Whatever: A Wacky Family Trip Report :D

Whatever!

After three years of visiting the World one-on-one with my sons, it was finally time for the whole family to go together for six days o’ fun. I had recently introduced the boys to the sock puppet/punk classic song “United States of Whatever” from the short-lived MTV series “Sifl and Olly”, and that song became the anthem for the trip. We played it over and over in the rental van.

The trip featured me, my lovely, talented, and sainted wife, and our bevy of boys (Tom – 16, Jack – 13, Mike – 11). You may remember the boys from their trips with me documented in the bestselling threads:

Somehow, the best airfares were flying American. I know, I know, I couldn’t believe it, either. We packed the day before, weighed the checked baggage, and took one last obsessive look at my planning spreadsheets (actually, that was just me, my wife is normal).

The next day we caught an early flight to Tampa, as airfares to Orlando were somewhere between unbelievable and unconscionable. We grabbed our bags and our rental van, which came complete with a CD presumably left over from the previous renter that was hand-labeled “Music Favorites 2.” Let’s just say that “Music Favorites 1” must have had upwards of 500,000 songs.

We needed lunch on the trek to Orlando. Someone spotted a Cracker Barrel sign, so we exited the expressway in Lakeland down Socrum Loop Road (which prompted the juveniles in the back of the van to giggle). After lunch, we made one more stop for groceries then pulled into the Caribbean Beach Resort. Another family arrived at the same time and led their blindfolded daughter from the car to the lobby. A CM removed her blindfold, and she looked kinda stunned when she discovered she was in WDW. I was expecting more of an excited look, but then again, she was a teenager and was likely peeved that her stupid ‘rents had denied her the joy of the planning and anticipation of the trip. Whatever, my boys were quite excited to get to their room:

p1010024-resized.jpg

"The two clowns behind me may be older, but it’s pretty clear who’s cooler."

GenerationX

Original Poster
I went down to the beach and saw Kiki
She was all like, "Ehhhh"
And I'm, like, "Whatever!"

WDW was pegged at near full capacity on arrival day. The AK was open until 8:00pm on a non-EMH night, and we figured that would be a good spot to get a couple of hours of touring in. We parked in the first non-CM, non-handicap row and walked to the park entrance. A departing guest asked us if we were on the way in and wanted Expedition:Everest FPs. Sold! Interestingly, we didn’t need them. Despite the overall resort crowd, Kilimanjaro Safaris, E:E, and Festival of the Lion King were all walk-ons. Seriously. I don’t think we’ll ever tour AK in the morning again. Tom and Mike rode E:E three straight times with no waiting in-between (the rest of us were happy with one or two rides). We closed the day with the Festival of the Lion King – still an awesome show – and headed back.

The next day was almost non-stop rain (whatever), which made no difference to us. I did notice we ate fewer Mickey bars with the rain, though. I had explained the absolute joy of park open to my wife, and she agreed to go to DHS early. We joined the stampede to Toy Story Mania (Disney’s sanitized version of Pamplona’s running of the bulls), got FPs, and jumped in line:

p1010060-resized.jpg

"You know what’s always funny? Rabbit ears!"

GenerationX

Original Poster
Then this chick comes up to me and she's all like,
"Hey, aren't you that dude?"
And I'm like, "Yeah, whatever!"

The Toy Story Mania battle was won by the youngest member of the group, Mike, which shows how old my wife and I are getting. Whatever, at least my wife and I had excuses. Tom and Jack, on the other hand, were “totally pwned” and heard about it until our next ride on TSM, where Tom and Jack cleaned Mike’s clock. Between TSM battles, we snuck in some Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster:

p1010073-resized.jpg

"Quick, Jack, take the shot before your brother gets his damn fingers over our heads."

p1010074-resized.jpg

"Cool"

GenerationX

Original Poster
So later I'm at the pool hall
And this girl comes up
And she's all like, "Awww"
And I'm like, "Yeah, whatever!"

We went back to the Caribbean Beach for a mid-day break of Professor Layton DS games and the arcade. We had ADRs at Boma, which can only mean one thing:

p1010091-resized.jpg

*Obligatory Food Shot*

Boma has the best food on property, and we thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. My wife was done for the night, but the boys wanted to go to Disney Quest, so that’s where we went. While I found Berzerk and Defender on some retro machines (whatever), the boys, or should I say Mike, crushed the competition at the Mighty Ducks Pinball Game. Mike and Jack eventually found their way to a Trivia game, where they were “chatted up” by the two girls sitting next to them:

p1010103-resized.jpg

”Boys! At least pretend to care about what the girls are saying … if for no other reason than it’s good practice.”

GenerationX

Original Poster
’Cause this is my United States of Whatever
And this is my United States of Whatever
And this is my United States of Whatever!

We’re only two days into this, and my wife is already sporting a huge blister:

p1010107-resized.jpg

”Almost a Hidden Mickey, but he’s missing an ear. Eh, walk on it some more.”

With my wife’s foot in bad shape, we did what every family does – we gleefully gathered around for the lancing, squeezing, soaking, and wrapping. This minor setback didn’t stop us from hitting Epcot the next morning at park open:

p1010115-resized.jpg

”Any chance we’ll be Soarin’ over U.S. Cellular Field?”

Soarin’ is one of my wife’s favorite attractions. We waited an extra cycle so that we could be in the first row. Definitely worth it. We watched the Jammitors and Ellen’s Energy Adventure. The film actually broke down at the end and prevented us from seeing the last 90 seconds of the attraction, so we’ll never know what the Final Jeopardy answer was or who won the game. Hopefully, we’ll catch it on reruns. Always on the move, we took one last peek at the Flower and Garden Festival topiaries and headed out:

p1010121-resized.jpg

”F&G Fest? Wow, this trip report is crazy late!”

GenerationX

Original Poster
And then it's 3:00a.m.
I'm on the corner, wearing my leather.
This dude comes up and he's like, "Hey, punk!"
I'm like, "Yeah, whatever!"

We took our mid-day break at Typhoon Lagoon (a.k.a. The Greatest Waterpark on the Planet), and what a fortuitous decision that was. The park was practically empty! We had almost no waits for the big slides, the Shark Reef, and Crush ‘n’ Gusher. But the main attraction at Typhoon Lagoon is, of course, the gourmet cuisine at Typhoon Tilly’s. As if! No, the wave pool rules all … except Mike:

p1010133-resized.jpg

”Bring it.”

After several hours at the waterpark, we were all hungry. Fortunately, we had ADRs at one of our favorite family restaurants, the Cape May Café. We stuffed ourselves with fabulous crab legs, clams, and mussels. I’d say that it was a really nice clam bake, but that would be delving into showtune waters (*shudder*). We decided to wander around the grounds and found the telescope:

p1010160-resized.jpg

”You’ve been looking in there for an HOUR.”

We wandered over to Epcot for a couple of rides, including Mission: Space (we feared the smell of vomited seafood would be indescribably horrific, so we opted for the wimpy team). Illuminations is still the best evening show on property and even better when you find a good viewing spot less than 10 minutes before showtime. It was at a vendor’s tent in Canada that had a two-foot gap between the edge of the tent and the World Showcase Lagoon. This turned out to be a primo spot.

GenerationX

Original Poster
Then I'm throwing dice in the alley
Officer Leroy comes up and he's like,
"Hey, I thought I told you ..."
And I'm like, "yeah, whatever!"

So, the next morning we’re out early for Mickey waffles at the Caribbean Beach:

p1010144-resized.jpg

p1010177-resized.jpg

”Okay, okay, we’ll give you one fairly straight picture. But that’s it.”

I didn’t get the CM’s name, but on the way to the food court, I saw a custodial CM. He was happily and meticulously cleaning a garbage can from top to bottom. I regret not getting his name for the Cast Member Appreciation forum.

We headed to Blizzard Beach for park open. We were there early enough to be the first ones in, and my sons were the first ones on the ski lift. Thus, of course, they were the first ones down Summit Plummet:

p1010186-resized.jpg

Tom: “Cool.” Jack and Mike (off to the right): “You said it … now hurry up we need to get back in line!”

GenerationX

Original Poster
omg sounds like ure a fun dad,loving your report so far:wave:
It's easy to let the kid in me out in WDW!

Fun read! Ouch on that blister. How does anyone walk on such?
Thanks, sweetpee! Ya know, after you drain the blister, wrap it with moleskin, and put on comfortable shoes, you can't see it anymore. Problem solved! Actually, it's still kind of painful, but bearable. We used a lot of moleskin to cushion it.

GenerationX

Original Poster
And then up comes Zafo
I'm like, "Yo, Zafo. What's up?"
He's like, "Nothin'"
And I'm, like, "That's cool."

After a bunch of fun body slides and toboggan races (where somehow, despite my weight advantage, I lost), it was time to finally go to the Magic Kingdom. The park was mobbed, and I decided that if there can be a “Rent Is Too Damn High” party, there should be a “Lines Are Too Damn Long” party. Whatever, we got our requisite FastPasses and headed to one of our old favorites, the TTA:

p1010198-resized.jpg

“What happened to the narration? Downgrade!!”

Tom was in fact disappointed in the narration change and has written Disney about it. I tend to agree with him, as this is the one recent update that is unquestionably less entertaining than what was previously in place.

On the other hand, we were all – Tom included – excited to ride the ever-so-slightly-upgraded Space Mountain. While the right side wasn’t much darker than before (I think there are light leaks around the TTA), the left side restores the ride to its near-pitch black glory. We loved it.

The Pooh queue looked cool, though the kids are too old and the line was too damn long to make it worth the wait. The Haunted Mansion, though, had a very reasonable 13 minute wait. The boys got a big kick out of the new interactive queue area:

p1010211_resized.jpg

p1010207-resized.jpg

“Anyone know the Monster Mash? I hear it’s a graveyard smash.”

GenerationX

Original Poster
’Cause this is my United States of Whatever
And this is my United States of Whatever
And this is my United States of Whatever!

It got late, and the steady onslaught of walking and Mickey bars took its toll on my wife and oldest sons, who headed back to the resort. Mike and I, the indefatigable, stayed for more rides. We had several no-wait trips down Splash Mountain, which apparently weren't supposed to be fun because so much stuff in the attraction wasn't working. Luckily, Mike and I amuse easily.

We made our way on foot (but not my wife's) back to Tomorrowland. The line for Buzz was fairly short so we decided to go on it. We ended up behind a newbie family of four. Mike (the Jedi Master) enjoyed explaining the mechanics of the ride to the young padawans. Meanwhile, I started to get the impression the dad was something of a braggart. We got to the loading area and the mom and daughter paused for something, so we ended up in a star cruiser between the two sections of the family.

p1010223_resized.jpg

"Check out that snappy Eeyore autograph on the cap!"

We turned our star cruiser backward for the 100,000 point target and, since that position allowed us to easily communicate with the mom and daughter, instructed them to do the same. As we finished the ride, the dad was already crowing about his 175,000 point score and how great that was, especially since it was his first time. He proudly repeated the score again as the mom and daughter pulled in … and was shocked to hear the mom finished with 245,000 points! He could not believe she’d beaten him and actually asked her if she was sure that was her real score. She just said yes, and he went back to bragging about his score. We could still hear him yammering about scores as we left the unloading area.

I don't remember what our scores were (and I forgot to write them down); I do remember that the academy did not revoke our space ranger licenses. So, we've got that going for us.

GenerationX

Original Poster
Whatever!

Last full day in WDW. It was raining (whatever), but tolerable. My wife MacGyver’ed a way to keep the cheapo rain poncho hoods from falling off our heads using little hair clip thingies under our chins. This turned out to be the greatest Disney touring invention since FastPass.

With poncho hoods securely fastened, we splashed a trail to DS at park open. This time, we skipped the day-after-Thanksgiving door-busting trample-fest that is the TSM Shuffle and went instead for Tower of Terror and Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster:

p1010229-resized.jpg

”If you can’t tell which queue we’re in, you’ll need to leave your Disney Fancard at the door.”

p1010236-resized.jpg

”I didn’t catch when this film would be released, but you may see us as extras!”

GenerationX

Original Poster
After a fabulous lunch at Mama Melrose’s (they custom-made a delicious Linguini Fra Diavolo for me, even though it had been off the menu over a year!), we headed to the funniest attraction on property, Muppetvision.

p1010244-resized.jpg

Heh.

The rain was still coming down, though much heavier, and we finally left DS. We headed to DQ, which was beyond crowded and nearing clown car. Jack and Mike plowed their way through to the Trivia game.

p1010251-resized.jpg

”He can celebrate this trivial victory all he wants, but again, we all know who’s cooler.”

At this point, Tom and Mom had had enough, but Jack, Mike, and I had not (of course). We dropped Tom and Mom at the resort before heading back to DS. RnRC broke down while we were waiting in line, so we received FPs good for the next two weeks. Luckily, the ride was back up about a half an hour later. We wisely ducked out of the park just before Fantasmic! finished.

GenerationX

Original Poster
Our final day was wide open on the schedule, so we voted on what to redo before heading to Tampa.

With 8 choices (4 theme parks, 2 water parks, 1 arcade, and McDonald’s Playland), we determined our collective favorite park was Typhoon Lagoon. It was a perfect weather day, and we loved having a few final hours of Disney magic before hitting the road.

My wife wanted the boys to see the Gulf of Mexico, so we drove through Tampa to Clearwater Beach. There’s a point on a bridge heading into Clearwater where you get a stunning view of the Gulf. Well, you don’t, because I didn’t get a picture of it. But I did, and wow it was wonderful. The boys enjoyed swimming at Clearwater Beach, too:

p1010265-resized.jpg

p1010270-resized.jpg

That was our last bit of fun before flying back to Chicago. We got home around midnight, exhausted and happy. With our 25th wedding anniversary coming up next year, we’re thinking about a Disney Cruise next summer. Here’s hoping everything falls into place for that. :)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Fun trip report. I asked my wife and she said that she wouldn't allow me to post pics of her blister. :lol:

You'll be happy to know that even though I'm a Cubs fan, we went to a game at the Cell and my son like it better due to all it's modern amenities. It also happened to be the game Jim Thome hit his 500th so he got a JT bobble head, saw the fireworks, etc. and thinks he's the best player of all time.

I may force my kids to go onto Pooh when they're older (6 and 8 now). The queue is hella fun.

On our last trip our 7 year old at the time scored a cool 801,100 on Buzz. Don't know how your uber competitive dad would've handled that.

nc_disneyfreak

what a great trip

you guys (and gal) had a great trip! really good trip report..so how many days were you all there? looking forward to the next report!

GenerationX

Original Poster
Fun trip report. I asked my wife and she said that she wouldn't allow me to post pics of her blister. :lol:

You'll be happy to know that even though I'm a Cubs fan, we went to a game at the Cell and my son like it better due to all it's modern amenities. It also happened to be the game Jim Thome hit his 500th so he got a JT bobble head, saw the fireworks, etc. and thinks he's the best player of all time.

I may force my kids to go onto Pooh when they're older (6 and 8 now). The queue is hella fun.

On our last trip our 7 year old at the time scored a cool 801,100 on Buzz. Don't know how your uber competitive dad would've handled that.
Hey, ASJHLJ, thanks for the comments. Both the Sox and Cubs have been rather disappointing this year (to say the least!). Whatever, my boys love going to The Cell, too.

801,100 on Buzz? WOW, the only time I've beaten that was when the ride stopped for two minutes, and I maxed it out at 999,999. Your son has a real future in video games!

I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report! Short, sweet and entertaining. BTW "fortuitous" is one of my favorite words!
Thanks, PineapplePrincess, your comments were both gracious and delightful.

you guys (and gal) had a great trip! really good trip report..so how many days were you all there? looking forward to the next report!

just watched the united states of whatever video and im still laughing..lol...awesome
I appreciate your comments, nc_disneyfreak. We were there only 6 days, 5 nights ... but they were rockin'!

And here's the Whatever video for other fellow sock puppet/punk enthusiasts. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom