What to do with old/used/expired Magic Bands?

jturner7

Original Poster
Ok - we're back from 7 nights of Disney fun, and I'm debating whether to throw away our MB's. I'm not really a clutter person so I generally don't hold onto things that don't have a purpose or strong sentimental value. If we can't re-use the bands on future trips (we can't right?), is there any reason to keep them?

There are a few listed on E-Bay - not sure if anyone would buy them - and there are some vague references to using them to unlock something on X-Box 360's Disney Infinity. Perhaps someone will start a Pinterest board with re-use ideas.

msteel

And even after the battery dies, the passive RFID will still work, and that can do anything that a RFID enabled Key to the World card can do.

Nemo14

Or you could make a chain with them for your holiday decorating...
th

Tom

Beta Return
I would suggest at least un-linking them from your MDE account. Otherwise, if you sell them or give them away, or someone gets a hold of them, they'll technically have access to your account via MB.

If you plan to visit WDW anytime in the next 3 years, just hang onto them. If you really want to get rid of them, bash them with a hammer and make them nice and destroyed.

JohnD

I would suggest at least un-linking them from your MDE account. Otherwise, if you sell them or give them away, or someone gets a hold of them, they'll technically have access to your account via MB.

If you plan to visit WDW anytime in the next 3 years, just hang onto them. If you really want to get rid of them, bash them with a hammer and make them nice and destroyed.

Tom, I'm returning in April with my parents. I already have one assigned to me from a previous trip but WDW is sending the three of us each a band. I understand the folks but you would think for me there would be a record that says, "Our records indicate that you already have a MB. Please click the box if you desire a new one for your upcoming trip" or something like that.

Not complaining but wouldn't that reduce the accumulation of MBs not to mention reducing costs by WDW not generating new MBs as often?

Tom

Beta Return
Tom, I'm returning in April with my parents. I already have one assigned to me from a previous trip but WDW is sending the three of us each a band. I understand the folks but you would think for me there would be a record that says, "Our records indicate that you already have a MB. Please click the box if you desire a new one for your upcoming trip" or something like that.

Not complaining but wouldn't that reduce the accumulation of MBs not to mention reducing costs by WDW not generating new MBs as often?

Yeah, I don't really get the whole sending one for every single reservation deal. I'm guessing that once they work out the bugs, and get the system working in general, they'll go back and fix things like this. Right now, they are just assuming that there aren't any (many) repeat MM+ guests yet, so they might as well just send them out every time.

Of course, they could save a lot more money if they weren't sending out booklets with custom magnets, and flash drives, for every single reservation. We have 3 of each now for our Feb/Mar triple-split-stay.

Disney Daddy

Yeah, I don't really get the whole sending one for every single reservation deal. I'm guessing that once they work out the bugs, and get the system working in general, they'll go back and fix things like this. Right now, they are just assuming that there aren't any (many) repeat MM+ guests yet, so they might as well just send them out every time.

Of course, they could save a lot more money if they weren't sending out booklets with custom magnets, and flash drives, for every single reservation. We have 3 of each now for our Feb/Mar triple-split-stay.

I can guarantee Disney isn't paying a dime for those MagicBands. I am willing to bet the cost of those MagicBands is neatly tucked away in our package price. If Disney gave the option of "opting out" of receiving a MagicBand, there may be a credit due to the customer; hence, this is probably why they send them out with each reservation...ultimately, we're the ones paying for the MagicBands, flash drives, magnets, etc..

dreamfinder

The bands will be linked to your MDE account from now til forever. You can reuse them on future trips, short range RFID should work for eons, long range will die off when the battery dies. So they will still work for park admission, FP+ etc, just not for some of the other unannounced stuff (perhaps like the new Photopass Memory Maker, not sure how that works yet).

surfsupdon

Threw ours out in a garbage can at AK entrance when we were yet again denied for lacking a ticket! Haha.

We chose to cancel our NYE trip because the crowds are high and MM+ has changed the way of touring the parks and getting on rides. We'd be waiting too much. We really maximized old FP. Oh, and the MagicBands were MAJOR letdowns.

Just our experience. We will be back for runDisney, but we did cancel our Dec trip. Hope you were able to get our Yacht Club room, if that was where you wanted to stay :)

JerseyDad

....I'd keep mine in a safe secure place ....in the hopes that they will be worth something in the future ... as a testament to the complete debacle created by a leading customer service innovator.

....just my opinion of course (feeling a bit pi$$y today)

Jim Chandler

OK SO YOU GET A MB. YOU LINK EVERYTHING VIA YOUR COMPUTER AND THEN AS SOME HAVE SAID YOU THROW IT AWAY.
QUESTION WOULD YOU THROW YOUR HARD DRIVE IN THE TRASH? WOULD YOU THROW YOU OLD CREDIT CARD IN THE TRASH?
FOLKS THE MB HAS SOME MEMORY AND IT PROBABLY LIKE MOST MEMORY DEVICES NEVER REALLY CAN BE CLEANED OF ALL INFORMATION.
BTW YOU CAN USE IT FOR FUTURE VISITS. IF YOU HAVE AN ANNUAL PASS LINKED YOU CAN USE IT FOR ANY VISIT. DID YOU LINK A CC TO IT? DID YOU UNLINK IT? DOES UNLINKING IT REALLY REMOVE IT?
SORRY BUT I DO NOT KNOW ALL THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE BAND THUS I WILL BE VERY CAREFUL WITH HOW I HANDLE IT.

Rob562

OK SO YOU GET A MB. YOU LINK EVERYTHING VIA YOUR COMPUTER AND THEN AS SOME HAVE SAID YOU THROW IT AWAY.
QUESTION WOULD YOU THROW YOUR HARD DRIVE IN THE TRASH? WOULD YOU THROW YOU OLD CREDIT CARD IN THE TRASH?
FOLKS THE MB HAS SOME MEMORY AND IT PROBABLY LIKE MOST MEMORY DEVICES NEVER REALLY CAN BE CLEANED OF ALL INFORMATION.
BTW YOU CAN USE IT FOR FUTURE VISITS. IF YOU HAVE AN ANNUAL PASS LINKED YOU CAN USE IT FOR ANY VISIT. DID YOU LINK A CC TO IT? DID YOU UNLINK IT? DOES UNLINKING IT REALLY REMOVE IT?
SORRY BUT I DO NOT KNOW ALL THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE BAND THUS I WILL BE VERY CAREFUL WITH HOW I HANDLE IT.

Two things:

a) Please turn off your Caps Lock. You're shouting...

b) There is *zero* personal or sensitive information stored on the Magic Band. No names, no credit card info, no addresses, no ticket info. All it has are three RFID systems that send out a serial number when queried by the various Disney systems they interact with. The Disney systems then use the serial numbers to look you up in their database.

Even if you lost the Band, using it to charge something to your credit card on file requires a PIN to be entered. A lost Band can also quickly be deactivated via the website, app or Guest Relations.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom