What wdw land needs to be totally reworked.

cookiee_munster

I would say change Tomorrow to Discoverland. Like Tokyo DisneySea or Disneyland Paris. The 1800s vision of future would keep the land relevant and forward thinking without the need to update every 7-10 years.
It would have been a great way to go, to keep the lands technological/space/future feel without the need for constant updates to make it as futuristic as possible. It's a shame that the Tron ride has dashed that idea to convert it to some kind of Discoveryland aesthetic like the Paris park. I honestly don't know how you could Verne/Steampunk up something like Trons fluid/modern looking canopy.

I have to agree with a lot of the comments on here. I'd say that Tomorrowland and Dinoland are in dire need of some kind of thematic/story cohesion. AND more rides...

Fox&Hound

Animation Courtyard has no purpose now that the Magic of Disney Animation's been turned into a Star Wars museum. I still think that they should bulldoze it and build Monstropolis.

I agree. Dust off the door coaster plans, bring over MILF from MK, and add a Harry Hausen's Restaurant with an animatronic octopus monster as chef. Fingers crossed the new "Monster's at Work" in a smash hit at Disney+ and they decide to finally act. Monsters Inc is a beloved franchise and deserves more love for sure!

castlecake2.0

How about the Big tent in between both of them needs to finally go away
That’d definitely be part of the plans. Add a mr toad dark ride, and create a second QSR restaurant for Canada and Uk, it could share the same kitchen and just be themed differently on the sides facing the pavilions. Canada needs a proper QSR and rose and crown is getting too cramped for the amount of demand it has.

vikescaper

I would say Future World but since that is in process of being butchered, I’ll go with Tomorrowland. It’s a mishmash of Tomorrowland 71 and 94 and needs a cohesive architectural language. It also needs a replacement for Stitch and probably Laugh Floor. Buzz, CoP, Space all need to be brought into the 21st century.

Club Cooloholic

Here’s a controversial opinion. From a personal standpoint, I enjoyed attractions like Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground, The Boneyard, and Playhouse Disney a ton when I was a young child. As a believer in Walt Disney’s vision, though, I think their existence directly conflicts with the idea of “a family park where parents and children could have fun- together.” Disney attractions should be accessible to all ages, and I don’t think Playhouse Disney accomplishes that goal.
I enjoyed watching my kids dance and all to the show, and we were together. So much of the Studios is for older kids and adults this fills that need. Far better than the lounges that now populate the parks. I don't think think a bar serving 20 dollar cocktails was part of Walt's vision of a family park, yet here we are today.

Chicken Guy

I enjoyed watching my kids dance and all to the show, and we were together. So much of the Studios is for older kids and adults this fills that need. Far better than the lounges that now populate the parks. I don't think think a bar serving 20 dollar cocktails was part of Walt's vision of a family park, yet here we are today.
I’m sure Walt enjoyed watching his kids on that Carousel at the park where he got the idea for Disneyland, too. Of course a parent enjoys when their child is having fun, but it’s not the actual show that is providing fun for the parent; it’s their child’s reaction to the show. And I never said I liked the bars, either. A detestation of “children’s” attractions does not imply a preference for “adult” attractions. Maybe this just means MGM Studios wasn’t built right from the start and should offer more family entertainment.

Heppenheimer

Or maybe... hear me out... just actually complete it for once. Whichever way you go, maybe actually finish the project instead of 1/2 doing it and saying, "oh.. we were going to do more but Paris|Shanghai|other excuse stopped it."
True, I'd rather have an imperfect theme with full attractions, than a perfect theme with buildings standing empty or underused... or worst of all, a "Tomorrowland" with the decaying remains of a former attraction within full view.

bennyw01

I get what they were going for when they made it feel like you were in a neighborhood cheap uncared for dirty hot pavement carnival, but I don't think it was a great idea.

Yeah totally, Ive even defending the theming on here before with the road in the middle acting as your classic roadside attraction near to where Dino bones have been found at the institute. However Primevil Whirl being removed the whole area has lost its anchor attraction, its dead space, I wonder what can be done! hence why I was like 'dunno' cause the space is big, but not that big!

Sue_Vongello

I'll be the odd one out ... Pandora

There's no emotional connection to that land for me or in my non-sanctioned, impromptu, non-scientific poll of people I know. And I feel like if you asked most people, if you could keep the attractions and retheme it, most people would be fine with a different theme. Just my opinion. And I would retheme it to Wakanda, it makes perfect sense right next to the Africa land, and much of the themeing could remain with some minor reworking and general cleaning up of the distressed elements.

SteamboatJoe

Dinoland USA (the full land) is totally fine and there absolutely should be representation of dinosaurs in DAK. Nothing wrong with Dinosaur (the ride), the concept of the Dino Institute, the Boneyard, Restaurantosaurus, etc.

Dino-Rama (the carnival area) is a different story and I can understand people wanting it gone and replaced. That can easily be done by removing just that area and replacing it with something of value befitting the Dinoland USA theme (e.g. Excavator roller coaster or some dark ride like the dino part of UoE).

I think it is important to distinguish between the two, as getting with of all the dinosaur staff would be a bad idea and an example of "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".
The challenges are both of Disney's dinosaur films have underwhelmed and Universal Studios is always going to be able to do dinosaurs better because of Jurassic Park. It somewhat begs the question should they just try to do something else there?

Dinosaurs is a difficult theme to pull off as well as you have to theme it in the present looking backward (as is the current case) or give it a prehistoric theme which would render its marquee attraction out of place. Not to mention that a quasi-accurate pre-historic theme would lack a unique sense of place relateable to humans.

I suppose other paths would be an alternative universe dinosaur world akin to the old Dinosaurs television series, which is too old and obscure for a land, or some sort of Flintstone-esque vibe which doesn't really exist in Disney's IP library.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

I'm just gonna say, I don't understand all the votes for Tomorrowland. Remember, the question is "totally reworked". Any time Disney destroys a historic area and reworks it, they upset so many people. Do we really want them to eff up Space Mountain, the Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, and Buzz Light Year? I think this area needs some TLC, but a complete rework is not in order.

Tron is already replacing the Speedway, so how much is really left? I'd say bring Alien Encounter back, refurb Peoplemover to make it more reliable and bring back the soundtrack/voice-over from 15 years ago, and we're good to go. 😁
I agree, we aren't getting the Jules Verne steam punk Tomorrowland. That theme should be pocketed for a major expansion elsewhere or the mythical, ever elusive, and probably not happening anytime soon if ever 5th gate.

The fixes for Tomorrowland are to give it a consistent, cohesive aesthetic by actually finishing the project for once, not focusing so much on space, and not pigeonholing it into a certain time period. Let it just be a a sci-fi land unified by portals or dimensions that take you to different places be they real or virtual.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom