What to expect in March 2019

I've visited Walt Disney World every year since 1998, always in October. Over the last few years, it seems as though the crowds, and the humidity, have increased tenfold. I'm thinking about changing things up this year and moving my vacation time to March. I'm planning my trip around the first week of the Flower and Gardner Festival. I love the Food and Wine Festival and hope that swapping one festival for another won't leave feeling disappointed. I've reasoned that, though the Flower and Garden Festival won't have as many booths, every food item will be new. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? Will the weather and the crowds be noticeably different?

Last edited:

Stitch826

I've never been to Disney in March, but will warn you that crowds will likely be worse than October due to Spring Break vacations (both families with kids, as well as college students).

Upvote 0

drizgirl

I've never been to Disney in March, but will warn you that crowds will likely be worse than October due to Spring Break vacations (both families with kids, as well as college students).
Maybe? I think the first week of March might not be as bad. October gets busier as more schools opt for a "fall break".

Upvote 0

Spookie2018

Original Poster
I suppose the (larger) crowds would disappoint me least, as I realize that there are no slow times at Disney World any longer. Anyone with any experience with October vs March weather in Orlando? And, is there anyone that can provide insight as to how the
Food And Wine Festival compares with the Flower and Garden festival?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

If you're into gardening, you'll LOVE F & G...we were there the week after Easter about 3 years ago...yes there are crowds, i.e. spring break, but it didn't seem too bad compared to other horror stories... The weather was beautiful, hot in the 90's only 1 day and cool (sweatshirt. fleece pullover or a light jacket) at night ESPECIALLY if you use the buses...the A/C was CRANKED and it does get cold in them. Our 2 favorite times to go are in late spring or fall.

Upvote 0

Spookie2018

Original Poster
If you're into gardening, you'll LOVE F & G...we were there the week after Easter about 3 years ago...yes there are crowds, i.e. spring break, but it didn't seem too bad compared to other horror stories... The weather was beautiful, hot in the 90's only 1 day and cool (sweatshirt. fleece pullover or a light jacket) at night ESPECIALLY if you use the buses...the A/C was CRANKED and it does get cold in them. Our 2 favorite times to go are in late spring or fall.

Thanks! March is starting to sound like what I am looking for. Did you taste your way around the world at the Flower and Garden Festival? I'm hoping that, in terms of food booths, the F& G Festival is very similar to the International Food and Wine Festival...

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

Thanks! March is starting to sound like what I am looking for. Did you taste your way around the world at the Flower and Garden Festival? I'm hoping that, in terms of food booths, the F& G Festival is very similar to the International Food and Wine Festival...
Yes, it was pretty much the same...I would suggest skipping lunch that day and just eat around the world!

Upvote 0

DisneyOutsider

I believe it's the high school spring breaks that typically drive spikes at WDW, relatively speaking.

As for weather, it will most likely be much more pleasant than at any point during the food and wine festival. I plan to be there during that first week as well. F&G Festival for me is more fun than food and wine, but if you've never been to the Festival of the Arts, I'd say it's easily the most fun I've had at any of these festivals, and with the most manageable crowds.

I just think the combo of extreme heat and crowds and food and wine with nothing else to really look at makes Food & Wine a pretty weak offering.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Easter is April 21 next year so March should be a good time to go. Fewer crowds. (Okay. Schools have spring break throughout the month but the crowds should be nowhere near F&W levels.) Cooler weather. Epcot is beautiful during the F&G festival.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

As above poster said, being that later in April is Easter, early March should be great.
Like you, we always went in early November or December, but tried first week of March this year. The weather was perfect, in 70's most of the time. The crowds were not bad at all, certainly not spring break worthy. It was quite enjoyable with the weather and crowds. I wouldn't hesitate to go to WDW that time of year again at all. As for F&G, we only took our time viewing the beautiful topiaries and flowers, so can't help you with the food. It is a beautiful time of year to go to WDW, and I hope to go back at this time soon!

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

Going at the start of March you should have fewer schools and such being on break. In the metro Atlanta region most schools breaks are at the end of March, to first week of April. I've been for the start of Flower and Garden and the crowds were reasonable, weather was on the cool side, but was warmer just before and after my trip. Epcot seems to be more relaxed during F&G vs. F&W, during that early part of March.

Upvote 0

Starfan82

I did a trip in March 10 years ago to celebrate my 40th birthday! Loved the weather and the crowd levels. Looking forward to going again this March to celebrate my 50th!

Upvote 0

ctcdisneymama

Went in March in 2017 (March 4-11) and the weather was absolutely perfect. Crowds were minimal as well. We have also gone in early October and there is no comparison. October was still warm and humid and muggy, while March was literally perfect. The weather was cool enough we could wear shorts and short sleeves, a light jacket or sweatshirt at night. March was such a wonderful time that we have vowed to never go again any other time of the year. I recently just went a few weeks ago for Christmas time and it was 90 degrees. That trip, too, solidified our vow for March Forever. :)

F+G is amazing and worth the switch from October to March, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom