What to see in NYC?

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'll be spending a few days in NYC, and am trying to plan activities. I've done most of the touristy things, so am more interested in other activities. Would like to see something on Broadway, but not any of the Disney productions. (My family's decision)

Will probably spend one day in museums, as it's something we enjoy, and there is no way to see everything on one trip, so we haven't seen it all.

But are there any off the beaten path sort of things that are a personal "must-see" to those of you who live in the area? We will be as close to the West Village as possible, depending on hotel room availability. My daughter is handling that.

The Colonel

It really depends upon your interests. The 9-11 Memorial would be a must if you haven't done that yet. If you like photography, the Holy Mecca for photographers is there; B&H Photo. If you like Asian food, Little Korea is probably better than Chinatown these days. If you like music or hip watering holes, Brooklyn is now the place to be. If I were seeing something on Broadway, it would be Bruce Springsteen's one-man show, but good luck getting tickets. If you like bargain hunting, Canal Street is fun. A picnic, Governor's Island. A free boat ride; the Staten Island Ferry.

RandySavage

West Village was my old haunts. Things I would do...

Downtown
-Rent Citibikes from the numerous stands and bike Hudson River Park/bikeway around the World Financial Center (check out the Winter Garden) to the tip of Battery Park.
-From inside the air conditioned Winter Garden, take escalators down to the new WTC PATH Station main hall, by Calatrava - a modern architectural wonder (free).
-Ride the Staten Island Ferry (free) for water views of Statue of Liberty and city.
-Walk or bike across the Brooklyn Bridge... lunch at Delmonico's bar (not the expensive restaurant upstairs) on Beaver St.
-Have lunch at La Bon Bonniare on 8th Ave (inexpensive diner with amazing shakes and burgers) in the west village area and maybe share a table with a celebrity.
-Check out the (free) Alexander Hamilton Customs House (now the museum of Native Americans) for its great architecture and murals. It's at the very base of Broadway next to Battery Park.
-Corner Bistro on West 4th also has some of the best burgers/fries on earth.
-Peoplewatch in Washington Sq. Park.
-Art/Photo Galleries in SoHo (free).

High Line is nice but very crowded (the proximity reminds me of a modern theme park) when the whether is good.

Uptown
-Bike the main loop in Central Park at dusk.
-Bike Riverside park (biking is clearly my favorite way to travel/explore the city - not for everybody).
-Broadway: Hamilton or Jersey Boys.
-American Museum of Natural History
-Grammercy Park rooftop for dinner.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
No Hamilton tickets available for 4 of us - might have gotten one for $750- 850!!!! . I've already seen Jersey Boys.

We're a bit long in the tooth to do any city biking - or any long distance biking. Some of the restaurants sound interesting. Heading down to Battery Park might be a good option. As is visiting any of the parks or taking the ferry if the weather is good.

Songbird76

Carnegie Hall? I don't know how much tickets are....I suppose it depends on who is performing.

We saw Phantom of the Opera on Broadway and it was amazing, but that was in 1998.

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Carnegie Hall? I don't know how much tickets are....I suppose it depends on who is performing.

We saw Phantom of the Opera on Broadway and it was amazing, but that was in 1998.

A concert is a possibility. I've seen Phantom a few times - including Colm Wilkinson in the title role in Toronto around 1990. So not on the list. I've also seen Wicked a couple of times. Will maybe try Kinky Boots.

GabeP

As for an off the beaten path museum-may i suggest the Math Museum just south of Midtown? My kids loved it-lots of hands-on exhibits showing how math works in our everday world. It's a 3 story museum, but the footprint is small. We spent a couple of hours in there on a Saturday morning in mid Nov. last year. There are often deals/groupons for it.

For something free, Strawberry Fields at 71-74th streets in Central Park is a nice small memorial to John Lennon near his apartment building (the Dakota) where he was killed in 1980.

BuddyThomas

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I did a live trip report somewhere in chit chat, maybe two. May 2018, and either December 2017 or August 2017.

Even with my bad hip, we’re walkers, so we spend a lot of time in Central Park. Walked the whole perimeter just to say we’ve done it.

Did a self-directed famous building walking tour, checking out all the Emery Roth Buildings. CPW and the streets to the west are the best for this.

We’re going again this year in December (hello Billy Joel) and we’re going to do the Home Alone 2 locations tour. I found the list online. I think my adult sons will enjoy it.

The Tenement Museum was marvellous, although tours are generally best booked days in advance. Think ADR’s and FP selections. 😂

I don’t care if it’s touristy - the carriage ride through Central Park is awesome. Go for the longer 50-55 minute tour. Having done both the longer and shorter versions, there really is no comparison. We will also be doing this again in December with the boys.

Frozen on Broadway was wonderful! My Frozen-hating husband was determined to hate it, but nope, he was just as awestruck as both @NYwdwfan and I were.

Carmine’s in Times Square is good, satisfying food, with huge portions at decent prices. Smith and Wollensky’s was easily one of of the top three meals I’ve ever had in my life. Hubby ranked it top two. Ellen’s Stardust Cafe was fun, if not incredibly hokey.

Billy Joel was amazing, and is the main reason we are going back. Ditto the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.

Next trip, we’re probably going to split up for one afternoon while Son #1 and I hit up the Met again, and Hubby and Son #2 check out the Intrepid.

The 9/11 Memorial Museum and fountains, Staten Island Ferry, and walking the HighLine and Brooklyn Bridge are also on the agenda. Again.

We’re Midtown people, so that’s the area we know intimately. The other areas, not so much.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
One of my favorite things is to take the (guided) tour of the United Nations. Tours are from Monday through Friday, and are 45-60 minutes long. Tour tickets are $22 for adults; $15 for seniors (60 and older); $15 for students (13 and older), and $13 for children, aged 5-12. Tickets are well worth the price.

I've always found the guided tours fascinating. You'll see the General Assembly Hall, the Security Council Chamber, the Trusteeship Council Chamber, and the Economic and Social Council Chamber. Once you start the tour, you really feel the power of international relations that take place in there. (Note: sometimes, they might have a private session, and may close off (one of) the proceedings to the tours; but that would not be the case for the entire tour, though.)

I always thought it was cool that the UN is international territory--it is not a part of New York--(regardless of the fact that the buildings are built on land in Manhattan). ;) They have their own post office too (UN Postal Administration)--some of the stamps they have are very unique. (You can only use them to send mail from the UN Headquarters though.) :)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
One of my favorite things is to take the (guided) tour of the United Nations. Tours are from Monday through Friday, and are 45-60 minutes long. Tour tickets are $22 for adults; $15 for seniors (60 and older); $15 for students (13 and older), and $13 for children, aged 5-12. Tickets are well worth the price.

I've always found the guided tours fascinating. You'll see the General Assembly Hall, the Security Council Chamber, the Trusteeship Council Chamber, and the Economic and Social Council Chamber. Once you start the tour, you really feel the power of international relations that take place in there. (Note: sometimes, they might have a private session, and may close off (one of) the proceedings to the tours; but that would not be the case for the entire tour, though.)

I always thought it was cool that the UN is international territory--it is not a part of New York--(regardless of the fact that the buildings are built on land in Manhattan). ;) They have their own post office too (UN Postal Administration)--some of the stamps they have are very unique. (You can only use them to send mail from the UN Headquarters though.) :)
This made me think of something else I’d considered - scavenger hunting some of the various foreign Consulate Offices. Some of them you may just happen upon, but some require effort.

For obvious reasons, the street level buildings are far more interesting than the Consulates located on the 4th floor of a boring office tower.

https://www.embassypages.com/city/newyork

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Battery Park City is definitely worth some time of the weather is pleasant. Lovely landscaped walking/biking pathways with plenty of benches.

The Irish Famine Memorial is down there (Vesey Street) and the NYPD Line of Duty Memorial (where, unfortunately, you can find my brother’s name on the wall). The One World Trade Center Observatory is very cool. I haven’t been brave enough yet to visit the 9/11 Museum at the opposite end of the building (i.e., the basement)

Plenty of good stuff in lower Manhattan, it’s not just Wall Street anymore!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
@JenniferS spends more time in NYC than the locals!

QFT

That is so cool! Born & raised in NYC and I’ve never done this!!

This made me think of something else I’d considered - scavenger hunting some of the various foreign Consulate Offices. Some of them you may just happen upon, but some require effort.

For obvious reasons, the street level buildings are far more interesting than the Consulates located on the 4th floor of a boring office tower.

https://www.embassypages.com/city/newyork

Also very cool. I worked on Lex & 41st for several years and noticed many interesting embassy buildings during my strolls around the neighborhood.

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here are some links were you can find discount codes for a lot of Broadway shows:

http://www.playbill.com/discount?type=broadway

https://www.theatermania.com/shows/new-york-city-theater/broadway?offer=discount

My favorite show on Broadway right now is ONCE ON THIS ISLAND. I have seen it at least four times. It won Best Revival at the Tony Awards this past June and the production is absolutely amazing. Here are some scenes from it:

That looks good! I'll check with The Daughter and see if she's interested.

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just an update - I'll be staying in SoHo/Tribeca area, so Battery Park seems like a good choice. Will be near (within a block or two) Canal St subway station, so fairly easy access. Would like to do as much walking versus transit as possible. Can walk about 2 miles straight without a problem. 10 miles/day total (stops for meals, drinks, etc in between) is OK - anything over makes my feet/back hurt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom