What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

ToTBellHop

Mickey Views latest video talks a bit about crowd levels (they're bad) and the spin the Executives are trying to put on it.

I think it means we may see some extra announcements to boost hype and drive excitement around visiting.
Who are these clowns? Attendance is bad? It’s September. It’s hot as balls, kids are in school, and it’s the peak of hurricane season. Of course the parks are dead. They always are in September and people act like the sky is falling.

Better cut staffing…

bhg469

I’d be all for a 3rd Disney resort in NY, enclose it somehow. Give the northerners a reason Not to move to FL to be close to a Disney park!
People in grand island NY were always under the impression there was to be a Disney park there under a dome. If Disney was to go anywhere in the state of NY that would be the spot. Lots of room, close proximity to Canada and it doesn't smell like urine. Having said that, I've spent over 40 years in the state of NY and it's pretty awful.

UNCgolf

MK and DL average about 20 million guests a year, that’s 50,000 guests a day on average, and the other parks around 10-14 million a year (25-35k) a day, even if they lost 40k a day it would mean a decrease of about 10,000 people a day at the castle parks and 5,000 a day at the other parks (roughly 20%), probably half of which would be made up because they wouldn’t have sold out days anymore and lower crowds would make for better visits and more frequent visits.

The more likely scenario is probably half that, a 10% reduction at all the parks and 5% of that loss coming back via increased visits, and the new park adding several million new visits on top of the poached guests.

Personally if I were Disney I’d happily sacrifice 2 million visits a year at MK and DL (5,000 a day per park) and 1 million visits at year at the other parks(2500 a day per park, 8 million grand total) to add another domestic park bringing in 10-20 million visits a year.

The problem is that it's not that simple. They have a lot of fixed costs that don't go away no matter how many (or few) people are attending the park, between the parks themselves and all of the hotels. They could of course cut staffing, close venues, etc., to help offset some of the other costs, but that then makes for a worse experience for the guests who still come.

It's entirely possible that building a third resort bringing in 10-20 million visits a year would actually lose money for Disney compared to those people just going to WDW instead -- and I imagine they've run the numbers and come to this same conclusion, and that's why they haven't done so (or even really considered doing so, as far as we know).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They can’t staff WDW properly and people want them to build a 3rd park somewhere??

Goodfellas GIF

Vegas Disney Fan

They can’t staff WDW properly and people want them to build a 3rd park somewhere??

Goodfellas GIF

What does staffing in Orlando have to do with building a park in Texas or another state? That makes no sense.

Guess by that logic they should stop the expansion in Paris also. Staffing in Orlando has as much affect on Paris as it would in Texas.

Vegas Disney Fan

It's entirely possible that building a third resort bringing in 10-20 million visits a year would actually lose money for Disney compared to those people just going to WDW instead -- and I imagine they've run the numbers and come to this same conclusion, and that's why they haven't done so (or even really considered doing so, as far as we know).

That must be it because nothing else makes sense, Disney has just decided it’s easier and more profitable to raise prices on their existing 50 million guests a year rather than spend billions on a new park to increase attendance to 60 million guests a year. (Or whatever the total numbers are). Seems like a losing strategy to forego millions of potential guests every year but maybe they’re worried it would become another EuroDisney situation and take a decade or more to ever see a profit. (As someone mentioned earlier there’s not much incentive for executives to risk billions towards the future when most of them will have moved on from the company before the profit are realized.)

It’s opposite business models like Hiltons, Targets, McDonalds, and 99% of the businesses that expand to meet demand but I guess Disney would rather turn people away than increase capacity and risk a loss.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Personally if I were Disney I’d happily sacrifice 2 million visits a year at MK and DL (5,000 a day per park) and 1 million visits at year at the other parks(2500 a day per park, 8 million grand total) to add another domestic park bringing in 10-20 million visits a year.
Right now, WDW is happy to sacrifice 2 M visits at year at MK and DL in order that their guests have a better experience and therefore pay a premium that more than makes up for loss of revenue from reduced attendance.

It's what they're doing now.

We all will have to wait until Disney finds the tipping point at which they can't extract any more "yield" from guests willing to pay the increasing premium costs. Only then would a third domestic park make business sense for the bottom line.

Indy_UK

By pushing pricing and what they can charge on everything to the maximum now makes the future very stagnant for the company. It will probably only be inflation that will allow future rises.

By then Bob Paycheck and Cash d’amaro will have jumped with golden parachutes

TTA94

People in grand island NY were always under the impression there was to be a Disney park there under a dome. If Disney was to go anywhere in the state of NY that would be the spot. Lots of room, close proximity to Canada and it doesn't smell like urine. Having said that, I've spent over 40 years in the state of NY and it's pretty awful.

Goods and bads about living in both places, but one of the positive things is NY has seasons and the holidays actually feel like the holidays. NY has freezing and snowy conditions, FL has horrid heat and humidity. Just depends on what you want to deal with.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Ugh... two D23 threads. Anyway, in a thread far, far away...

A lot of what's on the 100 anniversary poster is ongoing properties which make them rife for D23 announcements. It's just not random Disney miscellany.

Y'all wanna know what's going to be announced/showcased at D23, right? It's in the poster:

Recently Released (and maybe a sequel/series)
  • Lightyear movie
  • Ratatouille (for the new ride or for some new series on D+?)
  • Mulan
  • Frozen 2 (maybe more shorts?)
  • Yellow Submarine (Beatle's special)
  • Luca (recent Luca short... is there more to come?)
  • Turning Red pandas

Projects in the Works
  • Shang-Chi 2 (symbol lower left)
  • Wakanda Forever
  • Spider-Man animation series and maybe a new movie
  • Capt America Shield (for new CA movie)
  • Nova ship (Cosmic Rewind and MCU Nova movie)
  • Monsters series
  • Hocus Pocus 2 (orange book next to Spider-Man)
  • Jungle Cruise 2
  • Nautilus series
  • SEA series
  • PatF (Splash retheme and D+ series)
  • Enchanted 2 (Narissa dragon)
  • Mandalorian
  • Ahsoka (her Fulcrum symbol is above Mickey)
  • training droid (Droids series)
  • Rebel sign (for Andor)
  • Muppets series
  • Simpson's donut (ongoing series and may tie into the short to be released on D+ Day that includes Maleficent)
  • TRON 'on' button to the left of Oswald (for the new ride and maybe info on TRON 3)
  • Encanto Candle (maybe the new retheme of DL Tarzan and maybe D+ series)
  • Keyblade (for a new Kingdom's Heart game)
  • Indy for IJ 5
  • Genie's Lamp for the rumored Aladdin prequel?
  • Moana's ship (Journey of Water featuring Moana)
  • Haunted Mansion candelabra (HM movie in the works)
  • Stitch for the new Stitch series
  • Wishing Star (new Pinnochio D+ movie)
  • Mermaid tail (live action Little Mermaid remake)

Representation/Part of the History
  • Pixar Ball for Pixar
  • EPCOT Ball behind Maleficent for EPCOT (and all its 'reimagining')
  • Orange Bird
  • Pete's Dragon
  • Tinker Bell
  • Dumbo

Questions
  • Why is Vanellope there? RitR2 was a while ago. Will there be a series based on RitR? the fabled Candy Rush retheme of Speedway?
  • What is the five point star next to Waldo? We already have Cap's shield in the upper left.
  • The curvy sword to the right of Oswald is Raya's sword. Is she represented because she was relatively recent, or because there will be a followup sequel/series?
  • What's Oswald doing there? Just for history or will he get animated again?
  • EVE is there, so, will there be a WALL*E sequel?
  • Are the monkey and dolphin supposed to represent DAK and The Seas, or NatGeo?
  • Winnie the Pooh is there, so, a new show?
  • Rapunzel's hair: Will there be more Rapunzel animated series?

High def picture:

Dan Deesnee

The extremely limited discounts, you mean?

How so? When it was announced there was extensive, broad availability with large discounts at many high profile deluxe, value, etc. resorts. And even if it was limited, Disney wouldn't offer it unless bookings were below what they wanted. Which goes against the "everything is awesome" narrative they're trying to sell to investors. Unless Bob has suddenly become very generous.

And not sure what you mean by limited. I went in and looked immediately when it was announced because I have a day we're missing a nights stay for in our upcoming trip.

It was shocking how many nights we're available and the resorts included in the promotion.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Right now, WDW is happy to sacrifice 2 M visits at year at MK and DL in order that their guests have a better experience and therefore pay a premium that more than makes up for loss of revenue from reduced attendance.

It's what they're doing now.

We all will have to wait until Disney finds the tipping point at which they can't extract any more "yield" from guests willing to pay the increasing premium costs. Only then would a third domestic park make business sense for the bottom line.
"Better experience"? Nah. Disney does not care about guest experiences because the guests are the magic. What is true is that guests are financial resources to be exploited to the fullest extent possible. You are correct about "We all will have to wait until Disney finds the tipping point at which they can't extract any more "yield" from guests willing to pay the increasing premium costs."

djkidkaz

I think we need to look at the facts.

Chapeks approach the moment he finally took over fully once Iger left was to scale back with a much more timid / safe approach. He is very much someone who focuses on the financials and economy. He scaled back a lot of the announced projects / plans for the 50th because of the Covid fear. Now there is all this talk about the recession which is going to have him in that same mindset of “keep costs low, we don’t know what is ahead”. Chapek is not that fearless leader who charges ahead, sets the tone and has confidence that his decisions and the product he offers will keep the ship moving forward regardless of economy instability. It’s just not who the guy is, we have plenty of evidence already.

You have numerous park anniversaries coming up, the 100 year celebration and Universal preparing their third theme park. There are more than enough reasons to justify some major green lighting of new attractions, new overlays to existing attractions, new shows, parades, etc.

Do I think it’s coming? I do not. I think this D23 is going to be very lackluster with Disney World announcements and that will truly set the tone of the next few years for Disney Parks fans. If universal building a third park down the road doesn’t get Chapek to green light some major projects, then the realization needs to set in for fans of what you can expect from him.

I’ve been on these boards for two decades now and this has always been THE place for new attraction leaks before they get announced. I haven’t seen anything at all major talked about on here which indicates two options. The first is that with all the Covid layoffs and retirements, the insiders on this board have lost their connections or their truly is just not much in the pipeline besides what we are already aware of.

Here’s my guess as to what to expect and I don’t think there will be much beyond this:

MK - new fireworks show and night parade / Tron opening date
Epcot - updates on the remaining projects to be completed / no new announcements
DHS - fantasmic enhancements and upgrades with an opening date
DAK - no mention of the park

I don’t think you can set the bar any lower than that. Let’s see what Chapek does.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
"Better experience"? Nah. Disney does not care about guest experiences because the guests are the magic. What is true is that guests are financial resources to be exploited to the fullest extent possible. You are correct about "We all will have to wait until Disney finds the tipping point at which they can't extract any more "yield" from guests willing to pay the increasing premium costs."
Both CEOs have on several occasions remarked on how overcrowding at parks brings down GSATs, which brings down "the brand."

The brand is what makes people pay premium prices for Disney products, accepting even those products that are 'meh' at a higher price.

Disney prioritizes highly protecting the brand since it is a profit multiplier.

So, if overcrowding is hurting the brand, they do something about it: Park reservations that stick around past the restrictions of the pandemic times.

And while keeping attendance from spiking, they charge more, and rack up record breaking quarterly profits for the parks.

So, Disney does indeed have to care about guest experience. Enough to mollify the teeming millions, even if it isn't as good as some elite guests expect or demand.

Those with elite expectations can get the service they expect... just pay for a VIP tour experience. And that's how they squeeze yield out of guests and provide better experiences... you just have to pay for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom