What will be the next change in an attraction?

What attraction do you think is most likely to change at WDW?

• American Adventure

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Country Bear Jamboree

Votes: 19 16.7%
  • Carousel of Progress

• Jungle Cruise

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Hall of Presidents

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • Haunted Mansion

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (again)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • The Enchanted Tiki Room

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (post below)

• Tom Sawyer Island

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

tl77

I voted "other" because I think it's really weird, and somewhat insulting that Pocahontas "Meets & Greets" in the park for animals... instead of Frontierland

aliceismad

I voted "other" because I think it's really weird, and somewhat insulting that Pocahontas "Meets & Greets" in the park for animals... instead of Frontierland
To play devil's advocate, aren't a couple of major themes of Animal Kingdom the environment/conservation and learning about places/cultures other than one's own? And isn't that also true for Pocahontas?

Also, now the park contains Avatar, which also has a conservation message and a plot that deals with ethnocentrism. (On a side note, it is interesting to consider the white savior and noble savage tropes in those movies in relation to the Park as a whole.)

aliceismad

It's better than nothing. I mean what were you expecting? Blacks make up only 13% of the US population so it wouldn't make sense to have the entire show dedicated to them not to mention they don't make up a majority of WDW's customer base.
I really don't care what Disney does with American Adventure, but are you assuming that only Black people are interested in seeing Black history? It would behoove us as a society to learn about our joint history from a multicultural perspective rather than the European/Caucasian bent that has been taught in schools for decades. Isn't

Also, while your 13% statistic is correct, it was projected that the majority of children alive in the United States by mid-2020 (that is, right now) will be children of color.

tl77

To play devil's advocate, aren't a couple of major themes of Animal Kingdom the environment/conservation and learning about places/cultures other than one's own? And isn't that also true for Pocahontas?

Also, now the park contains Avatar, which also has a conservation message and a plot that deals with ethnocentrism. (On a side note, it is interesting to consider the white savior and noble savage tropes in those movies in relation to the Park as a whole.)
Well my point is that when Disneyland first opened, their Frontierland area hosted actual Native American tribes preforming and teaching the park guest about their culture... similarly you see this in Epcot's World Showcase, with performers and musician from the different host counties today... but in Disneyland the areas where the Native American performances once were is where The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and Winnie the Pooh are today.

In Magic Kingdom there's still plenty of unused land around The Rivers of America to do something like that, and make the "American History" area of Magic Kingdom a little more inclusive

WEDfan9798

I think that’s a ridiculous statement. I’m Hispanic and whenever I watch the Tiki Room, in no way am I offended because I know it’s rooted in fun and wholeheartedness. Disney didn’t make Tiki room to offend people.
Agreed. I'm Mexican and it's a cute show. Reminds me of my grandparents...

JIMINYCR

HoP.... Well now that Biden will be inaugurated, Disneys going to have to work on designing his AA and record a speech ... and to be proactive, ( because bets are in that Biden wont hold office for 4 yrs.) get a Harris model worked up too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom