What Would You Choose

• Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Snake River Farms Wagyu Strip Loin

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Both entrees seem to have the same sides - bobotie mac n' cheese, grilled Delta-asparagus, kachumbari, South African red wine sauce.

I don't eat steak often outside of WDW. When I do I tend to get filet. I've never had Wagyu.

Thoughts?

Lensman

Steak is a very personal choice. :)

Why do you tend to get filet? Do you generally prefer filet over strip loin? What are your thoughts on T-Bone or Porterhouse? What doneness do you get your meat?

Strip loin is my favorite cut of beef, especially if I can get it Prime. I like it on the rare side of medium-rare. I think it has more flavor than filet.

I do like a good T-Bone or Porterhouse, but prefer T-Bone because I like the loin side more than the tenderloin side, and the loin side of the T-Bone is better than the loin side of the Porterhouse.

At home I will tend to get Ribeye because at the Choice or Select level, the extra fattiness helps with the flavor. Plus I think it's more forgiving in preparation.

shipley731

For the beef alone, I'd personally do the strip loin. That being said, I would order either as I can't stand macaroni & cheese.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Steak is a very personal choice. :)

Why do you tend to get filet? Do you generally prefer filet over strip loin? What are your thoughts on T-Bone or Porterhouse? What doneness do you get your meat?

Strip loin is my favorite cut of beef, especially if I can get it Prime. I like it on the rare side of medium-rare. I think it has more flavor than filet.

I do like a good T-Bone or Porterhouse, but prefer T-Bone because I like the loin side more than the tenderloin side, and the loin side of the T-Bone is better than the loin side of the Porterhouse.

At home I will tend to get Ribeye because at the Choice or Select level, the extra fattiness helps with the flavor. Plus I think it's more forgiving in preparation.
This might be a "I don't know much about art but I know what I like" kind of answer but I've just never had a bad filet. Any other kind of cut, I've had good or bad but a filet has yet to disappoint me so once I severely cut back on the amount of beef I consume, I've stuck with filet whenever it was an option.
Plus, despite the price, filets tend to (or at least seem to) be smaller in size than other cuts. Sure, there's something to be said about cutting into a T-Bone the size of Andre the Giant's head but not in 90+-degree temps where the Real Feel is routinely over 100.

But if I were to attempt to cook a steak at home I probably would choose a ribeye because as you wrote, it's more forgiving and I'd hate to think I destroyed a higher quality piece of meat.

ABQ

I've had them both, but I voted for the strip loin. The filet it great, however, like many filets, flavor is lacking compared to the wagyu. This is simply due to a filet having so little fat to impart any flavor, so it relies more on sauce to make up for that short coming. This is no knock on Jiko, it's the limitation of the cut of beef. They cooked it perfectly (rare) when I ordered it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom