What was your first Disney marathon?

frank2271

I got lucky - I was in the first corral and finished all three parts in about 58 minutes... and finished only about 10 minutes before it poured. I stood under cover and watched everyone else coming in, soaked to the bone. :p

It started raining for us right after the obstacle course. We were running through 12 inch deep rivers inside AK. The clue book just fell apart. We made the best of it, laughed a lot. :ROFLOL:

lukacseven

Disney was my first marathon...In 2006, I stood outside by the pool at All-Star Sports for 2 hours in 26 degree weather waiting for the shuttle to the start line. Then in 2007, it was 89 degrees at the start of the marathon.

Last year, 29 degrees and windy, but Disney is a great place for a first-time experience, if Florida weather cooperates. Disney had become the measuring stick to which all other races are compared. Few have even come close - none can match it.

Blueliner

I ran my first Disney Marathon in 2007. I really enjoyed the race, but my performance was a little disappointing.

We combined a family vacation with the marathon. To accomodate the kids' school schedules, we toured the parks during the week prior to the race. I stayed off my feet on the Saturday before the race (except for packet pick-up), but that was not enough to recover from five long, fun-filled days in the parks. I knew within the first 3-4 miles that my feet and legs were going to be sore the whole race, so I made my peace with the idea that I was going to be slow. From that point, I kind of freed myself to take it all in.

I loved running in the parks and wish there was a way to incorporate more of the miles inside them. When we ran into the Magic Kingdom and onto Main Street through a backstage area near Space Mountain, U2's "City of Blinding Lights" was being pumped through the surrounding speakers. U2 is my favorite band of all time (minus most of the 90's - I'll forgive them for Zooropa and Pop), and that song is one of my favorites. Every time I listen to that song, I think of running on Main Street.

It was unseasonably hot, and the out and back stretch between DAK and DHS was particularly brutal. Once we got into DHS, I thought the route was great, even though we had some concrete to deal with on the path between DHS and Epcot.

Hopefully I'll get back for the marathon with the next couple of years. We're planning on the Wine and Dine 1/2 in October, which ought to be a lot of fun.

DisneyRunner

I did the inaugural Disney Princess Half with my sister. I was training with her. My husband surprised me and said I could go, too. Not the best performance, as I had a respiratory illness. I finished the race, walked some and took pictures with the characters. I came all that way and wanted that medal. At some point, I would like to run something at Disney with my husband.

bdevil4

My first Disney race was the 2005 Race for the Taste. I will be doing the Wine and Dine half in October, which will be my first ever mini. Definitely planning on doing the Walt Disney World full marathon at some point in the next few years!

MCC1

My first WDW Marathon was in 2000, bringing in the new Millenium. Ran in 08', 09', and 2010 as well - set my P.R. in 2000 I'm still chasing...back in 2000 we started marathon on one side of the road, and 1/2 marathon on other side merging 4 miles in and then splitting again after Magic Kingdom when 1/2 finished in parking lots there, marathoners went on. Magical day - this year 10 years later, was probably the most unpleasant of my 4 there with the figid temps for the marathon, and the sleet for the 1/2 the day before. Still one of my fav's...

lukacseven

I heard there was some discussion to modify the January half course a few years ago and start in the parking lot of the T&T Center, follow the current course from there through MK, then continue south on World drive to Buena Vista and pick-up the marathon route behind Tower of Terror. Then follow to the current finish.

MCC1

I heard there was some discussion to modify the January half course a few years ago and start in the parking lot of the T&T Center, follow the current course from there through MK, then continue south on World drive to Buena Vista and pick-up the marathon route behind Tower of Terror. Then follow to the current finish.

That'd be interesting...would let 1/2 runners traverse more park territory and less no-mans land roadways...and not give up that priceless running through castle photo!

I'm hoping to do my first Disney 1/2 in the next couple of years. Hoping for 2012 or 2013. I'm coming off 3 stress fractures in my legs so I have to make sure I take things slow and don't over do it. I plan to do my first 5K in my home town this fall and then some 10Ks early next year progressing to 1/2 marathons shortly thereafter.

OG Runner

I don't know if anyone will even see this. I see the last response was in 2010. My first Disney Marathon was supposed to be the very
first one in 1994. Unfortunately my trip got cancelled. Funny thing though, back then they mail you your shirt and I still have it. My
first one run, after watching a few YouTube videos was 2014. If you treat it more like an event than a race you will enjoy it more and
I did fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom