What's the deal with the Haunted Mansion?

Heppenheimer

My 10 year old is autistic and it's his favorite ride. It's private, you get your own doom buggy, it's dark and it's long. The experience feels very personal. I adore it. It reminds me of old Vincent Price movies.
In an alternate universe where Paul Frees was never born, Vincent Price would be my next choice for the Ghost Host.

RaveOnEd

My 10 year old is autistic and it's his favorite ride. It's private, you get your own doom buggy, it's dark and it's long. The experience feels very personal. I adore it. It reminds me of old Vincent Price movies.
Now that you mention it, YES! Especially some of the Poe adaptations he did, when there was a very close quarters feeling, very intimate and the heightening of the spookiness from that.

graphite1326

I would not say there is a cult following.

MANY people enjoy HM because its a fun dark ride and its CLASSIC.

There's also some nostalgia for me because as a child my mom, my one sister, and I would sit in a doom buggy and my other sister and dad would sit in the one behind us and my dad would always knock on the back of ours to "scare" us which we found fun not scary because my parents made sure we understood it was supposed to be a fun scary ride.

I have also always been in love with the ballroom scene.

And those freaky words "Hurry ba-ack, Hurry ba-ack, Don't forget your death certificate, we've been dying to have you" oh those words are music to my ears muahahaha.
I got stuck in that "hurry back" area. We had to listen to it for about 10 minutes. Probably more like 5 but it seemed longer. LOL still a great ride.

graphite1326

I always thought that Vincent Price should have been the narrator.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Haunted Mansion is old school, quintessential Disney. That's really what it boils down to. Like Pirates and Small World, it's a ride that you can fit into a specific place and time. It echoes classic Disney imagineering, story telling and detail. I was never a massive fan as a kid, but now going back as an adult, I can really appreciate just how special the attraction is for so many people. For a time, Walt Disney was going to be the ghost host before it went to Paul Frees. That's how tied into that time period it is.

Kind of like the Tiki Room. I'm an ardent fan of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room because it's Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room - and the same for Carousel of Progress. For me, these are more than rides or attractions - they're as close to Walt's vision as we can get.

Stellajack

Premium Member
Haunted Mansion is old school, quintessential Disney. That's really what it boils down to. Like Pirates and Small World, it's a ride that you can fit into a specific place and time. It echoes classic Disney imagineering, story telling and detail. I was never a massive fan as a kid, but now going back as an adult, I can really appreciate just how special the attraction is for so many people. For a time, Walt Disney was going to be the ghost host before it went to Paul Frees. That's how tied into that time period it is.

Kind of like the Tiki Room. I'm an ardent fan of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room because it's Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room - and the same for Carousel of Progress. For me, these are more than rides or attractions - they're as close to Walt's vision as we can get.

I love the Carousel of Progress! I first saw it in 1968 in Disneyland. It had been hailed as a "hit" at the 1964 World's Fair. I still enjoy it today, perhaps because it is so nostalgic for me. I find that so many things that intrigue visitors today seem to be those mindless activities.

Heppenheimer

I'm a 43 year old man and I can barely suppress tears of joy when I enter the Tiki Room.

Stellajack

Premium Member
I'm a 43 year old man and I can barely suppress tears of joy when I enter the Tiki Room.
Yet, even that innocent attraction for some unexplained reason can almost make the hairs stand up on your head when the 'tiki gods' are riled up!

KimAnnFran

I know that the Haunted Mansion is a cult favorite among many Disney fans but, my question is why? I have never understood the appeal and I'm interested to know why people love it so much. I'm not saying it's a bad ride, rather, I find that it just isn't for me. Let me know what ya'll think!
Classic ride, sometimes that gets people, I know it gets me.

disneymom57

The tiki room is a great place to take 5, very enjoyable show, everytime we go to disney my husband always has to see the tiki, tiki, tiki room

Daddyoh

Personally, I think we are forgetting that this is DISNEY ! childish fantasy fun nothing macabre here, just IMAGINATION and the enjoyment of fantasy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom