What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

Splashin' Ryan

like the expansion of the Skyliner to all theme parks and resorts
I know this was said in jest, but wasn't the plan to expand the Skyliner eventually and why haven't we heard anything on this in a while?

Have the yearly crashes become too much of a pr battle to expand or no?
I still think many resorts could benefit from an above-ground mode of transportation

Parker41056

I'm keeping things vague to protect my sources, but these are my guesses of what we'll see announced, by Bob Chapek himself no less, at this year's D23 Expo:

MK:
Main Street Theater resurrection
New Space Mountain track
Tomorrowland retheme, including:
Stitch replacement
Tron Raceway overlay
Tron opening date
New nighttime parade, featuring your favorite Pixar and Encanto characters
Encanto M&G
New Encanto dark ride replacing Mermaid
Splash Mountain closing date
PatF opening date
Hall of Presidents closing date
Liberty Square Theater replacing HoP, featuring Encanto-based Broadway-quality show showcasing immersive storytelling based on Disney technology

Epcot:
SSE retheme featuring Encanto storytelling immersion
Play! pavilion opening date
Moana opening date
Seas refurb
Imagination refurb
Mary Poppins ride resurrection
New Columbia pavilion featuring an Encanto ride
Mt. Fuji ride in Japan
Reine River attraction at Germany
Mexico retheme with Coco overlay

DHS:
Star Tours retheme
New Indy ride replacing stunt show
New daytime parade, featuring your favorite Disney Junior characters, plus Encanto
RnRC retheme into immersive Encanto-based experience (featuring Olivia Rodrigo)
New connecting path and land between Sunset Blvd and Toy Story Land
New Encanto storytelling show replacing Frozen show

DAK:
Zootopia land
Dinoland retheme
New Nemo show
Daytime parade, featuring Mickey, Minnie, and Encanto
Yeti replaced
Kali expanded by 200%
ITTBAB replaced by Encanto 3-D movie

Upcharges:
Premium Kilimanjaro Safari Immersive Experience (animal experiences not guaranteed)
Characters+, featuring ILL purchases for the most popular Disney, Pixar, and Star Wars characters
Genie++, featuring back-door ride entrance - No more mingling with the poors in line!
Food Plan+: Special dining areas featuring unlimited beverages and buffet-style offerings (Upcharge for protein and certain dishes)
Enhanced ticket pricing that will prioritize guest satisfaction by guaranteeing 7 experiences per day (Additional experiences and daytime activations extra)

There could be some unexpected surprises announced, like the expansion of the Skyliner to all theme parks and resorts, plus Disney Springs, and a never-before-seen transportation option between AKL and DAK. But I'm sure Bob is saving a few more things as double-secret surprises at D23.

And, all of these could be completed by the time Epic Universe opens! Disney has been deliberately slow-walking things lately, and have a record number of construction crews ready to work, along with building materials that have been ordered, delivered, and are currently stockpiled in secret warehouses in and around the Orlando area. Bob wants to be seen as the second coming of Walt Disney when it comes to surprises in Orlando, and is sparing no expense to make that happen.
No way 1/3 of this would Happen. Too much Encanto and for the costs of all of this, Disney could build a 5th gate.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I know this was said in jest, but wasn't the plan to expand the Skyliner eventually and why haven't we heard anything on this in a while?

Have the yearly crashes become too much of a pr battle to expand or no?
I still think many resorts could benefit from an above-ground mode of transportation
No plans to expand the Skyliner, from what I recall.

doctornick

Nothing. Tron, Guardians, Rat - we had rumblings those were coming for years before they were formally announced. We have no rumors, nothing. Disney is going to rest on their laurels for at least half a decade, or until EU actually scares someone.

Well…

There are two large projects set for 2025 that I know of. And I’m sure minor additions as well. Shows, for example.

Casper Gutman

I like ToT as a poster, but I am unfamiliar with his track record on rumors. Maybe I'm just behind the times. But in the past, the info we had tended to be fairly clear and come from multiple trusted sources. Now, maybe Disney has gotten better about hiding our cards and/or maybe our traditional insiders have drifted away from WDW. But based on their track record, I'd be surprised if Disney doesn't stand pat for several years after the current work at EPCOT is complete.

ToTBellHop

I like ToT as a poster, but I am unfamiliar with his track record on rumors. Maybe I'm just behind the times. But in the past, the info we had tended to be fairly clear and come from multiple trusted sources. Now, maybe Disney has gotten better about hiding our cards and/or maybe our traditional insiders have drifted away from WDW. But based on their track record, I'd be surprised if Disney doesn't stand pat for several years after the current work at EPCOT is complete.
I never know what the hell I’m talking about. Ask my kids!

DisneyHead123

My impression is that Chapek is enamored with tech and secretly wishes someone else was handling the parks so that he could focus on his true love, Disney+. He cut the amazing start to finish service of a Disney vacation and replaced it with a bunch of apps and online ordering, after all, presumably with the idea that people would consider this an ok trade. What’s Magic Express when mobile ordering for quick service is available throughout the parks? This is someone who loves him some tech solutions.

So I think it will be tech heavy. There was a thread about a patent related to virtual character experiences awhile ago, maybe something like that. Maybe a Disney NFT. 😂 (Kidding, but seriously, since everyone is doing NFTs all of a sudden…) Maybe additions to the ways you can stare at your mobile phone while in the parks, or some amount of fixing the new Genie app which will be presented as An Amazing New Improvement (instead of Halfway Kinda Sorta Fixing This Crappy App That People Hate.) I don’t think Chapek is focused on the physical, 3D world so much as the virtual world, so I think that will be the focus.

doctornick

Well the main source for rumors in the past was @marni1971 and the impression I get is that he is disinterested in asking about goings on at WDW. In fact he doesn’t seem to be posting much these days.

Also in the past, IIRC we mostly heard parks rumors in the month or two before D23 not months in advance. Disney doesn’t seem to really make any definitive decisions ahead of time and I’m sure they would be even more deliberate given the pandemic. Insiders have suggested they even change their minds about stuff on the day of presentations leading to last minute changes.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well the main source for rumors in the past was @marni1971 and the impression I get is that he is disinterested in asking about goings on at WDW. In fact he doesn’t seem to be posting much these days.

Also in the past, IIRC we mostly heard parks rumors in the month or two before D23 not months in advance. Disney doesyseem to really make any definitive decisions ahead of time and I’m sure they would be even more deliberate given the pandemic. Insiders have suggested they even change their minds about stuff on the day of presentations leading to last minute changes.
I will say contrary to what I wrote a few years ago, there is a proposal to extend Skyliner. If it ever happens I don’t know. But yes, sadly your impression is right.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Before he was a bellhop, I hear that @ToTBellHop was a butler for 999 happy haunts... I wonder what that interview was like when he changed jobs?

Parker41056

I'm keeping things vague to protect my sources, but these are my guesses of what we'll see announced, by Bob Chapek himself no less, at this year's D23 Expo:

MK:
Main Street Theater resurrection
New Space Mountain track
Tomorrowland retheme, including:
Stitch replacement
Tron Raceway overlay
Tron opening date
New nighttime parade, featuring your favorite Pixar and Encanto characters
Encanto M&G
New Encanto dark ride replacing Mermaid
Splash Mountain closing date
PatF opening date
Hall of Presidents closing date
Liberty Square Theater replacing HoP, featuring Encanto-based Broadway-quality show showcasing immersive storytelling based on Disney technology

Epcot:
SSE retheme featuring Encanto storytelling immersion
Play! pavilion opening date
Moana opening date
Seas refurb
Imagination refurb
Mary Poppins ride resurrection
New Columbia pavilion featuring an Encanto ride
Mt. Fuji ride in Japan
Reine River attraction at Germany
Mexico retheme with Coco overlay

DHS:
Star Tours retheme
New Indy ride replacing stunt show
New daytime parade, featuring your favorite Disney Junior characters, plus Encanto
RnRC retheme into immersive Encanto-based experience (featuring Olivia Rodrigo)
New connecting path and land between Sunset Blvd and Toy Story Land
New Encanto storytelling show replacing Frozen show

DAK:
Zootopia land
Dinoland retheme
New Nemo show
Daytime parade, featuring Mickey, Minnie, and Encanto
Yeti replaced
Kali expanded by 200%
ITTBAB replaced by Encanto 3-D movie

Upcharges:
Premium Kilimanjaro Safari Immersive Experience (animal experiences not guaranteed)
Characters+, featuring ILL purchases for the most popular Disney, Pixar, and Star Wars characters
Genie++, featuring back-door ride entrance - No more mingling with the poors in line!
Food Plan+: Special dining areas featuring unlimited beverages and buffet-style offerings (Upcharge for protein and certain dishes)
Enhanced ticket pricing that will prioritize guest satisfaction by guaranteeing 7 experiences per day (Additional experiences and daytime activations extra)

There could be some unexpected surprises announced, like the expansion of the Skyliner to all theme parks and resorts, plus Disney Springs, and a never-before-seen transportation option between AKL and DAK. But I'm sure Bob is saving a few more things as double-secret surprises at D23.

And, all of these could be completed by the time Epic Universe opens! Disney has been deliberately slow-walking things lately, and have a record number of construction crews ready to work, along with building materials that have been ordered, delivered, and are currently stockpiled in secret warehouses in and around the Orlando area. Bob wants to be seen as the second coming of Walt Disney when it comes to surprises in Orlando, and is sparing no expense to make that happen.
You mentioen sources - what credibility do youi have?
I’d say no chance 95% of that happens. But that was the point. 😉
Oh, missed the intention then. Disney does need to respond though, and big!. It's not just the lack of activity in the pipeline it's also the removal of the magic. Removal of free fast passes, transportation, etc.. Need something original and on a fast track!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You mentioen sources - what credibility do youi have?

Oh, missed the intention then. Disney does need to respond though, and big!. It's not just the lack of activity in the pipeline it's also the removal of the magic. Removal of free fast passes, transportation, etc.. Need something original and on a fast track!
Long time park visitor and very jaded by the actions of management over the past 15+ years. I set the bar very, very low these days. Their building timelines suggest something opening before Epic Universe would already have been announced. If they are going to announce anything, it needs to happen soon along with groundbreaking, unless they are planning to retheme something in response to an entirely new park.

Animaniac93-98

Let us also not forget that just because Disney announces something at D23 doesn't mean it will actually happen...

1646342370118.png

iwilliam_23

What are the legitimate odds of seeing an Encanto-inspired attraction announced at D23? Remember, Frozen was announced the September after it's November release in 2013, and Encanto very well could be announced at the D23 Expo in the September after it's November release in 2021.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom