What's the deal with Ariel?

pilka214

Original Poster
So I popped into MK last night and happened to find myself on The Little Mermaid, which from it's conception hasn't won me over. But last night 3 or 4 of the major animatronics were just not working. First Scuttle, which i believe i've seen work once (ap preview), followed by the next two ariels, Part of your world ariel was moving her mouth, but not much else, and in Under the sea it appeared as if she was attempting to hide motionless behind the seaweed as to not be found by the singing fish.

How can an ride that's just a year old already be seeing problems like this? especially when across the park you've had an attraction that's been functioning for nearly 50? Is matinence just cutting corners? or was this new addition just done on a bit too much of a budget? I mean i hate seeing catwalks and lighting instruments in a showroom, just as much as i loathe seeing unthemed stairs and handrails.

WDWDad13

just a guess... but it's like most attraction and runs constant throughout each day... if an AA breaks/stops working during that day...they usually don't stop the attraction just to fix it

I was there for 2 weeks in December and road it twice in one day, the morning ariel was working, that evening she wasn't. The next morning she was again (my daughter loves ariel so that's why we were frequent riders haha)

It's sad to see things not working though I totally understand... but during my trip (not just on this ride, ex. haunted mansion ride along ghosts, buzz lightyear, etc.) I did notice a few things not working and then later were during my trip so at least they are doing some maintenance, how quick I don't know

Goofyernmost

I won't mention how back in the day this would constitute a 101 and maintainence would be all over it.
Yea, but we "elders" have to accept (really) that now is not back in the day. The world (Disney and otherwise) is much different then back in the day. Or at least we perceive it to be, so 101's are not immediate anymore because people are much less vocal about an AA not working, especially if they have never seen it before, but go bats*** when the ride isn't working. You and I think a ride down for emergency repair is a good thing... they do not.:(

WDWDad13

I won't mention how back in the day this would constitute a 101 and maintainence would be all over it.

Maybe so but back in the day there weren't as many people crowding the parks as well as angry people visiting guest relations if their ride is down lol

Personally I wouldn't think the dancing Ariel with the stupidly visible pole in her back not moving should constitute shutting the ride down

My favorite other than the yeti is the 90% never working angler fish in the nemo ride *sigh*

Soarin' Over Pgh

Someone on another thread just mentioned this issue.

That particular animatronic isn't very convincing when it's in a mode, let alone stationary. Oh dear.

Hopefully it's just a fluke thing and will get fixed soon.

Yeah, I know. But at least I'm trying to think positive.

pilka214

Original Poster
There is also a possibility an E Stop(s) occurred and the main AAs didn't reset. In the Orlando version an emmergency ride stop freezes the larger animation and it doesn't always come back online automatically.

This is what i'd like to hope happened. The ride did see have an E stop right before i boarded. hopefully this explains the awkward showing last night!

Sped2424

As I have mentioned scuttle is in need of some TLC already, at least the one in the queue.
tumblr_mzbgjxgrGB1rb3d4bo1_1280.jpg

Best I could do with my camera, but that little grey area on his beak is most certainty chipped. In person its more noticeable.

Scuttle

Yea, but we "elders" have to accept (really) that now is not back in the day. The world (Disney and otherwise) is much different then back in the day. Or at least we perceive it to be, so 101's are not immediate anymore because people are much less vocal about an AA not working, especially if they have never seen it before, but go bats*** when the ride isn't working. You and I think a ride down for emergency repair is a good thing... they do not.:(
But now is the internet era. You'd think now is the time they'd be fixing things on an hourly basis as there are constant recorded eyes on the rides and people can be more vocal than ever before (email). This is what makes this situation even worse. TDO simply doesn't give a damn. They are just counting heads, that we know.... Sad.

Jeffxz

Has anyone seen the operations guide for this ride? I remember seeing an older copy of the POC guide and it had a section that specifically outlined which AAs would force the ride to 101.

Do they even add those sections to the guides anymore?

Goofyernmost

But now is the internet era. You'd think now is the time they'd be fixing things on an hourly basis as there are constant recorded eyes on the rides and people can be more vocal than ever before (email). This is what makes this situation even worse. TDO simply doesn't give a damn. They are just counting heads, that we know.... Sad.
I agree but please keep in mind that we are but a small number of people who care enough about Disney Theme Parks to obsess over AA's not working or, for that matter, even know that they should be. We sit here in our warm little cocoon of like thinking people thinking we have some power. Reality check time... we do not!

TheHodge

I mentioned this on that day to a technical looking cast member as we left the ride and he gave us some fast passes and said they were going to look into.. we walked back about an hour later and the ride was shut down for maintenance so I'm guessing they looked into it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom