What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

Jrb1979

I'm unfamiliar with every book.. my ex was into her books and I guess that why I didn't care for it for.... Ever... But nostalgia for last time I was able to spend with my grandmother at universal made me want to go. Admittedly the only thing I remembered from that long ago was nickelodeon studios, back to the future and ET.

Clearly the only thing left is ET. It's nothing special but if Peter Pan warrants an hour plus wait, ET is worth 2.

Like I have said before, I don't care for Potter but the attention to the lands is top notch. I can't walk in there and not be in awe of work that was but into it.

I get that exact feeling from Pandora, and to a lesser extent batuu with the exception of ronto wraps... Those are pretty amazing...
Then you have my family. We aren't big on Simpsons, have never watched or read Harry Potter and not big on Jurassic Park either. We still love Universal. For us IP means little to us, what draws us are rides and how good they are.

One park we want to visit is Europa Park. One of the best theme parks in the world.

bhg469

Then you have my family. We aren't big on Simpsons, have never watched or read Harry Potter and not big on Jurassic Park either. We still love Universal. For us IP means little to us, what draws us are rides and how good they are.

One park we want to visit is Europa Park. One of the best theme parks in the world.
I honestly didn't even think of the Simpsons. The last time I went to universal, I walked into Moe's and got very choked up. While I think the flaming Moe was a big miss. The actual walk inside of Moe's was admittedly a very touching moment for me.

TTA94

Correct, but the buildup here seems different this time. The usual folks that drop hints and possible plans are very quiet. Can you name a project of substance that will be announced that has been talked about here in the last couple of months? I may be missing something, but I can’t.

I think many insiders are disgusted and gave up following projects due to the decisions Disney has been making. There may be some things in the works and to be announced, but it could be older projects that had gotten postponed due to the pandemic. Could also be insiders do not want to comment on anything because to many things have been fluid from the pandemic and to hard to follow what’s on, what’s off and what’s still being considered.

BlakeW39

I have been on this forum a very long time. My views have changed tremendously regarding the parks. My interest in the parks have always been on the engineering side but Disney had a special feel about it especially it's original ideas.

Same reason I wouldn't be caught dead at a character meal or pay an additional fee for an after hours party to meet Jack skelington.

And the relevance of this is..?

Calling Harry Potter fans introverted dorks is a bit rude was my point. And from a person in a more niche fandom, who most people would also call dorks, I don't really see where it generates from. And I'm not even a Potter fan really.

IMDREW

I just can’t get over the blatant copying of Europa park. I mean, the spaceship earth design, Pirates of Batavia, Universe of Energy? Come on.

matt9112

I think the key here is that the quality of the attraction trumps the IP that may or may not exist. Now to be fair I do believe IP attractions likely hold a massive merch advantage profit wise however merch should be a secondary ancillary function. Yet we see a company that wants to position future merch sales as the reason the ride exists.

doctornick

I remember the buildup to the last several D23 events here. Rumors flying everywhere, insiders dropping hints, and new accounts with mountain of salt needed prognostications. It seems like crickets this time, which means one of three things…..
1. Insiders lost their sources (unlikely).
2. Insiders just don’t care anymore (possible).
3. We aren’t getting anything of substance that isn’t already known (most likely).

imo, ymmv, batteries not included, etc etc.

The only positive indication I've seen recently here is that @ToTBellHop mentioned that the purse strings for the parks were being "loosened" on the heels of the positive financial report.

I'd like to think that it would mean that some proposed or planned things that had not been funded might now be shifted to being greenlight and will be built in upcoming years. But I wouldn't want to get my hopes up.

matt9112

The only positive indication I've seen recently here is that @ToTBellHop mentioned that the purse strings for the parks were being "loosened" on the heels of the positive financial report.

I'd like to think that it would mean that some proposed or planned things that had not been funded might now be shifted to being greenlight and will be built in upcoming years. But I wouldn't want to get my hopes up.

Although this is good on its face let’s be honest disney SPENDS a lot of on the parks. It’s never been a “man I wish they spent more” to me. It’s always been a why does x cost so damn much.

Brer Panther

I think the key here is that the quality of the attraction trumps the IP that may or may not exist. Now to be fair I do believe IP attractions likely hold a massive merch advantage profit wise however merch should be a secondary ancillary function.
This brings to mind a story that Rolly Crump likes to tell about Walt: apparently, somebody in merchandising kept badgering Walt to put multiple t-shirt shops all over Disneyland. Walt didn't like the idea. After the guy said for a third time that it would make them lots of money, Walt finally snapped, "Mr. [WHOEVER], the tail does not wag the dog!"

Nowadays, the tail DOES wag the dog.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
My Expectations for D23 are muted:

-Formal announcement of Disneyland Tarzan Treehouse Retheme
-More details on Frog Mountain
-Opening Time Frame for Tron
-Opening Time Frame for Moana
-Updates on the new Cruise Ships (details on some of the restaurants/themeing)
-Have the new Walt statue for EPCOT on site for people to take pics with
-Play Pavilion Up-Date (maybe a preview of some of the games/update on opening)

Anything else would be icing, but I'm not expecting much...

ppete1975

Im actually scared of D23 ok... very concerned. Unlike many of you that go every year or more. I go about every 5 years... when i go next year its been 9 years (after going back to back years), and several times in the 80s 90s.

I dont expect to return again for a very long time. Other places in this world i want to explore including disneyland. Being in Oklahoma is its a more expensive trip compared to locals.

That being said, Im nervous about ride closures. I can see splash, spaceship earth, among others closed for refurbs rethemes. I honestly expect a shocker for this D23.. one we arent expecting that will close a ride favorite. Esp since they dont believe in addition anymore.

since it takes 5 years for disney to build anything im just hoping in april to have as little closed and the railroad reopened.

TTA94

My expectations entertainment wise:

1. Magic Happens return (Disneyland)
2. MSEP resuming or PTN return (Disneyland or DCA)
3. New nighttime show (Disneyland)
4. Some changes to WoC for the 100th (DCA)
5. HEA return (MK)
6. Some type of 100th cavalcade (MK)
7. Return of F! (DHS)

Anything else or different will be a nice surprise but not gonna hold my breath.

RSoxNo1

While Universal lacks in theming in some areas, they do a good job in balancing thrills and rides the whole family can ride. The only unfortunate thing is how many Disney fans won't give them a chance due not liking a lot of the IP. Whatever happened to enjoying a ride regardless of IP. Forbidden Journey is on the level of a Disney attraction. I'm not into Potter at all but still loved the attraction.
Name 3 rides that a child under 2 can go on.

The reality is until Universal has better design choices on the rides that should be family friendly (Spinners, Cat in the Hat, etc) they will continue to be second fiddle. They may not want the parents with young kids, but that's a poor choice.

matt9112

My Expectations for D23 are muted:

-Formal announcement of Disneyland Tarzan Treehouse Retheme
-More details on Frog Mountain
-Opening Time Frame for Tron
-Opening Time Frame for Moana
-Updates on the new Cruise Ships (details on some of the restaurants/themeing)
-Have the new Walt statue for EPCOT on site for people to take pics with
-Play Pavilion Up-Date (maybe a preview of some of the games/update on opening)

Anything else would be icing, but I'm not expecting much...

At this point I hope the play pavilion gets some kind of big revamp cash infusion. Even if it’s going to be a glorified kids area I hope they do it well.

matt9112

Name 3 rides that a child under 2 can go on.

The reality is until Universal has better design choices on the rides that should be family friendly (Spinners, Cat in the Hat, etc) they will continue to be second fiddle. They may not want the parents with young kids, but that's a poor choice.

Poor choice or necessary choice? Nothing universal does will ever be fantasyland or the magic kingdom so with that said I think it’s a necessary evil to avoid going toe to toe. At least historically. These days I think there more up to the challenge of competing with disney.

RSoxNo1

Poor choice or necessary choice? Nothing universal does will ever be fantasyland or the magic kingdom so with that said I think it’s a necessary evil to avoid going toe to toe. At least historically. These days I think there more up to the challenge of competing with disney.
Poor choice.

We are checking my oldest daughter's height before buying Universal tickets wanting to make sure there's enough for her to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom