What to expect during disney's half marathon weekend?

phi2134

Original Poster
Going to be down in WDW for the 1/2 marathon weekend and was curious what to expect as far as crowds or just overall experiences during this event. Going to be staying at port Orleans riverside for the first time and pretty excited. Also if anyone has any tips or tricks during this event and time would greatly be appreciated :)

Ariel484

Going to be down in WDW for the 1/2 marathon weekend and was curious what to expect as far as crowds or just overall experiences during this event. Going to be staying at port Orleans riverside for the first time and pretty excited. Also if anyone has any tips or tricks during this event and time would greatly be appreciated :)
You're talking about this weekend, right?

Crowds may be a little heavy but not insane. There are road closures during the races and portions of the parks will be marked off with cones so that guests cannot cross on to the race course. Other than that it probably won't affect your vacation too much. :)

BigRedDad

My advice when there is a marathon is to avoid all transportation that takes you anywhere remotely near where it takes place. We got caught up in the horrible traffic for one to try to go to Epcot once. 1 hour with no buses coming to our stop, we weren't told the bus could not drop you off when one did come, and we were dropped off at the TTC only to be in a line with 1000s of people to get on the monorail. We walked to the Poly and got on a bus to DHS. We were staying at CSR and it took 2.5 hours to get to DHS.

To me, there is nothing wrong with this unless if they advertise the issues and let you know ahead of time. If we know, we would have just gone to AK or DHS to start with. They should post signs at the bus stops identifying the delays.

phi2134

Original Poster
The weekend I am talking about is February 23/24, Girlfriend and her sister are actually doing the 1/2 marathon on Sunday so I think we are going to get caught up in a lot of the congestion. Just was curious how busy the crowds usually get and what not at the parks, I am planning on this being a more relaxed vacation and not trying to cram in all the things we want to see because I think it might be busier.

Texas84

I've been there Marathon weekend the last 4 years and I never thought the crowds in the parks were bad. I doubt the parks will be bad during the February half especially since there is no full. This weekend is the big one. But I've never been.

BigRedDad

The park crowds in my case were not bad. The issue was traffic and the ability to get to where you were going. It was simply mis-communication. We should have realized when 12 DHS and AK buses went by and 0 for MK and Epcot. Once in the park, it was light crowds.

You are talking about Princess 1/2 Marathon Weekend. It will be busy but it wont be like 4th of July croaded or anything like that. The day of the race and the day after the parks will be more crowded with people showing off their bling :) Transportation to and from the hotels that are host hotels is always a bit iffy but plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom