What will the experiences at the resorts be like post COVID?

durangojim

Original Poster
We have a 8 night trip planned mid July at the GF but are obviously having concerns about what our experience will be like. We aren’t as concerned about contracting the disease but if we’ll still be able to enjoy the things about the GF that has made it special to us - lounging by the pool, playing with our kids in the pool, having a drink or two in the bar, bringing back breakfast to our room from Gasparilla’s in the morning, listening to the music in the lobby. I’m wondering if any of you have any ideas what some resort specific restricts will be. Thanks!

Graham9

We have a 8 night trip planned mid July at the GF but are obviously having concerns about what our experience will be like. We aren’t as concerned about contracting the disease but if we’ll still be able to enjoy the things about the GF that has made it special to us - lounging by the pool, playing with our kids in the pool, having a drink or two in the bar, bringing back breakfast to our room from Gasparilla’s in the morning, listening to the music in the lobby. I’m wondering if any of you have any ideas what some resort specific restricts will be. Thanks!

Firstly, I would be very concerned about contracting the disease, not only for myself and for those with me and who happen to be near me. You don't need to look very far as to how many people this disease has killed and I do not want to add to the statistics in any way. I am having to completely rethink our plans to visit WDW in the light of all this and I'm not going to commit to anything until this situation subsides.

Secondly, I don't suppose anyone has any real idea what will happen to the parks in either the short term, long term or even permanently. I dare say there will be radical changes at every level and everyone is going to have to accept this is how things are going to be from now on.

Genie_naughty_whispers

I would be of the opinion that pools might not open right away, especially splash pads. Also, any type of communal food and drink may have strict rules, like bars, or completely shut like buffets.

I would imagine getting food and bringing it to the room would be possible. But I also doubt Disney will be open for your July trip.

MJJME

Based on Shanghai, I think the hotel/resorts will be relatively normal (with the obvious social distancing) but the parks look like its not going to be a great experience......required to wear a mask in the parks, the social distancing, no parades, no fireworks, no character meet and greets, limited capacity at restaurants, etc

MJJME

I would be of the opinion that pools might not open right away, especially splash pads. Also, any type of communal food and drink may have strict rules, like bars, or completely shut like buffets.

I would imagine getting food and bringing it to the room would be possible. But I also doubt Disney will be open for your July trip.
COVID does not spread through water and chlorine kills the virus fyi...….. and based on Shanghai timeline, WDW should be open by July, so as long as you can social distance it should be ok

Last edited:

CLEtoWDW

I think by the end of May the conclusion will be reached that the COVID virus does not transmit nearly as well in hot and humid climates. This obviously will help significantly with the ability to reopen WDW. Obviously there will need to be similar protocols to Shanghai (maybe no mask requirement though).

durangojim

Original Poster
Firstly, I would be very concerned about contracting the disease, not only for myself and for those with me and who happen to be near me. You don't need to look very far as to how many people this disease has killed and I do not want to add to the statistics in any way. I am having to completely rethink our plans to visit WDW in the light of all this and I'm not going to commit to anything until this situation subsides.

Secondly, I don't suppose anyone has any real idea what will happen to the parks in either the short term, long term or even permanently. I dare say there will be radical changes at every level and everyone is going to have to accept this is how things are going to be from now on.
I appreciate your concern. I'm a family doc and have had my share of patients who have contracted and died from this disease, so I wasn't trying to be flippant or ignoring the severity of what is happening. My statement was more from the standpoint of being around and exposed to it so I feel as prepared as one can when trying to operate in this situation. It's one of the reasons why we would drive (which we rarely do) as opposed to keeping our flights as we have them scheduled now.

Prince-1

I appreciate your concern. I'm a family doc and have had my share of patients who have contracted and died from this disease, so I wasn't trying to be flippant or ignoring the severity of what is happening. My statement was more from the standpoint of being around and exposed to it so I feel as prepared as one can when trying to operate in this situation. It's one of the reasons why we would drive (which we rarely do) as opposed to keeping our flights as we have them scheduled now.

And yet your comment was completely flippant and ignorant to the situation we face with contracting the virus. But as a family doc you know this already.

Lilofan

After a hot long day in the park then going back to the resort with possibly the pools closed will surely be a different feeling.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I get what you mean, nothing wrong with wondering about how your resort experience could be like. I'd expect it being somewhat dimished in terms of amenities.

As for the health angle of things, you are a doctor, if someone is aware and understands about health risks, that would be you.

I too, wonder about our future WDW resort experience.

durangojim

Original Poster
I get what you mean, nothing wrong with wondering about how your resort experience could be like. I'd expect it being somewhat dimished in terms of amenities.

As for the health angle of things, you are a doctor, if someone is aware and understands about health risks, that would be you.

I too, wonder about our future WDW resort experience.
That's what I meant by I wasn't concerned. It wasn't that I don't think we can get sick, it's that I deal with this on a daily basis so it's not something that's giving me anxiety or concerning me. Of course some people can't understand that.

BASS

There was nothing wrong with the comment at all.

In any event, I think the resorts will do a decent job. There's necessarily less foot traffic at the resort than parks. I think each will be able to do a good job managing flow, particularly at check-in/out. The parks are going to be harder because you have hordes of people who want to do what they want and go where they want to go. Plus everyone's in a rush.

nickys

Premium Member
And yet your comment was completely flippant and ignorant to the situation we face with contracting the virus. But as a family doc you know this already.

Literally all OP said in his original post was “We aren’t as concerned about contracting the disease”. That isn’t flippant or ignorant. If he had said “There isn’t any risk of contracting the disease”, that might be construed differently.

Once restrictions are lifted to allow hotels to open, there are some people who will be happy to go on a vacation. Those who don’t feel comfortable with the situation will presumably cancel any planned vacation. And as a doctor, he’ll be able to be tested before he returns to work. It all comes down to your own personal attitude to risk, and I would suggest a doctor is in a good position to be able to weigh up those risks, as indeed everyone is entitled to do.

nickys

Premium Member
If the pools are closed we won’t be going.

Wondering if you would go if the parks aren’t open, or severely restricted? Is this a case of “we need to getaway and a resort-only stay is fine” or would you at least want some of the parks open?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom