What will Disney and Comcast do in response to AT&T Discovery merger?

seascape

Original Poster
Disney had a deal with Discovery to carry their Herst programming on Discovery+. Now the question is will the new Warner Discovery company renew it. Now as for Comcast, if this merger and spinoff from AT&T cause Comcast to follow suit and merge Universal with another media entity and spin it off. Many analysts thought Comcast and Universal should have combined Warner and Universal and spin the company off. Now since this AT&T Discovery deal is done with no vote needed by AT&T shareholders and Malone already agreeing to it, the deal is done and Comcast can't make an offer. So the question is does this make either or both companies to respond?

Slpy3270

Disney will do nothing since their strategy is working the best compared to everyone else that isn't Netflix or Amazon. Most likely they'll double down on Nat Geo by getting rid of their A&E stake, since that brand is practically toxic now thanks to Ancient Aliens and Pawn Stars.

Comcast, I dunno. I think they'll be more strategic in what comes next.

Even with the merger WarnerMedia and Discovery still wouldn't have the scale to compete efficiently with Disney. Nobody wants to see DC Comics in the same boat as Honey Boo-Boo.

seascape

Original Poster
Disney will do nothing since their strategy is working the best compared to everyone else that isn't Netflix or Amazon. Most likely they'll double down on Nat Geo by getting rid of their A&E stake, since that brand is practically toxic now thanks to Ancient Aliens and Pawn Stars.

Comcast, I dunno. I think they'll be more strategic in what comes next.

Even with the merger WarnerMedia and Discovery still wouldn't have the scale to compete efficiently with Disney. Nobody wants to see DC Comics in the same boat as Honey Boo-Boo.
I know speeding up the purchase of Comcast's share of Hulu is nothing new but I do expect that to happen sooner as a result of this merger and the end of the pandemic. I also expect Comcast to buy something with that money rather than just paying off debt.

That said, I expect Viacom to go after Lionsgate. Both those companies need to be bigger to compete and that leaves Sony and MGM as the remaining prizes available in the studio business.

MarvelCharacterNerd

That said, I expect Viacom to go after Lionsgate. Both those companies need to be bigger to compete and that leaves Sony and MGM as the remaining prizes available in the studio business.
Think MGM would still pair nicely with/help bulk up Warner and Sony needs to send Spidey home to Disney. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom