What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

SailorMercury

Am I crazy for thinking that it’s actually intended to celebrate recent new things (e.g. since the pandemic) and upcoming stuff? Like, Narissa for Disenchanted, Mulan for the recent remake, the candle for Encanto, the Xandarian starblaster for Cosmic Rewind, Indy for the upcoming movie, SEA for the new series, etc.? I assume it’s more a celebration of recent successes and things soon to come rather than the history of the company.
With this logic, honestly you could make this argument for every picture there, whether or not it makes sense.

puckett26

I realize I am late to the Galaxy's Edge and Rise of the Resistance discussion, however, here is my two cents on why the land is both a success and disappointment at the same time. Please note that this is my opinion as a long time Star Wars and WDW Fan who has been disappointed by both in recent years.

I really like the idea of creating a new location so each guest can enjoy a "themed" experience. However, and especially now that many of the "street" actors are gone and no longer interacting with guests, the land does not feel immersive enough to experience a themed story. In lieu of a half a**ed attempt at creating a new location, WDW would have been better off by taking the Harry Potter World approach and accurately creating areas from the films that are fan favorites. Not saying it would be best but it would have been a better alternative compared to a land that does not feel like it is fully realized.

ROTR qualifies as an E-Ticket when it comes to effects and size but lacks in scope. Maybe my expectations were too high but the ride feels like an open house more than a detailed home inspection. Point being, I exited the ride feeling somewhat disappointed that the ride focuses on showcasing one single, but major aspect in each room of the attraction versus being a completely enthralling experience that focuses on every detail and comes together as one hell of a finished report/experience. This may sound foolish, but the ride feels somewhat "empty" given we are trying to escape a starcruiser. The show of power at the beginning by lining up 100 AA stormtroopers is never realized throughout the experience. Perhaps the empire needs to do a better job at deploying (and training....) resources. And this ride is lacking in lightsaber action (the most iconic weapon in the history of cinema). Star Wars films (not including the last 2 movies) always included thrilling lightsaber action sequences that build towards a climatic lightsaber duel. I was expecting to see one on this ride and was very disappointed that it was missing.

With that being said, I enjoy Galaxy's Edge and think ROTR is awesome, however, I expected both to be better and far more immersive. My preferred DHS announcement would be to expand Galaxy's Edge and to enhance/integrate/introduce interactive, themed and performance elements to realize the potential of this land (that does not involve the use of the app). I would also like to see a plan to replace/update The Little Mermaid Voyage and Star Wars Launch Bay with new attractions/shows (that aren't a simple refresh - give me something new and not already represented in one of the parks). Sprinkle in that Indiana Jones boat ride you all were floating around a few years ago with a refresh of the live action show and I would be very happy. And for the love of Yoda can we can get some lightsaber love that doesn't require me to pay $200 to build a toy that I can buy for $30 elsewhere. No excuses - the parks are printing money and all 4 parks at WDW need to add capacity and feel like a cohesive, finished product (escaping the constant work in progress feel of recent years).

Kamikaze

Am I crazy for thinking that it’s actually intended to celebrate recent new things (e.g. since the pandemic) and upcoming stuff? Like, Narissa for Disenchanted, Mulan for the recent remake, the candle for Encanto, the Xandarian starblaster for Cosmic Rewind, Indy for the upcoming movie, SEA for the new series, etc.? I assume it’s more a celebration of recent successes and things soon to come rather than the history of the company.
Recency bias. Its also very difficult to fit all 100 years of stuff on one poster.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Guardians, Indy, Mulan, and Enchanted are all big parts of Disney history. The S.E.A. is a fan favorite storyline around the world, and Encanto was inescapable for months. All of those being on the poster is a no-brainer.

None of the mentioned movies are "big parts of Disney history", nor is Monsters, Inc. "important to the legacy".

It's a poster put together by a bunch of college graduates with little experience at the behest of managers who have little practical knowledge of the company's history. It is what it is, don't read into what is or is not on it.

DCLcruiser

None of the mentioned movies are "big parts of Disney history", nor is Monsters, Inc. "important to the legacy".

It's a poster put together by a bunch of college graduates with little experience at the behest of managers who have little practical knowledge of the company's history. It is what it is, don't read into what is or is not on it.
Eric Tan is the artist (see bottom right corner). He did the recent EPCOT series.

UNCgolf

I agree, which is why it's that much worse that it does more to celebrate WDW's 50th anniversary than the actual celebration.

This is also what they did with Disney Enchantment for the most part -- it's heavily focused on Disney/Pixar products from the last decade.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Anyone else think Disney is going to replace the winnie the pooh rides sometime in the future? Lol

Definitely. Pooh doesn't want to lose weight to portray the body image that Disney wants to portray (since he likes honey so much) so Disney is looking to move on from him and his whole crew. And apparently Kanga is a tough negotiator, Tigger is difficult to work with, and Eeyore has a bit of a substance problem. They're just going to cut their losses at this point and bring in new, diverse and inclusive characters, this time from the Renewable, Eco-Friendly, Carbon Neutral Woods.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom