What's new?

Disneykidder

Original Poster
So, in reading posts from people on facebook and on DVCnews, they said that at the last condo meting, DVC big wigs said that there are new perks coming this year. Someone mentioned a dining perk and something big that is planned. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about this? I wonder what they could be, if anything at all?

If I can put in my request, I would love some sort of dining perk, like buy 5 days get 3 days or something that is actually worth it for us, other that TIW. I would also love more resort specific items that can be purchased directly from the member site. What additional perks would you like to see?

BTW, I am not complaining...I am just curious, that's all. I LOVE being a DVC member.:p

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Maybe they'll be trying the member preview for Dwarf, like they tried for BoG and the partial Grand Opening of FLE.

tjkraz

The one thing you can count on happening is more synergy between DVC and Adventures by Disney & Disney Cruise Line. Karl Holz oversees all of those divisions (including DVC) and these options are apparently very popular with a certain segment of the membership. Using points for cruises remains very popular. The exclusive member cruises sell-out regularly and I've heard the exclusive AbD itineraries have been known to fill-up within a few hours.

They'll continue to create "exclusive" offers for DVC members, often falling during periods when tourism is otherwise down...when DCL and AbD would naturally struggle to fill offerings available to the general public. And DVC will promote the heck out of these things.

I also think we may see growth in other non-DVC trades which DVC arranges through its Buena Vista Travel Company.

People often wonder if (when) DVC will impose additional restrictions on resale buyers. This is one way they can organically make direct purchases more attractive without actually imposing more restrictions: add value to the Concierge Collection, Adventurer Collection and Disney Collection from which resale buyers are already barred.

Of course, the economics of these non-DVC destinations are another topic altogether. Like I said, they continue to be popular with members so SOMEONE is using their points to book these things.

There was vague mention of ticket and dining discounts but no specifics. Not even an estimated timeframe. IMO, if people are expecting something on par with the $399 PAP to become a permanent offering, they're headed for disappointment.

It's nice to see DVC at least giving lip service to its...appreciation (?)...of DVC members, but they have virtually no track record of providing said benefits. Don't get me wrong...the DVC perks we have now are decent and they're better today than when we purchased 10+ years ago.

But I just cannot comprehend Disney doling out ticket or dining plan discounts which would save members any significant money during each trip. There are now around 3500 DVC villas at WDW alone. If new perks--of some substance--are introduced, they could cost Disney tens-of-thousands of dollars per day.

For what? To make DVC owners feel more appreciated? I'll believe it when I see it.

tjkraz

How about paying for our annual passes monthly!

Open your own vacation savings account and have 1/12 of the funds you need to buy APs swept into that account each month. The money will be ready and waiting when it's time to buy, and you'll earn a little interest along the way.

Problem solved.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I noticed when I got my annual statement today that my dues have finally broken the $100/month mark...that's not a happy landmark.

I wish they'd return to the days of giving members a discount in length of stay passes. In addition to the great discount on APs they already offer.

tjkraz

I wish they'd return to the days of giving members a discount in length of stay passes. In addition to the great discount on APs they already offer.

Back around 2003 when we first joined, the Length-of-Stay ticket discount was nothing to get excited about. Member could save 10% off the LOS passes. However, we had to wait until arrival to buy those discounted passes.
At the same time, Disney offered discounts of about the same amount to anyone who purchased tickets PRIOR to arrival.

So basically the main benefit to DVC owners was that you could wait until arrival to buy rather than buying 48 hours in advance as the general public had to do in order to get the same price. The one other benefit was that resorts would usually allow members to drop either the arrival day or departure day from their "length of stay" pass. That would make the ticket price a little smaller...but you also lost a day at the parks. (The general public LOS tickets were required to cover arrival day through departure day.)

I certain circumstances there was a bit of savings--usually those with late arrivals or early departures who could drop that one day. But I don't think most owners saved anything at all with that "discount."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If they were smart they would offer something like 10% off the price of either length of stay park tickets or DDP or more likely both. The point of the discounts is to get DVC members to actually use their DVC rooms to visit the Disney parks. I think even a token discount like that would have a big impact without costing too much. Especially with DDP where they are already making a pretty healthy profit.

tjkraz

If they were smart they would offer something like 10% off the price of either length of stay park tickets or DDP or more likely both. The point of the discounts is to get DVC members to actually use their DVC rooms to visit the Disney parks. I think even a token discount like that would have a big impact without costing too much. Especially with DDP where they are already making a pretty healthy profit.

I dunno. I tend to take the POV that if Disney believed ticket discounts would lead to much higher guest spending, they'd discount for everyone.

Every day there are thousands of members paying full price for MYW tickets and DDP. By offering a discount, Disney is accepting a lower profit margin on all of those people ready, willing and able to pay full price...hoping that the added sales will cover the write-offs. I'm just not convinced that would happen.

Even with the $399 PAP offer, many people have stated that they took more trips and "spent more money" thanks to the discount. But I'm skeptical. What most people seemed to do was borrow their points from future years and simply accelerate point usage. Instead of 1 trip per calendar year, some used borrowing to cram 3+ trips into the 365 day period over which their PAPs were valid.

If not for the $399 PAP offer, I suspect most owners would have used the same number of DVC points over a longer period of time, buying more expensive tickets along the way while still spending similar dollars on food, souvenirs, etc. It just seemed like they "spent more" because of the higher ancillary expenses (travel, food, etc.) associated with those added vacations.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I dunno. I tend to take the POV that if Disney believed ticket discounts would lead to much higher guest spending, they'd discount for everyone.

Every day there are thousands of members paying full price for MYW tickets and DDP. By offering a discount, Disney is accepting a lower profit margin on all of those people ready, willing and able to pay full price...hoping that the added sales will cover the write-offs. I'm just not convinced that would happen.

Even with the $399 PAP offer, many people have stated that they took more trips and "spent more money" thanks to the discount. But I'm skeptical. What most people seemed to do was borrow their points from future years and simply accelerate point usage. Instead of 1 trip per calendar year, some used borrowing to cram 3+ trips into the 365 day period over which their PAPs were valid.

If not for the $399 PAP offer, I suspect most owners would have used the same number of DVC points over a longer period of time, buying more expensive tickets along the way while still spending similar dollars on food, souvenirs, etc. It just seemed like they "spent more" because of the higher ancillary expenses (travel, food, etc.) associated with those added vacations.
I agree. It's hard to quantify the gains (if any). One theory lately has been that DVC owners were using the resorts as a base to visit other Orlando attractions so they offered the $399 PAP. If Disney wants to keep these people on property longer I think offering a discounted dining plan might help. If I get what I perceive as a good deal and buy the DDP then I'm less likely to eat off property and probably less likely to leave the property as much.

tjkraz

I agree. It's hard to quantify the gains (if any). One theory lately has been that DVC owners were using the resorts as a base to visit other Orlando attractions so they offered the $399 PAP. If Disney wants to keep these people on property longer I think offering a discounted dining plan might help. If I get what I perceive as a good deal and buy the DDP then I'm less likely to eat off property and probably less likely to leave the property as much.

Possibly. But I still believe most DVC members are the type to immerse themselves in the "Disney magic." And Disney's fighting an uphill battle when all villas have a kitchen or kitchenette. Off-site restaurants aren't as much of a threat as that refrigerator & stove.
Admittedly it's hard for me to gauge the habits of hundreds-of-thousands of members. Personally, the most elaborate off-site meal we've ever had in Orlando was at Shoney's as we drove into town. Even when we have a car available--which isn't always--I've never seen the appeal of fighting traffic in and out of the Disney resort area just to save a few bucks on a meal. Are there really a significant number of members who do that over and over again during their stays?

Regardless, I have a slightly different take on the PAP offer. Notice how the timing came about 6 months before the Grand Floridian went on sale. My sense is that the reasons for the PAP discount were twofold:

1) Get members feeling good about DVC. Many folks I encounter on-line seem to be very cynical and jaded, suggesting that Disney doesn't do enough to show appreciation for their business.

Nothing like a $300 discount on an Annual Pass to get people feeling good about DVC again. When people feel good about DVC, they sing its praises to friends & family and even consider a somewhat nonsensical add-on at $150 per point. ;)

2) Help members exhaust their point supply just before the GF goes on sale. As I said earlier, anecdotal evidence suggest there was a dramatic rise in point borrowing as members rushed to cram trips under their PAPs. Suddenly it's late-2013 or 2014 and people start to get the itch. But they're still borrowed to the hilt. Well, as luck would have it, DVC suddenly has the bright, shiny Grand Floridian ready for purchase. Funny how that works. :)

Granted, DVC could benefit consistently benefit from member goodwill if an offer like this becomes permanent. But I question whether Disney is willing to absorb such a loss going forward just to keep people happy. (And those happy feelings would also fade over time as the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome reappears.)

My expectations are low. Some modest discount (say, $3-4 per day) on the DDP and MYW tickets wouldn't cost them much. They Disneyland AP discounts are virtually nonexistent now.

I'd love to be wrong and see DVC really knock one out of the park. Time will tell.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I would have to agree with Tim on most of this. We purchased the $399 PAP, but did not borrow any points, or take more than the 3 trips we take anyway. We just used it as a discount off the regular AP price, which we get every year for our trips. Of course, we might be an exception in that, even though we usually get a 1 bdr (even if only my DW and I), we don't cook in the room at all, don't rent a car, and don't go off-site. We definitely immerse ourselves in Disney when we are there. We never do the DDP, and actually wish Disney would either change the program, or do away with it. I think Disney made a big mistake by offering the highest priced meals (such as a filet mignon) at a restaurant as part of the DDP without an upcharge. Sure, let them get the sirloin, but if you want the higher end, it's an upcharge. That way, restaurant managers would not have had to downgrade the quality, or do away with certain items altogether, in order to meet their numbers.

Anyway, we would certainly take advantage of certain perks and discounts if offered, but we aren't expecting anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom