What to do with friend who has extra hearing sensitivity

gwklam

A friend will be joining me going to Disneyworld and has hyperacusis, basically has very density hearing. She has these customized musician ear plugs but am afraid what if it falls off during a ride, especially something like Aerosmith’s rockin roller coaster. Are there any solutions to letting her enjoy these rides? Without fearing the loudness and/or losing the ear plugs?

J_Krafty24

Can she use the cheap foam earplugs for rides where there is a risk of losing the expensive ones? Either that or wear a tight fitting winter headband that covers her ears.

Upvote 0

GVentola

I would avoid Rock'n'Roller Coaster altogether. They have the speakers blasting away right in your vehicle the whole way. The speakers would probably be right in her ears. That is the main attraction you'd have to watch out for. I would say be careful on Seven Dwarfs, Everest, Primeval Whirl, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain, too, not because of the noise, but because the movement on those might cause an ear plug to come loose. Though I could be being too concerned here--they say on Big Thunder "watch out for your hats and glasses", but while I often remove my glasses or put on a strap, others don't, and their glasses didn't come off during the ride. So the ear plugs, if tightly placed, might not either.

Upvote 0

gwklam

Original Poster
I would avoid Rock'n'Roller Coaster altogether. They have the speakers blasting away right in your vehicle the whole way. The speakers would probably be right in her ears. That is the main attraction you'd have to watch out for. I would say be careful on Seven Dwarfs, Everest, Primeval Whirl, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain, too, not because of the noise, but because the movement on those might cause an ear plug to come loose. Though I could be being too concerned here--they say on Big Thunder "watch out for your hats and glasses", but while I often remove my glasses or put on a strap, others don't, and their glasses didn't come off during the ride. So the ear plugs, if tightly placed, might not either.

Yea first time I took my glasses off (specifically something life space mountain), the experience was not worth it and normally glasses if the right size would not fall off), now I wear it every ride and it’s fine. But yes for the rockin roller coaster I was afraid about the music (and now that you bring up the audio comes from the sides of the seats) it may seem the risk is too high) I must just get her to go to a show like Frozen sing a long instead haha. I do think for other rides, as long as earplugs are stable in the ear, should be fine?

Upvote 0

GVentola

Yea first time I took my glasses off (specifically something life space mountain), the experience was not worth it and normally glasses if the right size would not fall off), now I wear it every ride and it’s fine. But yes for the rockin roller coaster I was afraid about the music (and now that you bring up the audio comes from the sides of the seats) it may seem the risk is too high) I must just get her to go to a show like Frozen sing a long instead haha. I do think for other rides, as long as earplugs are stable in the ear, should be fine?

I can't think of any other attraction that's extra loud. There is a scene in Fantasmic where a cannon suddenly goes off, startling some members of the audience. The fireworks might be too loud. Star Tours, the flight simulator, is bumpy--I've gotten bruised on that ride, but never had my glasses knocked off, so she should be safe. Dinosaur is also bumpy, but I don't think will be risky. Even though I like the ride and the song, I must remark that she might be grateful to have earplugs in during "it's a small world". All that repetitive singing! ;)

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

What about the silicone ear plugs you use for swimming? We used to use these on our kids when they were young during loud shows (Lights Motor whatever the heck that show was called)!

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The resort gift shops sell ear plugs - I've seen both the silicone ones for swimming and the foam ones to block noise. I think John's suggestion to get the type hunters use is best. Check Amazon.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom