What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

fgmnt

I’ll do you one better: didn’t chapek just say several weeks ago that they were gonna try to “find the money” for the canceled avengers and Mary poppins rides??

And this was after they slow rolled construction in Orlando that started in like 2013 that’s just now finishing?

Doesn’t seem like a “corporate willingness” to go big.

The one…and I mean ONE…potential upside (there’s 2, actually) to the whole Florida fight could be Slaphead feels the heat and at least announces things in an attempt to “look strong” and divert attention. Somebody’s stock is heading towards $110 on the slide today
Orlando getting the half of the plans shelved over the last 5 years brought back to life as a new announcement would be just perfect.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Orlando getting the half of the plans shelved over the last 5 years brought back to life as a new announcement would be just perfect.
None of those were great - if I recall?

But there are very easy/obvious things that could be down

Redo imagination. Buildout expansion or two in showcase….redo dinoland…connect Hollywood boulevard though animation courtyard and improve some dead weight there…

Maybe time to get Tomorrowland back up to snuff?

None of this is Mensa stuff

Last edited:

fgmnt

None of those were great - if I recall?
Let me be clear, this is not an endorsement beyond me finding it to be comedic. Bleak, but comedic.

Announcing a major new attraction and/or replacement for a removed/crippled attraction in all 4 of the parks before EU opens seems like a slam dunk but I would sooner wait for more realistic things to happen, like single-payer healthcare in America.

Door Coaster

Redo imagination. Buildout expansion or two in showcase….redo dinoland…connect Hollywood boulevard though animation courtyard and improve some dead weight there…

Maybe time to get Tomorrowland back up to snuff?
Door Coaster, RSR, that Avengers coaster, the Quinjet, the theater, Mary Poppins, Tronway...so many opportunities.

BlakeW39

Hagrids is the best ride in Orlando by a wide margin…

It’s a shame many here won’t ever believe that

Lol 💀

Well first of all, wide margin is excessive. I've ridden hagrid's in the last two weeks twice and it's not even the best ride at Islands of Adventure by a 'wide margin.' And I definitely think IoA is the best park in Orlando albeit again not by a 'wide margin,' that's midly emotionally driven language derived from a place of bias. It's one of the best for sure, but it has flaws like all the others do. I like the ride so much I don't over readily point them out, and it's new so we aren't too hard on it yet (especially because we Disney fans are a bit biased, seeing Universal as doing what Disney needs to do and viewing them in turn with rose tinted glasses...). But it has marked flaws.

Forbidden Journey still might be better. Maybe not. Splash Mountain and Kilimanjaro Safaris at MK and DAK are certainly on par and when on point are nearly flawless imo. VelociCoaster as an rc is also not to be trifled with.

BlakeW39

No slight on Hagrids, but it's the 3rd best ride in that park.

Thank you.

Anyone who says Hulk is fooling themselves. It's okay to be a coaster person but understand you're being biased and weighing coasters as a ride system with unfair weight compared to other attractions. Hulk is fun but that's about where it stops, with two better launch coasters in that park alone. From someone who's been to Cedar Point more times than he can count.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lol 💀

Well first of all, wide margin is excessive. I've ridden hagrid's in the last two weeks twice and it's not even the best ride at Islands of Adventure by a 'wide margin.' And I definitely think IoA is the best park in Orlando albeit again not by a 'wide margin,' that's midly emotionally driven language derived from a place of bias. It's one of the best for sure, but it has flaws like all the others do. I like the ride so much I don't over readily point them out, and it's new so we aren't too hard on it yet (especially because we Disney fans are a bit biased, seeing Universal as doing what Disney needs to do and viewing them in turn with rose tinted glasses...). But it has marked flaws.

Forbidden Journey still might be better. Maybe not. Splash Mountain and Kilimanjaro Safaris at MK and DAK are certainly on par and when on point are nearly flawless imo. VelociCoaster as an rc is also not to be trifled with.
I haven’t been on velocicoaster yet…it’s seems to meet the hype.

I like forbidden journey…not as much.

The two older marvel rides are still strong

BlakeW39

I haven’t been on velocicoaster yet…it’s seems to meet the hype.

I like forbidden journey…not as much.

The two older marvel rides are still strong

I rode VelociCoaster and Steel Vengeance at CP both for the first time about a month apart in 2021. I thought VelociCoaster was better. As did 2/3 of the people with me. For what it's worth.

RSoxNo1

I figured I'd look to see where / when rumors surfaced ahead of recent D23 Expo announcements...

TRON: Lightcycle Run
  • October, 20, 2016: .com listed a series of rumors, one of which involves the TRON Lightcycle ride from Shanghai Disneyland being reproduced in Tomorrowland.
  • March 19, 2017: On Episode 123 of the Unofficial Guide’s Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill, Jim and Len discuss the possibility of the TRON Coaster from Shanghai Disneyland replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway. This would be done for the 50th Anniversary of the park in 2021 and largely be contingent on the success of TRON 3, should it get made.
  • July 10, 2017: .com is reporting that the TRON Lightcycle attraction from Shanghai Disneyland will replace the Tomorrowland Speedway by 2020/2021 and it will be officially announced on July 15th at the D23 Expo.
  • July 10, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that the TRON Lightcycle attraction will not be replacing the Speedway but will be added “behind” the Speedway and the full explanation will be revealed at the D23 expo. He indicated in a later post that a new theme is likely for the Speedway.
  • July 15, 2017: At the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney officially confirmed that a TRON Attraction will be added to Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom.

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
  • October 26, 2014: At a TouringPlans sponsored event in New Jersey as well as on the TouringPlans Twitter feed, Jim Hill reported that the trackless ride system will not be added to Hollywood Studios until they replace Great Movie Ride.
  • December 12, 2014: In a series of tweets, @JimHillMediarevealed details on several components of the Hollywood Studios expansion. This included an update on The Great Movie Ride: The Great Movie Ride overhaul that will follow the Turner Classic Movies changes will take place in 2020-2021 when the Star Wars and Pixar components are brought on line. (Tweet)
  • August 2, 2016: WDWMagic.com user TheVisionarySoul is reporting that The Great Movie Ride would be closing in 2018 to make way for a new attraction. User Lee also indicated that the building would be gutted and rebuilt with a new ride system.
  • August 3, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that The Great Movie Ride is expected to close next year with the new attraction opening in 2019.
  • August 3, 2016: .com is reporting that The Great Movie Ride is expected to close in 2018 with a new attraction called “The Great Mickey Ride”. The story was later confirmed by WDWMagic.com users Lee and marni1971.
  • July 15, 2017: At the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney officially confirmed that a new ride called Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
  • July 3, 2015: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 has reported that the portion of the $3 billion+ budget coming to Walt Disney World that will be allocated to Epcot could be used for upgrades at the Energy Pavilion and Imagination Pavilion.
  • March 19, 2016: In a follow up post on WDWMagic.com user WDW1974is reporting that Disney is looking to overhaul Tower of Terror at Disney’s California Adventure with a Guardians of the Galaxy theme. The area near Tower of Terror in California has previously been rumored to become a Marvel themed area. In a subsequent post he explained that the concept would be a visit to The Collector’s mansion. Per his report, the overhaul is being seriously considered for Disney’s Hollywood Studios as well.
  • April 19, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that while the budget for this project hasn’t been approved for Fiscal Year 2017 it is, “almost a done deal for Anaheim and still likely for Orlando.”
  • June 13, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that it looks like the Tower of Terorr project is dead for Orlando.
  • June 28, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy is likely headed to one of two pavilions in Epcot’s Future World.
  • June 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy will be replacing Ellen’s Energy Adventure. Additionally, a potential Phase 2 could expand the Guardians of the Galaxy area to include the Wonders of Life area as well.
  • August 5, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that alternative proposals do exist related to Guardians of the Galaxy and The Great Movie Ride.
  • October 27, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy is no longer being considered as a replacement for Ellen’s Energy Adventure.
  • October 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that his sources have told him that Guardians of the Galaxy has been green lit for the Energy Pavilion.
  • November 19, 2016: At the D23 “Destination D” event, Chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts, Bob Chapek stated that the Tower of Terror at Walt Disney World will not be rethemed to Guardians of the Galaxy.
  • May 26, 2017: On the latest episode of the Unofficial Guide’s Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill discusses the permit for work taking place behind the Ellen’s Energy Adventure Pavilion and describes it as the first move of a $2 billion investment into Epcot. The project is expected to take at least 5 years extending beyond 2021.
  • July 5, 2017: On the July premium episode of the Unofficial Guide’s Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill mentions that the re-routing of canals is directly related to the Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. The layout would call for a new facility housing the attraction behind the existing Universe of Energy/Ellen’s Energy Adventure Pavilion. The current building would be used predominantly for load/unload and a gift shop.
  • July 8, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 indicated that the alternate proposal for an Ellen’s Energy Replacement was themed around the Big Bang.
  • July 15, 2017: At the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney officially confirmed that a Guardians of the Galaxy Attraction will replace Ellen’s Energy Adventure.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My thoughts on what’s to come

Epcot
  • Play Pavilion Opening Timeframe
  • Moana Opening Timeframe
  • Update on SSE clarified
  • New Harmonious Segment
Magic Kingdom
  • Updated HEA returning
  • More Splash Mountain details
Hollywood Studios
  • Star Wars Dinner Show
Animal Kingdom
  • Primeval Whirl replacement
Not unreasonable

I bet primeval whirl is “nothing to see here” for quite some time - however.

The Bob’s have no problems just taking stuff away and acting as if it’s good for everyone

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I figured I'd look to see where / when rumors surfaced ahead of recent D23 Expo announcements...

• October, 20, 2016: *****.com listed a series of rumors, one of which involves the TRON Lightcycle ride from Shanghai Disneyland being reproduced in Tomorrowland.
  • March 19, 2017: On Episode 123 of the Unofficial Guide’s Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill, Jim and Len discuss the possibility of the TRON Coaster from Shanghai Disneyland replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway. This would be done for the 50th Anniversary of the park in 2021 and largely be contingent on the success of TRON 3, should it get made.
  • July 10, 2017: *****.com is reporting that the TRON Lightcycle attraction from Shanghai Disneyland will replace the Tomorrowland Speedway by 2020/2021 and it will be officially announced on July 15th at the D23 Expo.
  • July 10, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that the TRON Lightcycle attraction will not be replacing the Speedway but will be added “behind” the Speedway and the full explanation will be revealed at the D23 expo. He indicated in a later post that a new theme is likely for the Speedway.
  • July 15, 2017: At the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney officially confirmed that a TRON Attraction will be added to Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom.

• October 26, 2014: At a TouringPlans sponsored event in New Jersey as well as on the TouringPlans Twitter feed, Jim Hill reported that the trackless ride system will not be added to Hollywood Studios until they replace Great Movie Ride.
  • December 12, 2014: In a series of tweets, @JimHillMediarevealed details on several components of the Hollywood Studios expansion. This included an update on The Great Movie Ride: The Great Movie Ride overhaul that will follow the Turner Classic Movies changes will take place in 2020-2021 when the Star Wars and Pixar components are brought on line. (Tweet)
  • August 2, 2016: WDWMagic.com user TheVisionarySoul is reporting that The Great Movie Ride would be closing in 2018 to make way for a new attraction. User Lee also indicated that the building would be gutted and rebuilt with a new ride system.
  • August 3, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that The Great Movie Ride is expected to close next year with the new attraction opening in 2019.
  • August 3, 2016: *****.com is reporting that The Great Movie Ride is expected to close in 2018 with a new attraction called “The Great Mickey Ride”. The story was later confirmed by WDWMagic.com users Lee and marni1971.
  • July 15, 2017: At the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney officially confirmed that a new ride called Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
  • July 3, 2015: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 has reported that the portion of the $3 billion+ budget coming to Walt Disney World that will be allocated to Epcot could be used for upgrades at the Energy Pavilion and Imagination Pavilion.
  • March 19, 2016: In a follow up post on WDWMagic.com user WDW1974is reporting that Disney is looking to overhaul Tower of Terror at Disney’s California Adventure with a Guardians of the Galaxy theme. The area near Tower of Terror in California has previously been rumored to become a Marvel themed area. In a subsequent post he explained that the concept would be a visit to The Collector’s mansion. Per his report, the overhaul is being seriously considered for Disney’s Hollywood Studios as well.
  • April 19, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that while the budget for this project hasn’t been approved for Fiscal Year 2017 it is, “almost a done deal for Anaheim and still likely for Orlando.”
  • June 13, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that it looks like the Tower of Terorr project is dead for Orlando.
  • June 28, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy is likely headed to one of two pavilions in Epcot’s Future World.
  • June 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy will be replacing Ellen’s Energy Adventure. Additionally, a potential Phase 2 could expand the Guardians of the Galaxy area to include the Wonders of Life area as well.
  • August 5, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that alternative proposals do exist related to Guardians of the Galaxy and The Great Movie Ride.
  • October 27, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy is no longer being considered as a replacement for Ellen’s Energy Adventure.
  • October 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that his sources have told him that Guardians of the Galaxy has been green lit for the Energy Pavilion.
  • November 19, 2016: At the D23 “Destination D” event, Chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts, Bob Chapek stated that the Tower of Terror at Walt Disney World will not be rethemed to Guardians of the Galaxy.
  • May 26, 2017: On the latest episode of the Unofficial Guide’s Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill discusses the permit for work taking place behind the Ellen’s Energy Adventure Pavilion and describes it as the first move of a $2 billion investment into Epcot. The project is expected to take at least 5 years extending beyond 2021.
  • July 5, 2017: On the July premium episode of the Unofficial Guide’s Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill mentions that the re-routing of canals is directly related to the Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. The layout would call for a new facility housing the attraction behind the existing Universe of Energy/Ellen’s Energy Adventure Pavilion. The current building would be used predominantly for load/unload and a gift shop.
  • July 8, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 indicated that the alternate proposal for an Ellen’s Energy Replacement was themed around the Big Bang.
  • July 15, 2017: At the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney officially confirmed that a Guardians of the Galaxy Attraction will replace Ellen’s Energy Adventure.
That’s a lot of digging. I’m impressed!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

• October, 20, 2016: *****.com listed a series of rumors, one of which involves the TRON Lightcycle ride from Shanghai Disneyland being reproduced in Tomorrowland.
  • July 10, 2017: *****.com is reporting that the TRON Lightcycle attraction from Shanghai Disneyland will replace the Tomorrowland Speedway by 2020/2021 and it will be officially announced on July 15th at the D23 Expo.

• August 3, 2016: *****.com is reporting that The Great Movie Ride is expected to close in 2018 with a new attraction called “The Great Mickey Ride”. The story was later confirmed by WDWMagic.com users Lee and marni1971.
This post reinforces why you should never believe the Clickbait site for accurate news. And Jim Hill still gets things right once in a while. :)

I keep saying this to everyone - Keep your expectations low. The Era of Bob demands it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom