shoot into the air to scare the hippos away so they don't charge the boat. With the guns back now it is odd to hear them being shot from Main Street and outside the park at DL.

At night is is a lot of fun, the elephant pool in DL has a new lighting set up to make it look like moonlight is coming down all over the scene. It is also a fun to hear everyone scream when the piranhas pop up.

octoberbarry

I rode the JC years ago at night and loved it. We'll be there this coming October, so our chance to ride it after dark will be during the Halloween Party. Does anyone know if it will be running during the Halloween parties?

Figment1986

Can WDW "borrow" a few new things from DL... the piranas and gorilla's section is brilliant... (thought i like shooting the one in the trees..) If i worked JC.. I would get fired for changing a few jokes.. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom