What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

What will it take to stop you from going to WDW?

• Attraction line system that actually makes the whole experience worse

• Escalating or out of control prices. Nickle & diming the customers

• Replacing favorite rides with IPs

• Removing favorite or beloved attractions

• Reduced entertainment like shows, fireworks, meet & greets, etc.

• Opening new rides with inferior effects

• Hate Disney management

• Overcrowded making it less enjoyable

• Disrepair or poor condition of the parks and rides

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pepper's Ghost

Original Poster
Sorry if this has been done before, but I'm really curious of everyone's thoughts. In dozens of different threads I've seen comments from folks saying they're done with WDW for various reasons. Others feel TWDC can do no wrong and will go no matter what leadership crams down their throat. So, I'm wondering what will it finally take to stop people from going. No weekend trips. No annual pass. No 8-day vacations. What will it take? I turned this into a poll, but I'm really curious about people's opinions, so please elaborate especially since the poll only allows 10 options. The poll allows voting for multiple reasons. Please pick all that apply.

For me it's the following, some of which have been realized already, some perhaps not.
  • attraction line system that actually makes the whole experience worse (Genie+)
  • ripping out beloved attractions like HM, PotC, SoC, GMR, RnRC would be or has been catastrophic to my experience
  • replacing beloved rides with IPs like Stitch in place of Alien Encounter, M&MRR in place of GMR
  • killing rides that had great effects for lazy efforts like the aforementioned M&MRR
  • disrepair or poor condition of the parks and rides
  • reduced entertainment like shows, fireworks, meet & greets, etc.
  • nickle & diming the customers. I find this a distinctly different category from just price increases. This is the deceptive practice of charging small amounts for just about anything you can do, therefore hiding the overall cost. I don't mind the cost increase because it can reduce crowds. The nickle and diming is a deceptive practice I despise.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Sorry if this has been done before, but I'm really curious of everyone's thoughts. In dozens of different threads I've seen comments from folks saying they're done with WDW for various reasons. Others feel TWDC can do no wrong and will go no matter what leadership crams down their throat. So, I'm wondering what will it finally take to stop people from going. No weekend trips. No annual pass. No 8-day vacations. What will it take? I turned this into a poll, but I'm really curious about people's opinions, so please elaborate especially since the poll only allows 10 options. The poll allows voting for multiple reasons. Please pick all that apply.

For me it's the following, some of which have been realized already, some perhaps not.
  • attraction line system that actually makes the whole experience worse (Genie+)
  • ripping out beloved attractions like HM, PotC, SoC, GMR, RnRC would be or has been catastrophic to my experience
  • replacing beloved rides with IPs like Stitch in place of Alien Encounter, M&MRR in place of GMR
  • killing rides that had great effects for lazy efforts like the aforementioned M&MRR
  • disrepair or poor condition of the parks and rides
  • reduced entertainment like shows, fireworks, meet & greets, etc.
  • nickle & diming the customers. I find this a distinctly different category from just price increases. This is the deceptive practice of charging small amounts for just about anything you can do, therefore hiding the overall cost. I don't mind the cost increase because it can reduce crowds. The nickle and diming is a deceptive practice I despise.

Pretty much every one of those things has happened and I still plan to go back. I will stop going when I stop enjoying my trips.

hanwill

I'm giving it one more shot before I decide. I went in August, with no FP at all and the lines were barely tolerable- not fun. They have made that worse, I am afraid, and it is quickly becoming a trip that is not worth the value of the vacation- and I usually travel in a party of 7 - at least once a year for the past 20 years. If you get enough of us to do that- it's going to be a problem. I have noticed the poor repair situation the last few times we have been. Totally unacceptable for the amount we are spending.

hsisthebest

We are trying Disneyland for the first time after 13 trips to WDW over the past 20 years. DL still seems to be more laid back and you can do a lot on crowded days. Their Genie+ and ILL does not seem to run out nearly as fast. I have a big family now and stay offsite so WDW currently doesn't have much to offer.

Vegas Disney Fan

We are trying Disneyland for the first time after 13 trips to WDW over the past 20 years. DL still seems to be more laid back and you can do a lot on crowded days. Their Genie+ and ILL does not seem to run out nearly as fast. I have a big family now and stay offsite so WDW currently doesn't have much to offer.
It’s funny you say this because I was about to say the opposite, WDW will be getting more of our business because DL has become so unbearably busy it‘s becoming hard to enjoy it.

I think this may be a case of “grass is greener” for both of us, we go to DL all the time so when it’s busy we don’t have much fun, whereas at WDW we just love being there and looking at everything even if it is busy. The same will probably be true for you, the rarity of a DL trip should make it much more enjoyable even if it’s crowded.

I chose overcrowding and the line system simply because those are the complaints I see from everyone right now, whether at DL or WDW. The castle parks just can’t accommodate everyone that want to go, time to build a third castle park someplace like Texas to increase overall capacity.

BubbaisSleep

It’s funny you say this because I was about to say the opposite, WDW will be getting more of our business because DL has become so unbearably busy it‘s becoming hard to enjoy it.

I think this may be a case of “grass is greener” for both of us, we go to DL all the time so when it’s busy we don’t have much fun, whereas at WDW we just love being there and looking at everything even if it is busy. The same will probably be true for you, the rarity of a DL trip should make it much more enjoyable even if it’s crowded.

I chose overcrowding and the line system simply because those are the complaints I see from everyone right now, whether at DL or WDW. The castle parks just can’t accommodate everyone that want to go, time to build a third castle park someplace like Texas to increase overall capacity.
If my goal is to get on rides, I find DLR way more relaxing on a crowded day. If the park is crowded or one of the many popular rides break down, I have so many other nearby options to check out as compared to the WDW parks that lack huge attractions. Especially before all of the recent additions, if one ride broke down or if it was super crowded, there wasn't many other ride options that my party was interested in.

But on the other side, if I don't care about riding rides I'd find WDW more enjoyable on a crowded day as the parks are so big that even leisure walks are nice. I could happily walk around a crowded AK & Epcot and not get on one ride, just eat & enjoy the scenery all day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Pretty much every one of those things has happened and I still plan to go back. I will stop going when I stop enjoying my trips.
I think my answer is “when I have to force myself/convince myself that I’m having a good time.”

Even long time, do nothing types like me realize it’s too expensive for that. That would be a marketing/management fail.

On a related note: we decided we are going to cancel in June. The climate/operation just is not conducive to recreation right now.

dreday3

Yes. We don't go all that often, so still worth it/fun for us. Last trip was October 2021. :)

We like to travel and WDW will likely always be in our rotation in some way/shape/form. The way we visit may change due to affordability, but we will see.

Last edited:

Piebald

I went to DL in 2017 and liked it a lot more than WDW. Maybe it was the novelty or the crowd difference but we enjoyed it. The max pass was brilliant and allowed us to do a ton. Then we went to Tokyo and realized both resorts paled in comparison. I think maybe living next to WDW made us a little sick of it. We have APs and go once in a while but it's the same attitude going nowadays as if I was going to the mall or something. I would like to take my young nieces soon and see it through their eyes though.

Heppenheimer

I have no plans to go back for anything other than a conference, simply because they're charging too much for what is no longer a premium product. I only have so much discretionary vacation money to spend.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It already has happened. They have priced me out after 39 years of at least yearly participation. Not there fault that I don't have as much money to throw away anymore, but none the less restrictive for me.
I don’t believe you have less money…I don’t believe enough value is being delivered for the price.

That’s completely different. It’s not your fault.

I see a lot of people frequently saying it’s “worth it to me!”…but occasionally slip and say they don’t go that often. So why take lectures from those that haven’t been since 2016 or 2018? They have no idea in truth.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We went at least once a year with my kids. Last trip May 2021… went to Universal last month and that was all it took. I’m not saying I won’t ever go back to Disney… but I don’t have that burning desire to book our next trip. We loved universal. My kids are 10, 8, and about to be 2.
I really liked universal when we went just prior to plague…

It’s not Disney…but it offers enough on its own that makes it a substitute when you consider how Disney doesn’t make an effort to want you anymore. They’ve definitely forgotten where they came from.

That wasn’t the case before 17 years of Bobs

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom