What's going to happen with Annual Passes?

durangojim

We go every year, often more than once a year. It was really worth it to renew.

Though in 2020, we got them to cancel our renewal and bought new the day they stopped selling. I was so darn lucky on that. Sat on those new for a year....

This stupid park reservation has it harder but at the same time could save us some $$$$$ if renewing early. I just don't look forward to looong waits on the phone.
We spend somewhere around 30 days a year at WDW. We’ve been AP holders every year for at least the past 10 years and intermittently before that. Every time they raise prices I think that I won’t renew but as much as we go it still makes sense especially when I factor in hotel discounts. At some point it won’t anymore but I don’t know when that will be. Probably if they no longer offer resort, merch, and dining discounts anymore.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
If you're staying at a Disney resort you can book park passes for the length of stay if you have an AP. The issue is for someone like myself that doesn't stay on property.

What's your way around this?
If you are staying off property you can reserve as many days as you have tickets linked to your MDE account.

correcaminos

We spend somewhere around 30 days a year at WDW. We’ve been AP holders every year for at least the past 10 years and intermittently before that. Every time they raise prices I think that I won’t renew but as much as we go it still makes sense especially when I factor in hotel discounts. At some point it won’t anymore but I don’t know when that will be. Probably if they no longer offer resort, merch, and dining discounts anymore.
I actually get no use out of the discounts with DVC but I am able to do Gold AP to make up for that. When we all stop enjoying it, I'll cancel and sell DVC or rent it out. Until then they've got me. Our last trip was so worth it to all. Even though park hours and passes annoyed me, it was great in the end.

lightguy

oh that was part of the thinking.

rooms = reservations is half of it.

the other is offer the traditional Florida passes at discount with 1 or 2 reservation cap. Avoids food and wine “flooding” etc….and cap Florida rates to just that kinda limit

but here’s how you bridge the DVC gap…Jack the prices of the standard/premium (platinum…or whatever the hell?) to say $1599…but do a $1199 DVC price. And have a large reservation cap.

which means if you are Florida AND DVC….you get that discount rates (because you use or rent the rooms and contribute to the till) and the open/easy reservations. There are a lot of Florida DVC members that doesn’t get mentioned much.

off property I would have to buy a higher rate…I don’t know how to balance that. But if I’m Disney I’m trying not too. They live off property business but they can’t officially acknowledge that while they’re trying to sling timeshares.

that kind a situation solves a lot of the bottleneck/blocking problem…and drives sales upward.
If they aren't going to drastically increase park ticket prices (god knows they are already ridiculous), then they have to watch what they do with AP prices at WDW. In my view, the "unlimited" pass can't be more than right around the cost of two 7 night park hoppers. A lot of people buy them to get in a 2nd (and maybe a 3rd) trip, but if it's cheaper to just buy tickets for two trips, most people will skip the AP as soon as they see it's more. And you're way more likely to take that second trip if you already bought an AP then if you didn't and it's just an idea. Also, if it's cheaper to just buy tickets, then I might be inclined to spend one of those trips at Universal and hit sea world, but probably not if I've got an AP.

matt9112

If they aren't going to drastically increase park ticket prices (god knows they are already ridiculous), then they have to watch what they do with AP prices at WDW. In my view, the "unlimited" pass can't be more than right around the cost of two 7 night park hoppers. A lot of people buy them to get in a 2nd (and maybe a 3rd) trip, but if it's cheaper to just buy tickets for two trips, most people will skip the AP as soon as they see it's more. And you're way more likely to take that second trip if you already bought an AP then if you didn't and it's just an idea. Also, if it's cheaper to just buy tickets, then I might be inclined to spend one of those trips at Universal and hit sea world, but probably not if I've got an AP.

If your rich enough to come to disney for multiple weeks a year you will still come if you want to. Just because you cant save money anymore wont chamge that.

I dont think credit card visitors are the ones coming for weeks and weeks.

fgmnt

oh that was part of the thinking.

rooms = reservations is half of it.

the other is offer the traditional Florida passes at discount with 1 or 2 reservation cap. Avoids food and wine “flooding” etc….and cap Florida rates to just that kinda limit

but here’s how you bridge the DVC gap…Jack the prices of the standard/premium (platinum…or whatever the hell?) to say $1599…but do a $1199 DVC price. And have a large reservation cap.

which means if you are Florida AND DVC….you get that discount rates (because you use or rent the rooms and contribute to the till) and the open/easy reservations. There are a lot of Florida DVC members that doesn’t get mentioned much.

off property I would have to buy a higher rate…I don’t know how to balance that. But if I’m Disney I’m trying not too. They live off property business but they can’t officially acknowledge that while they’re trying to sling timeshares.

that kind a situation solves a lot of the bottleneck/blocking problem…and drives sales upward.
This is all what the Disneyland news has me expecting for WDW. All of the lower tier passes get a reservation cap rule. Maybe even gold, since the only out of state availability is DVC and staying onsite guarantees you entry.

I don't think the $180k income families from Connecticut are going to abide by the top pass having any limit to it, but it will be more expensive than ever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Universal's prices did increase AP prices back in April.

If WDW would offer a pass for non-residents with some blackout dates, I'd be all over it just like I am for Universal.

I'm not the typical customer, but the Disneyland Flex pass was worth it for one year and I visited the resort three times in that span (and would've squeezed in a 4th if not for COVID). None of these passes are worth it for out-of-state people, and therefore I'll probably only visit once per year now.
Sadly…since the base passes aren’t priced the same way - as in the pet day cost really doesn’t drop until you get to day 5/6 - the passes are a better deal for out of state quickly.

when I get them…we go 2-4 times for somewhere between 6-8 days…

so I am “in the black” halfway through the second go….sadly

deix15x8

If your rich enough to come to disney for multiple weeks a year you will still come if you want to. Just because you cant save money anymore wont chamge that.

I dont think credit card visitors are the ones coming for weeks and weeks.
Not true for many, an AP can be the difference between Disney and somewhere else. I bought an AP for a 9 night fall 2017 trip knowing I was going to the Daytona 500 in February. The cost of upgrading to an AP was worth it to get the photos and led me to add 2 DVC nights before heading to Daytona and a 3 more day trips back to the parks for the festival of the arts. Prior to that we had intended to go to Universal Studios instead since it was closer to the hotel we had in Sanford. We also had a cruise in Fall 2018 and since it was close to Thanksgiving flights were a fortune, because we had an AP we ended up paying cash to get 5 nights at Disney (cheaper flight on Monday and cost of hotel balanced out a bit, tickets would have ruled it out) and then drove to Miami.
This year I have a big WDW trip booked and can only get 10 days in the parks. When APs are available I will upgrade to get the extra days. I have a cruise in April though and we've already decided that if we get an AP (and DVC unlocks my 50% borrowing) we will go to Disney World to see the flower and garden festival, otherwise we will consider Universal (never been), but most likely will remain in Miami.
Having an AP doesn't make me take extra vacations, but it does cause me to spend more money with Disney than I otherwise would have ever considered if each trip required a fresh ticket. Under 7 nights just doesn't seem worth the price of a new ticket and a trip of that long is an intentional WDW trip, not an add on or side trip.

nickys

Premium Member
This is all what the Disneyland news has me expecting for WDW. All of the lower tier passes get a reservation cap rule. Maybe even gold, since the only out of state availability is DVC and staying onsite guarantees you entry.
Will staying onsite guarantee you entry though? I know it does now, but will they change it?

I certainly hope not, it would be a catastrophic move IMO. But I don’t see anything in the small print on the DL Magic Keys about that, it looks to me like if you are a SoCal resident you can only hold two park reservations period. Is there a “length of stay” clause for DL? That is certainly a worry for some DVC members already, until they actually go on sale and all the details are revealed.

Jon81uk

Will staying onsite guarantee you entry though? I know it does now, but will they change it?

I certainly hope not, it would be a catastrophic move IMO. But I don’t see anything in the small print on the DL Magic Keys about that, it looks to me like if you are a SoCal resident you can only hold two park reservations period. Is there a “length of stay” clause for DL? That is certainly a worry for some DVC members already, until they actually go on sale and all the details are revealed.
Only the cheapest pass has the two reservation limit. Next up is four reservations and top two passes are six.

nickys

Premium Member
Only the cheapest pass has the two reservation limit. Next up is four reservations and top two passes are six.
Right, but there is nothing about a length of stay. I know people stay at DL for less time but I would have thought a SoCal resident with the cheapest pass might stay 2 nights and so want 3 days of park reservations. Can they do that if staying onsite?

Same would apply to WDW. The Gold pass is the one that out of state DVC members and FL residents can buy. Imagine if they are limited to say 3 park reservations, like at present, but there is no length of stay option.

Jon81uk

Right, but there is nothing about a length of stay. I know people stay at DL for less time but I would have thought a SoCal resident with the cheapest pass might stay 2 nights and so want 3 days of park reservations. Can they do that if staying onsite?

Same would apply to WDW. The Gold pass is the one that out of state DVC members and FL residents can buy. Imagine if they are limited to say 3 park reservations, like at present, but there is no length of stay option.

My guess is that they might add something for those who are booked to stay in a Disney owned hotel to get length of stay access at Disneyland too, but realistically I don't think there will be many people at all with the cheap SoCal only pass staying at a Disney owned hotel, unless they have DVC.
They are either going to be local enough that they don't need the overnight stay, or they would pick somewhere cheaper to stay as there are so many non-Disney hotels within walking distance.
Even for DVC I don't think there will be that many people who are both SoCal residents and DVC members that its a major concern, they can just pay the extra $250 for the next pass up and have fewer blackout dates too. The Imagine key only has at most four consecutive days of access anyway and all weekends are blocked.

Kingoglow

But that's just it. They only get so many reservations at a time.

If you say, get the $900 tier, you get 6 "reservation holds" you can use at once. What if you can only get them several weeks or more out?

Until there is real information about how available these reservations are going to be, it's completely impossible to tell how much "value" one can get out of a year pass, because you have no idea how many times you will actually be able to schedule a visit during that year.
I was trying to provide an example of why the old AP system (think 2019) needs to change. I wasn't trying to layout math on what value a new system (with park reservations) provides.

Kingoglow

They can move the Platinum AP up to the new Disneyland price, $1,399 (I believe); I don't know how they would add park reservations to out-of-state visitors unless it is a big number of days. But really I think they have to up the price on Florida passes. A $100-$200 increase each pass tier (or $8.33 - $16.66. month) plus park reservations. All of this will help alleviate some of the crowds.

matt9112

They can move the Platinum AP up to the new Disneyland price, $1,399 (I believe); I don't know how they would add park reservations to out-of-state visitors unless it is a big number of days. But really I think they have to up the price on Florida passes. A $100-$200 increase each pass tier (or $8.33 - $16.66. month) plus park reservations. All of this will help alleviate some of the crowds.

I think you spelled keep the peasants out wrong.

disneygeek90

I should know this but I usually just go to guest services at Springs to renew. If I renew at a park, does it have to be guest relations or the normal ticket windows?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom