What your thoughts on the video game systems you tried, own, or use to own?

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
I am starting out with the Colecovision Flashback and is the only Flashback out of the series that I played.

Colecovision Flashback
The Colecovision Flashback is basically a plug and play system that has played emulated Colecovision games. It came out in 2014. Its one of many Flashback systems that AT Games released. At Games usually does multiple flashback

Colecovision flashback has Homebrew games, games as arcade ports, computer games ports, exclusive games and games that can be found on multiple systems.

It is is smaller than the real colecovision and doesn't have the expansion slot the Coleocovision has. For those who don't know, the Colecovision was one of the victims of the video game crash of 1983/1984. Colecovision's lifetime was from 1982 to 1984. Colecovision does have a great homebrew scene based on I've seen a retro video game site and was able to add some to the flashback as a result. Some of the homebrew games made on the Colecovision Flashback such as Ms. Space Fury, and Princess Quest.

I can't comment about how good the emulation is for the games because I never played games on real Colecovision system. I like some of the 60 games because I got my start playing with Atari 2600 and Intellivision games.

The Flashback does have some of the same arcade ports as a real Colecovision game library has. Pepper 2 is one my favorite games on the Flashback. This plug and play is made for people that like to play video games that were released before the Nes game system was released in North America.

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Original Game Boy

I played the Original Game Boy in stores a few times and my grade school friend brought it over once. The system isn't as powerful as its rival the Atari lynx, but the Lynx was more expensive along with Game boy having much longer battery life. Game boy also had a lot more games.

I never been a fan over the spinach green graphics of the original game boy and I never owned the original at all. My problem is caused by me actually had a difficult time seeing parts of some games with the spinach green in an era that I needed special eye drop to stabilize my vision. The Game Boy isn't the only hand held that I had issue seeing the screen concerning the early 1990s era handheld systems.

The games for the original game boy are good. The games are great to play on Super Game boy, Game Boy Player, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. I played games such as Tetris as an example.

Here is my thoughts on the Atari Lynx:

Atari Lynx
It was ahead of its time from a handheld gaming system standpoint since it was released in 1989. It was more powerful than the Original Game Boy and Game Gear. The lynx though had multiple problems starting with cost and battery life. The cost of the system, battery life, and the amount of games made it a huge disadvantage over the Game Boy. The only graphical downfall for the lynx was its low resolution.

Nintendo having exclusive 3rd parties was a big hinderance to the Lynx. Telegames was one of a very small amount of 3rd party publishers the lynx had. The Lynx had arcade port and some good computer ports.

The Lynx did have some good games such as California games, Warbirds, and Blue Lightning as examples but it had a small game library of less than 80 games. Here is what I am referring from a graphic standpoint for the Atari Lynx:

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Atari 2600 Jr.
I was an owner of this system before getting the Atari 7800 game console. Atari 7800 is backwards compatible with Atari 2600 games. The Atari 2600 Jr. was sold in the states from 1986 to 1990. The Atari 2600 Jr. cheapest game console on the market compare to the Atari 7800, Atari XEGS, Nes, Sega Master System, Tg-16, and the Sega Genesis. The Atari 2600 Jr. was the latest of a long line of different versions of the Atari 2600 and the final version of the Atari 2600 before infogrames decided to crate built in Atari 2600 games in their Flashbacks.

What I didn't know at the time I got the Atari 2600 Jr. was the original version came out in 1977 and parts of Atari changed hands through ownership. The Computer and the video game system part of Atari back in 1984 was sold to Jack Tramiel and his family. When they bought the computer and the game console divisions of Atari, they got left over inventory and is why the Atari 2600 Jr. got on the market.

The Atari 2600 Jr. was slick looking game console from a design standpoint and is very similar the Atari 5200 and the Atari 7800. The 2600 jr. was able to play all the controllers that all the other version of the Atari 2600 had. The controllers were great. The 2600 Jr. came with a one button controller, and paddles.

The Atari 2600 Jr's games released during its 1986 to 1990 timeline was more advanced than they were previously such Secret Quest, Radar Lock, Solaris, River Raid 2, Road Runner, and California games as examples. The Atari 2600 Jr. was able to play all 2600 that were released from 1977 to 1986. From a game standpoint, the system was really pushed. The scary thing is the 2600 was pushed even more in its homebrew life by able to do scrolling platform games like a Super Mario Clone called Princess Rescue before Nintendo stopped sales on it.

The only issues with the Atari 2600 is Atari continuing to develop games for the system at that the 7800 was the newer system and the 2600 already was 9 years old in 1986. From a hardware standpoint, this version of the 2600 shouldn't been release because the 2600 was already 9 years old with it the sound and graphics being extremely dated with Atari and a small amount of 3rd party publishers still making games for from 1986 to 1990. Tramiel's decision to release the Atari 2600 was the right one at the time and was one of the facts the Atari corp. was able to make profits in the mid to late 1980s along with their Computer line.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
For those that don't know what Princess Rescue was before Nintendo stopped the sell of homebrew cartridge releases of it in 2013, here it is:

Pixieish

Cripes...I'll try to remember them all.

We started out with Pong when I was little (I want to say around maybe 6 or 7), then had nothing for a while. Got the Atari 2600 as a Christmas present and played on that for years until our mother gave it away. Fast forward to the early 1990s, and I got a Sega Genesis.

We've since had a Playstation, 2 Playstation 2s, a Sega Dreamcast, a Wii, a WiiU, and a re-released Sega Genesis. Believe it or not, we still have some of the nearly 30-year-old original cartridges - AND THEY WORK.

I've played on a few other Nintento systems (mainly during the Super Nintendo years), and also an Intellivision system (holy cow am I aging myself in this post!). I've also played many, many games on PC and iPad.

My preferred method of real gaming is either Playstation or Nintendo. I'm not really a "gamer" in the sense that I don't play the super-intense simulation or POV games or anything, but I really enjoy games like Epic Mickey 1 & 2, Kingdom Hearts, the Lego games, etc. etc. Just enough to keep me busy until I finish the game and I can replay in the future if I want.

I will say this though..my sister and I used to drive each other bonkers over the Atari 2600...either she was mad that I kept beating her or I was mad that she wanted to play Donkey Kong YET AGAIN. ;)

Pixieish

I should also add that with an 11-year-old boy in the house, the squabbling over whose turn it is to pick what game to play or whose turn it is to use the system are still in full swing! (He is OBSESSED with Sonic the Hedgehog and Five Nights at Freddy's and I had my fill of Sonic 20+ years ago.)

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Sega CD
While I own the Sega Genesis and the 32x for year, this is something found cheap last year. I heard of the Sega Cd in 1992 as an ad-on. The timing wasn't bad at all because the Genesis wasn't ready to be replaced and lasted 3 years in North America.

Sega CD does have cheesy voice acting. Out of the current games I own, there really isn't an upgrade in graphics at all as an add-on. The Sega CD has a great advantage over the Sega Genesis in memory and sound.

I think the graphic thing is something I blame on the Sega Master System not being that Successful in the states and force Sega to release the Genesis in Japan in 1988 instead of 1990 or 1991. The Sega CD uses the same controllers as the Sega Genesis.

I don't think the system is a mistake as an add-on unlike the 32x although the technology was very early considering the speed of the disc drive. The speed of the disc drive does not make it ideal for head to head fighting games. The problem is how the companies used the CD media at the time before the Playstation/Saturn for games. Companies focused fmv a lot in those years, and only made slight upgrades compare to the Genesis version some of the games. The memory of the system was great for RPGS and for some other games.

32x
My parents gave it to me as surprise Christmas gift after making the mistake of turning down the chance of owning a Super Nintendo. It is something I regret.

The 32x as a system had great potential based on me playing Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing Deluxe. The problem is a lot of the games didn't take advantage of the specs due to the games being slight upgrades from the Sega Genesis or they were released months after the Genesis version was released such as Mortal Kombat 2.

The 32x from my view was an add-on that shouldn't have been released although there are games on it that I like. Sega of Japan was calling the shots and decided to released the 32x and the Saturn in Japan and that was a huge mistake. Sega of Japan was calling all the shots because the Genesis sold better in the States than in Japan and to top it off, Sega of America was responsible for the great 1991 Sega Genesis marketing.

The 32x was released in the states as a result in Novemeber of 1994, but the Saturn came out in May of 1995. I know the Sega Genesis was released on the market in 1988 in Japan and 1989 in North America, but having an add-on released in 1994 is very late for the Sega Genesis unlike the Sega Cd add-on. The Sega-CD was released during the prime of the Sega Genesis unlike the 32x.

The problem with that is Sega invested money in 2 new systems in the Saturn and the 32x instead of the Saturn. All the money spent on the 32x could've been spent on the Saturn, Game Gear, the Genesis, or the Sega CD.

Last edited:

Pixieish

Sega CD
While I own the Sega Genesis and the 32x for year, this is something found cheap last year. Sega CD does have cheesy voice acting. Out of the current games I own, there really isn't an upgrade in graphics at all as an add-on. The Sega CD has a great advantage over the Sega Genesis in memory and sound.

I think the graphic thing is something I blame on the Sega Master System not being that Successful in the states and force Sega to release the Genesis in Japan in 1988 instead of 1990 or 1991. The Sega CD uses the same controllers as the Sega Genesis.

I don't think the system is a mistake as an add-on unlike the 32x although the technology was very early considering the speed of the disc drive. The speed of the disc drive does not make it ideal for head to head fighting games. The problem is how the companies used the CD media at the time before the Playstation/Saturn for games. Companies focused fmv a lot in those years, and only made slight upgrades compare to the Genesis version some of the games. The memory of the system was great for RPGS and for some other games.

32x
My parents gave it to me as surprise Christmas gift after making the mistake of turning down the chance of owning a Super Nintendo.

The 32x as a system had great potential based on me playing Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing Deluxe. The problem is a lot of the games didn't take advantage of the specs due to the games being slight upgrades from the Sega Genesis or they were released months after the Genesis version was released such as Mortal Kombat 2.

The 32x from my view was a system that shouldn't have been released although there games on it that I like. Sega of Japan was calling the shots and decided to released the 32x and the Saturn in Japan and that was a huge mistake. Sega of Japan was calling all the shots because the Genesis sold better in the States than in Japan and to top it off, Sega of America was responsible for the great 1991 Sega Genesis mar

The 32x was released in the states as a result in Novemeber of 1994, but the Saturn came out in May of 1995. I know the Sega Genesis was released on the market in 1988 in Japan and 1989 in North America, but having an add-on released in 1994 is very late for the Sega Genesis unlike the Sega Cd.

The problem with that is Sega invested money in 2 new systems in the Saturn and the 32x instead of the Saturn. All the money spent on the 32x could've been spent on the Saturn, Game Gear, the Genesis, or the Sega CD.

I had really high hopes for the Saturn when it came out, but it just sort of flopped.

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Intellivision II
This is mattel's 2nd version of the intellivision and was the first ever video game System I recalled getting. If people are wondering, Intellivision 2 can't play all the games from the original version of the Intellivision. People can't play Donkey Kong, Mouse Trap, Carnival, and Electric company world fun on the Intellivision II. There is no graphic change from different Intellivision models to my knowledge.

I am not a fan of the intellivision II controllers, but I can make them work for games such as diner. The Intellivision is stronger than the 2600 in sound, graphics, memory but its slower than the 2600. The intellivision can do arcade style games well such as Burgertime.

The intellivision was known for 2 player games, strategy games, and sports games. Some of the best games of the Intellivision actually came from the 1986 to 1988 time period such as Dig Dug, diner, Tower of Doom, Bodyslam: Super Pro Wrestling, and updated sports games as examples. The Intellivision also does have a good homebrew game community that releases new games. Some of the them got the okay to do games like Defender of the Crown. The homebrew community based what I noticed did a small amount of pre-1984 arcade games that the intellivision could handle, computer ports and bunch of original games. While I don't own any homebrew games, I'm under the impression the Intellivision homebrew scene doesn't push the system like the Atari 7800 or the 2600.

The intellivision did have some 3rd party games, but not like the Atari 2600 did or what the colecovision was doing either.

The intellivision II works with an Intellivoice module and a system charger. What an Intellivoice module does is add voice to intellivision games although only 4 games used it. It also had a system charger that mattel released in 1982 or 1983. What a system charger did was play allow intellivision owners to play Atari 2600 games. I do own the Intellivoice and the system charger. I've used the system charger before and it does work.

Here is the system charger:

Img1_SysChanger2.jpg

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
I had really high hopes for the Saturn when it came out, but it just sort of flopped.
I remembered myself wanting a Sega Saturn after hearing about it in 1994. I didn't get a Saturn before the Dreamcast was discontinued though. I was waiting to see what the Original Playstation and N64 offered. By the time the N64 came out, The Saturn was hurting bad.

The good news for the Sega Saturn is there is an easy way to play Japanese Sega Saturn games. What you need is an Action Replay 4M Plus. What an Action Replay does it basically makes the saturn region free. The Saturn has great english friendly games in Japan, but they are not cheap. People have been selling backups of saturn games matter of fact due to the cost of Japanese Saturn games.

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Sega Game Gear
I first tried out it at a store in 1991 before getting one used in the 2000s.

There really isn't much of a difference between a Sega Master and a Game Gear from a graphic standpoint outside of a Game Gear being a handheld system. A lot of the games can be found on both system. The Game Gear isn't as a powerful as an Atari Lynx. The Game Gear also had issues with blurry screens. The Game Gear even has a Master Gear.

The Game Gear suffered from stuff similar to the lynx although not to the same extent. Game Gear does have some third parties, but Nintendo's 3rd party policy did hurt it to a point. I thought the Shining Force game on the system was a good game for it.

What I think hurt the Game Gear was Sega was supporting Sega Genesis, and Sega Cd in America also. That isn't as bad what happened in some countries overseas before the Sega Master System wasn't discontinued as early as Japan and the United States. Game Gear also had problems with battery life.

erasure fan1

I have all of the major home consoles from atari through xbox one. The only ones I'm missing are ps3 & 4. I don't have all the niche systems like 3do, neogeo... As far as hand helds I don't have a Lynx, turbo grafix or a vita. The Sega systems are my favorites but the best single system is the 360. It's nice having all the systems hooked up at once as my kids have been able to progress through gaming history just as I did. I love hearing my kids talking to friends about old games like everyone has played them. "Did you play the new mario odyssey yet?" "No but I just finished Alexx Kid in Miracle World and it was awesome!"

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Playstation (game console)
I got a Playstation in 1997 and bought a 2nd model later on. The 3d graphics are better than the Saturn, but isn't as good as the Saturn at 2d games. The original Playstation to me is a top 3 Game Console of the 1990s. What makes it so great is there was no weakness in its era in genres. I also felt like the original Playstation had a quite a bit or rpgs in the states. I loved games like Alundra, Wild Arms, Front Mission 3, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as examples. The Playstation was not the most powerful game console at it in 1996 or 1997, but Sony made all the right moves like Nintendo did for the NES.

Sony canning Bernie Stolar early in the Playstation's life was the right move despite 3d games helped the sales out. Bernie ran Sony's North America video game department His terrible beliefs was why Sony canned him. Bernie believed 2d games shouldn't be allowed in the states, and RPGs can't sell in North America. Bernie's beliefs Would've hurt the Playstation North America if he wasn't canned because Final Fantasy 7 and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night wouldn't have been released in North America if Bernie was still in Charge at the time. The sad thing was Sega of Japan was stupid enough to hire that clown to be Ceo of Sega of America and Bernie sure didn't help the Saturn any.

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Atari 7800
My thoughts are very long here and use 3 posts on this system. This system to me the ultimate what if system. The 7800 was not going to beat the Nes, but this is a system could've sold at least 2 or 3 times as much as it did. What is known for sure is there are documents that state Atari sold at least l million Atari 7800 systems in North America from 1986 to 1990.

The system during its life was known for arcade ports despite only having 58 or 59 games. A good amount homebrew games even pushed that point even more as a system that was great at arcades that were released before 1984 although Commando was a great arcade port the system that was an arcade game in 1985. The drawbacks was the 7800 was a bad sports system, the United States getting bad controllers with the system, 2600 sound, and gave the impression the 7800 couldn't handle Super Mario or scrolling games as well as a NES or a SMS.

I am an Atari 7800 owner for many years. What I thought I knew the capabilities of the system in the early 1990's was wrong. The Atari 7800 used the same sound chip as the Atari 2600. Before the prototypes and the homebrew games, I really felt the Atari 7800 was 1 or 2 steps behind the NES and the Sega Master System in graphics and type of games the system can do.

I play tested some Atari 7800 homebrew in the 2000s and the early 2010s. I also tried out prototypes of Klax, Plutos, and Sirius for the Atari 7800. I played Klax at the 2002 Midwest Gaming Classic. What I saw pictures of earlier this year of an upcoming homebrew game was something I didn't even know for certain if the 7800 was capable of it.

What happened was the 7800 was affected many ways from 1984 to its demise in a negative light caused The 7800 not to live up to its potential. While Ballblazer, Tower Toppler and Midnight Muntants were good games for showing graphic capabilities, it took prototypes and homebrew games to show the real potential of the system.

The first problem with the Atari 7800 was what was planned for the 7800 before Warner sold parts of Atari to Jack Tramiel. The Atari 7800 was test marketed in June of 1984 before Tramiel bought the computer and Home game console divisions from Warner. Atari 7800 was supposed be released in 1984 instead of 1986 and the original model of the Atari 7800 had an expansion port. The Atari 7800 originally was supposed to get a keyboard with computer programs. The Atari 7800 from a computer side also used was supposed to have the capabilities to use Atari 400/800 and XL computer peripherals also. There were rumors that the expansion port also was supposed to be used for a laser disc add-on. Before Warner sold the game console and computer divisions of Atari, a new sound chip was being worked on the Atari 7800 called gumby. What I understand was gumby was supposed be a cheaper, but more powerful sound chip than the Pokey sound chip found in Atari 8 bit computers and the Atari 5200. The gumby sound chip was supposed to be added in game cartridges.

When Tramiel finally got the rights to the 7800, the expansion port wasn't used all and the 7800 was used never as a computer either. Atari under Tramiel only put pokey sound chip in 2 Atari 7800 games due to cost and never used the gumby sound chip. I have no idea is the research and development of the gumby sound chip was completed by the time Warner sold the game console and computer divisions. The 7800 not having any sound chips built in the

My own thoughts on the computer plans for the 7800 is I think would've helped from a computer publisher standpoint and I can see parents want their kids to own video game system that also can be a computer. Even if the 7800 was released in 1984, the 7800 was not going to get Japanese third parties and computer publishers released games for the 7800 would've helped.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
More thoughts on Atari 7800
All the details on the Warner selling 2 out of divisions of Atari in 1984 did hurt the 7800 quite bit along with Jack Tramiel actually needed to deal with GCC to get the rights of the Atari 7800. Jack didn't the rights before May of 1985 and also Jack had no one running the Video game division before November of 1985. Warner didn't sell Jack Tramiel the Atari coin up division and did hurt the 7800 quite a bit. I believe Jack had no interest in the coin up division. Jack Tramiel before he was fired in 1983 was the CEO of Commodore, a well known computer company that he founded. I thought Sega Master System and the Nes had Atari coin up division ports that should've been exclusive to Atari systems and it did hurt sales considering games like Marble Madness, road runner, Gauntlet, Gauntlet 2, super Sprint, 720 degrees. Cyberball, Paperboy, and Road blasters would've been great 7800 games as exclusives.

The 7800 being launched in 1986 instead of 1984 gave bad impressions of the system in my option and Atari 7800 could've had 80 plus games instead 58 or 59 games. The games the 7800 supposed to be launched with in 1984 were acceptable at the time with the following games: Food Fight, Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man, Robotron 2084, Desert Falcon, Ballblazer, Dig Dug, Joust, Pole Position II, Galaga, Xevious, Rescue on Fractalus!, and Track and field. While the 7800 didn't get Rescue on Fractalus, and Track and field released, rest of the games released in 1986 and 1987 were dated to a majority of video game players that wanted stuff like Super Mario bros at the time.

What also hurt the Atari 7800 some was Atari also had the Atari 2600 and the Atari XEGS in the market along with Atari crippling 7800 games for profit margins. Atari decided to develop new 2600 games from 1986 to 1990 besides getting a rid of Left over Atari 2600 game inventory Jack Tramiel got from Warner selling the game console and the computer divisions. Jack also had left over 65xe computers and repurposed them as an Atari XEGS and put some old Atari 8 bit computer games that were in disk on cartridges and also release new games for the Atari XEGS

. Jack had Michael Katz to run Atari Corp.'s video game division in the mid to late 1980's. Michael marketed the two systems on television with the Atari XEGS being marketed as a rival to the NES despite the technology of the Atari XEGS actually came from 1979. What Atari did with the 3 game consoles actually was one of the things that helped Atari make profits in the 1986 to 1988 time period. My own thought is Michael Katz did great job for turning around Atari from a profit standpoint short term, but it was not the best interest of the 7800. Atari's priority was getting a rid of inventory and add games to the XEGS and 2600 as a way for gamers to buy them.

Atari crippled the Atari 7800 games by not allowing game cartridge sized go over 128k and 144k at a time that the Sega Master and the NES were doing 256k cartridges or higher. The 7800 actually had the capabilities to go over the 144k cartridge and do 512k cartridge size games with no problems. The best way point at crippling Atari 7800 games was take a look at Double Dragon. Double Dragon as a 128k cartridge game that actually had stuff taken out. The stuff taken out was animations for throwing boulders, and a balcony for the final battle.

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Final thoughts on the 7800
The 7800 was great for arcade ports, but what I out of the homebrew scene proved there was a lot more the 7800. Here is what I am referring to:
hqdefault.jpg

That maze picture is of a game that is still being developed.

This video being shown below was a game that people have tried during its development including myself and gives an argument that the 7800 can do Sonic or a game close to super Mario 3.

Here is now a couple prototypes that would've gave a great glimpse of the 7800 could've been a great scrolling shooter system.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Sega Nomad
I didn't own it back when it was first released, but got it used in the 2000s at a used electronic store. It is a good system as a portable Sega Genesis. What can be said about the Sega Genesis can be said about the nomad basically.

Sega Saturn
I first played in May or June of 1995 with me playing Panzer Dragoon at a store, but didn't get before the 2000s. It is safe to say the Saturn was a better 2d system than a 3d system. The 3d graphics on the Saturn were worse than the original Playstation. The controllers were not bad. It had wonderful games like the Panzer Dragoon series, and Nights into dreams as an example. The problem with the Saturn for me for not getting it was 3 factors.

The Saturn was too expensive in 1995. The 2nd factor was I wanted to see the N64 in action first. The 3rd thing was when I was ready to buy a next gen system at the time, the Saturn was dying in the states and settled for the Playstation.

Sega made 4 mistakes with the system from a United States Standpoint. The first one was working on the 32x and all money spent on the games for it besides the system itself. I know some of the planned 32x games became Saturn games, but all the rumor mill games could've been Saturn games a first place. The 2nd one was the release date of the Saturn being in May instead of September. The 3rd one was Sonic X-treme never was released, and people had to settle for Sonic 3d blast, Sonic R, and Sonic Jam instead.

The final one was Sega of Japan hiring Bernie Stolar to be CEO of Sega of America. Bernie Stolar did not believe in selling 2d games and RPGS in the states and that was a belief he had even when he had running Sony's Game console branch in North America. Stolar's belief with rpgs was due to him thinking no RPG can be a big seller in the United States. The best way to put it is he wouldn't have allowed Final Fantasy 7 to be released in the states on the Original playstation if he was still president. To top it off with Bernie is his Saturn is not our Future speech at the 1997 E3 and a lot 3rd party games got cancelled due to that speech of his and Sega. What Stolar did caused Sega a lot of harm in the states from the Start of 1998 to the day before the Dreamcast got released in the states by having a very small amount of Saturn games released in the states in 1998 and none in 1999.

The Saturn has a lot of great Japan only games, but Stolar caused them to stay in Japan. A lot of the Japan only games are very expensive due to his doing. A lot of Saturn owners know how to play imports on their american Saturn game consoles such as using an Action Replay 4 in 1 cartridge.

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Nes
I got this system much later than other people did in my generation. I played games on the Atari 2600 Jr and the 7800 during the Nes era.

I also became an owner of Famicom games earlier this year. For those who don't know, the Famicom was the Japanese version of the NES. The Famicom's roots actually were the same as the 7800's. The Famicom got its start in 1983 and it depend on early arcade ports in that era. That system was different from was before Super Mario Brothers came out.

The NES is one of the greatest systems of all time. I can easily do a top 100 with no problem.

The Nes didn't have the best graphics of that generation, but it had an outstanding game library. During the cartridge era of gaming, game console makers needed to add hardware inside the game cartridge itself as way of pushing the systems abilities. I'm convinced the NES would've won over the Sega Master System and the Atari 7800 even without Nintendo's 3rd party policies at the time. Sega's problem at the time with the Master System besides Marketing was Sega's non arcade stuff if that era was weaker than the Genesis era despite having some great 1st party games such as Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy 3: Dragon's trap as an example. Sega's Alex Kidd varies depending on the game in the series on the SMS.

The Nes was going to beat the Atari 7800 in the states even without the 3rd party monopoly policy and if things worked to plan. Atari 7800 really didn't have anything that can match the Nes in 1985 or 1986 even if all the original launch titles were released in 1984 outside of maybe lucasfilm games that Atari would've published. Atari was depending on Arcade titles for the 7800. From Atari's own history of arcade ports, I figured Atari was going to give the 7800 arcade ports from Taito, Namco, Midway, Williams and Atari's own coin up division. Taito and Namco had a business relationship with Atari for their arcade games being ported on Atari systems, but I wouldn't expect Taito and Namco to publish games on the 7800 though.

Atari also would've had big issue on amount of 3rd parties compare to the Nes. While the 7800 had possibility of getting Broderbund, Eypx, Acclaim, LJN, Gametek, Mindscape and Hi Tech Expressions, that wouldn't be enough against the Nes or the Master System. The 7800 back in the day had Activision, Absolute Entertainment, and Froggo Games as 3rd party publishes. Tnt Games was going to be a publisher, but they stopped development of their 7800 game before it was released.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom