What to study to become an Imagineering creative director? (any insider info?)

sallyslater

Original Poster
Hi! I've been stalking these forums for YEARS and this is my first post!

I want to become a creative director for WDI one day and was wondering what I should study. I'm currently thinking about pursuing a design-related degree and possibly minoring in business? What would you all suggest?

Also, what are some different creative careers in Imagineering other than being a creative director? And what are some tips for getting into Imagineering in the first place?

Thanks! :)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

I want to become a creative director for WDI one day and was wondering what I should study. I'm currently thinking about pursuing a design-related degree and possibly minoring in business? What would you all suggest?

Also, what are some different creative careers in Imagineering other than being a creative director? And what are some tips for getting into Imagineering in the first place?

Sadly, we might not be able to help you here. This forum is more theoretical and just for fun. Just some games and projects and all.

Back when I was trying to become an Imagineer, I studied Mechanical Engineering and then did the Disney College Program. Was going to use that to get a professional internship with Disney and then use that to get a job.

But not long after my College Program ended I decided I didnt want to be an engineer. So, I can't say if this would have worked.

@kap91 might have more info on getting into imagineering

lazyboy97o

If you look at the backgrounds of different creative leaders you will see a variety of different backgrounds. There is no single path to get to what is a rather senior leadership position. What’s more important is understanding and accepting a world outside of Walt Disney Imagineering. The chances of a 20-something like Tony Baxter being given creative control and then staying with the company for 40 years are almost non-existent. There are a lot of other companies out there doing great work (and sometimes for Disney) and their smaller size can also present opportunities that might not be possible inside a larger organization. Scott Trowbridge, the creative lead on Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, spent the first half of his career at Universal. Many Imagineers now work at Universal. It’s a very transient industry with lots of people moving between companies as different projects come and go.

Last edited:

kap91

Welcome!

I'd echo what @lazyboy97o said. It's nearly impossible to target imagineering specifically - especially early on in your career. With the way world works now the best way to move up is to hop scotch around different companies working your way up the ladder. It's a lot easier to become a high ranking creative person at a small company and then transfer somewhere else than move up within the same organization from the beginning

As far as what to study - the good news is creative directors come from a variety of disciplines (though generally there seems to be a bias towards people with an art and design background). The bad news is that creative director is a mid to end of career position that many people might never reach (much like movie directing)

Therefore like movie directing, your best bet is to pursue a more specific discipline and then try to grow into directing. Now I can't promise these options would work as I still don't work inside but generally a career in show set design, concept art, maybe model-building, and maybe story artist, as well as show writer, and production coordinator/show producer all would be potential jobs that could lead to becoming a director though your mileage may very - none are guaranteed and there are probably other roads I didn't list.

As far as what to study - if you want an art or design job then that's what you're gonna want to study. For show set design and such I'd recommend a degree in production design that comes from a theatre perspective rather than film - though either would probably work. Architecture could also work. If you wanted to be more in the concept art realm then a degree in illustration would probably be a better fit. Though there's a lot of overlap. Other options might be film school, a general theatre degree, a writing program, or VFX school. A minor in business is a great idea and could help you if you chose to go the production management route. Whatever you choose you're going to want be targeting a job that you enjoy and can see yourself doing every day if the directing thing doesn't work out.

There's also a lot of themed entertainment design programs coming on to the scene now - including at the bachelors level (they used to be masters only programs). I know theres a production design degree at cal arts that has a concentration in themed entertainment, and I believe Ringling is launching one too. SCAD (where I'm going for grad school) also has a themed entertainment minor at the bachelors level. And USC I think has a minor as well. Art Center has a design for entertainment program that sort of straddles the line between these as well.

Finally - what specifically you study and how good you're at it is only half the battle. And honestly is less important than who you are as a person. The other half is learning how to work collaboratively, having a great library of experience to draw on, communicating well, being easy to get along with, being a great worker, and creating a network of people you know and that know you. So read as much as you can - about theme parks, storytelling, design, whatever other topics interest you. Meet people, go to mixers, talk to people, seek out friends and connections who are on the same path or elsewhere in the industry. And try to be a good, likeable person lol. People hire who they know and who they like and whom they're impressed by.

Hope that helps. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk more. Also highly recommend the book "Theme Park Design" by David Younger - it's so comprehensive on how the industry works and is a must read. Hope that helps! Good luck on your quest!!! Baby steps and gentleness!

kap91

Welcome!

I'd echo what @lazyboy97o said. It's nearly impossible to target imagineering specifically - especially early on in your career. With the way world works now the best way to move up is to hop scotch around different companies working your way up the ladder. It's a lot easier to become a high ranking creative person at a small company and then transfer somewhere else than move up within the same organization from the beginning

As far as what to study - the good news is creative directors come from a variety of disciplines (though generally there seems to be a bias towards people with an art and design background). The bad news is that creative director is a mid to end of career position that many people might never reach (much like movie directing)

Therefore like movie directing, your best bet is to pursue a more specific discipline and then try to grow into directing. Now I can't promise these options would work as I still don't work inside but generally a career in show set design, concept art, maybe model-building, and maybe story artist, as well as show writer, and production coordinator/show producer all would be potential jobs that could lead to becoming a director though your mileage may very - none are guaranteed and there are probably other roads I didn't list.

As far as what to study - if you want an art or design job then that's what you're gonna want to study. For show set design and such I'd recommend a degree in production design that comes from a theatre perspective rather than film - though either would probably work. Architecture could also work. If you wanted to be more in the concept art realm then a degree in illustration would probably be a better fit. Though there's a lot of overlap. Other options might be film school, a general theatre degree, a writing program, or VFX school. A minor in business is a great idea and could help you if you chose to go the production management route. Whatever you choose you're going to want be targeting a job that you enjoy and can see yourself doing every day if the directing thing doesn't work out.

There's also a lot of themed entertainment design programs coming on to the scene now - including at the bachelors level (they used to be masters only programs). I know theres a production design degree at cal arts that has a concentration in themed entertainment, and I believe Ringling is launching one too. SCAD (where I'm going for grad school) also has a themed entertainment minor at the bachelors level. And USC I think has a minor as well. Art Center has a design for entertainment program that sort of straddles the line between these as well.

Finally - what specifically you study and how good you're at it is only half the battle. And honestly is less important than who you are as a person. The other half is learning how to work collaboratively, having a great library of experience to draw on, communicating well, being easy to get along with, being a great worker, and creating a network of people you know and that know you. So read as much as you can - about theme parks, storytelling, design, whatever other topics interest you. Meet people, go to mixers, talk to people, seek out friends and connections who are on the same path or elsewhere in the industry. And try to be a good, likeable person lol. People hire who they know and who they like and whom they're impressed by.

Hope that helps. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk more. Also highly recommend the book "Theme Park Design" by David Younger - it's so comprehensive on how the industry works and is a must read. Hope that helps! Good luck on your quest!!! Baby steps and gentleness!
OH. This is a little down the road for you but I've also heard several times now that in regards to Imagineering specifically - they won't look at anything in your portfolio that uses IP. Which is ironic as hell but there ya go. So keep that in mind in your college years.

sallyslater

Original Poster
OH. This is a little down the road for you but I've also heard several times now that in regards to Imagineering specifically - they won't look at anything in your portfolio that uses IP. Which is ironic as hell but there ya go. So keep that in mind in your college years.

Thank you so much for all of your advice and I’ll definitely check out that book you mentioned!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

Driver

They actually had a casting call from within , this past week, no experience required. Just new ideas and a want to do this type of work. Many opportunities are available on the inside that are not advertised to the public.

sallyslater

Original Poster
They actually had a casting call from within , this past week, no experience required. Just new ideas and a want to do this type of work. Many opportunities are available on the inside that are not advertised to the public.

That’s interesting!!!! Thank you! How did you find out about that?

Rylie1

I would love to do the same job, i will be going to college next year and would love to hear some of the answer. I have been looking endlessly to find answer. Its almost impossible to even find what jobs are available. If you have already chosen what you are studying i would love to know 😊

ThemeParkPriest

I heard on a podcast recently that maybe UPenn has some sort of program related to theme parks (but I couldn't find it on a quick search)

A couple of paragraphs I found on https://www.collegexpress.com/artic...log/somebody-does-theme-entertainment-design/
The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) in Georgia has a curriculum dedicated to themed entertainment design, and includes courses such as “Survey of Themed Entertainment Industry,” which examines the design and operational criteria used during each phase of a project life cycle; “Large Project Design Studio,” where students replicate key phases of a large project design process; and “Off-campus Disney Imagineering,” which provides students the opportunity to participate in workshops led by Imagineers in the Walt Disney World theme parks and resorts.

Colleges and universities across the country also have on-campus organizations dedicated to educating students about the theme park industry and assisting students in using traditional degrees like engineering and physics to find success designing and building amusement parks and other attractions. For example, members of Theme Park Engineering Group at Ohio State University work with companies such as CoasterDynamix to manufacture fully operational model roller coasters and other rides. Other schools like Missouri State University have developed curricula in entertainment management to train theme park executives.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom