What to look forward to in 2018 in regards to SoCal Theme Parks - OC Register

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
A good look at what is coming to California and elsewhere this year.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...t-new-theme-park-attractions-to-open-in-2018/

>>What are some of the best new rides that theme park fans have to look forward to in 2018?

Disneyland’s biggest new attraction under construction is its “Star Wars” land, Galaxy’s Edge, but that won’t open until 2019. In the meantime, Disneyland is trying to hold over fans with Pixar Fest, a collection of new and revamped shows and rides. Starting April 13, an expanded Pixar Play Parade moves over to Disneyland, while Paint the Night returns and moves to Disney California Adventure. Disneyland the same day also introduces a new fireworks show, “Together Forever – A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular,” that will bring back the projection mapping technology used in the popular Disneyland Forever fireworks show that ran during the park’s 60th anniversary Diamond Celebration.<<

>>In addition next year, Knott’s Berry Farm will introduce HangTime, a Gerstlauer Infinity model that will be the first dive coaster on the west coast, SeaWorld San Diego will open Electric Eel, a Premier Rides Sky Rocket coaster, and Universal Studios Hollywood will open DreamWorks Theatre, a 4D movie theater that replaces the Shrek 4D production with a Kung Fu Panda show. We are still awaiting specific opening dates.<<

I can't wait for Hangtime, it is already over 50% assembled, and should be completed later this month. Still will need a lot of testing though.

britain

As long as the Grand Californian Hotel is an integrated part of Grizzly Peak, I think that should do it.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I just realized I will be able to check this out in June at CoasterCon!

>>On the East Coast, Busch Gardens Williamsburg is taking the next step with virtual reality in using the technology not on a roller coaster, but on a Soarin’-like flying theater ride. Battle for Eire replaces the Europe in the Air at the Virginia park next year and follows a Fairy Guardian’s attempt to rescue mythical Ireland from the clutches of an evil Dark Lord. Will a simulator ride be able to avoid the slow-loading process that has made VR coasters such an annoyance for many theme park fans? We will find out next spring.<<

This should be amazing. And I have done the Seattle and Vancouver flight simulators, along with Soarin, so will be able to make a fair judgement on the experience.

Surprised that Disney didn't add VR to Increadicoaster.....

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I don't mind, I'd rather have disney use physical sets or video screens for theming than a headset.

I look forward to comparing the two experiences, since it is basically looking at the IMAX screen or the VR Googles, all the other parts, such as movements, wind and smell are used in both versions.

I have found with Revolution that I like to switch it up between wearing goggles and just riding it the classic way.

TwilightZone

I look forward to comparing the two experiences, since it is basically looking at the IMAX screen or the VR Googles, all the other parts, such as movements, wind and smell are used in both versions.

I have found with Revolution that I like to switch it up between wearing goggles and just riding it the classic way.
rides in other parks I don't mind it. But for disney I have different expectations. In my opinion though, disney should use A.R. I think that could add so much to many attractions that it is ridiculous.

TP2000

I enjoy that they made fun of Sea World for that ridiculously bad submarine ride they opened last year. The LegoLand one sounds much better. Just put Sea World out of its misery, please.

NobodyElse

From that "HangTime" link...

ocr-l-kbfcoaster-01-1.jpg

"Theme: Like the rest of the Boardwalk, it will be a beach theme, with queue walkways embellished with seashells and landscaping that will include sand and other seaside decor."
I'll leave this for the "Theme Doctorate Candidates" to properly discuss.

"Car layout: Four individual rows of connected cars for a total of 16 passengers per run, similar to GhostRider. Cars will feature surfboard-styled headrests."
Between this description and the attached image, something doesn't add up. Maybe the article was such a team effort that no single person (or editor) bothered to look at the whole package before sending it off to publish. But I could be mistaken...

NobodyElse

I enjoy that they made fun of Sea World for that ridiculously bad submarine ride they opened last year. The LegoLand one sounds much better. Just put Sea World out of its misery, please.

Yes, that's funny, and it almost has to be better than that Sea World thing. But, I'll reserve ultimate judgement until the attraction is finished, and compare the end result to that artwork. I remember seeing TV spots for their then new "Splash Battle" attraction. It looked fairly cool with pirate ships gliding out of the mist to come along side each other for some water-cannon action. Then, I saw it in person, in broad daylight with no cool low-lying fog effects.

splashbattle2_690.jpg

TwilightZone

Yes, that's funny, and it almost has to be better than that Sea World thing. But, I'll reserve ultimate judgement until the attraction is finished, and compare the end result to that artwork. I remember seeing TV spots for their then new "Splash Battle" attraction. It looked fairly cool with pirate ships gliding out of the mist to come along side each other for some water-cannon action. Then, I saw it in person, in broad daylight with no cool low-lying fog effects.

splashbattle2_690.jpg
It doesn't look awful, but it does look really eh. Like any non rollercoaster that you can see the track is a big no-no

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom